Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Half-Breed

Country Flag: United States
      This is a really cool build. I like that you have a popular platform and yet are building everything yourself. Did you make that new front end as well?

Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

love it, this is going to be a badass car!

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
      This is a really cool build. I like that you have a popular platform and yet are building everything yourself. Did you make that new front end as well?
      Unfortunately no. its from Griggs. If I had to start over I would probably design and build all my own suspension or I would try something similar to what Ron S. has done. I'm a a little better educated now than I was when I purchased the suspension. With as much work as I am putting into making this suspension fit my car (even though it is designed for this car it seems to take a lot of effort to make sure everything is straight and lined up where it should be.) I probably could have been well on my way to building something I could call my own. Either way I think I'll still be happy with the end result. and the Griggs stuff is supposed to be fantastic on the track.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

mocking up front suspension now.

The coilover tower was meant to fit the original shock tower. with those removed I had to make a rear support.

Definitely a bit wider than the mustang II front end.

7* of caster. I've spent plenty of time aligning the front end to make sure everything will be in the correct place when I do the final welds. The lower ball joints are squared up with the rear suspension mounts then the rest of the front suspension references the lower ball joints.
      Zach

Country Flag: France
      Looks good , aligning is a pain but rewarding once rolling, any flares on the work?
      1972 Nova " Hotwhilz Special"

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...t&goto=newpost Under the knife!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwhilz View Post
      Looks good , aligning is a pain but rewarding once rolling, any flares on the work?
      Definitely planning on flaring. nothing too drastic, i'm trying to keep the car looking fairly close to its original design. check out the photoshop at the beginning of the thread and you will see what I am going for.
      Zach

After much measuring and refitting and remeasuring, I finally decided to go for it and do the final weld.

Zach

By complicating things, we complicate things...

You do nice work, Zach. Judging by your welds, I'd say that you could have built better parts than you bought (designs and concepts are frequently free for second and third parties, as are improvements). Nevertheless, it's good to see an MII unit on its way out. Those things were a disimprovement of the real Mustang's gear (or Falcon's, as it were). Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      By complicating things, we complicate things...

You do nice work, Zach. Judging by your welds, I'd say that you could have built better parts than you bought (designs and concepts are frequently free for second and third parties, as are improvements). Nevertheless, it's good to see an MII unit on its way out. Those things were a disimprovement of the real Mustang's gear (or Falcon's, as it were). Keep up the good work!
      with the lack of formal training that I have had, I consider that a huge compliment. Everything I have done so far should work well as a starting point. Since no project is ever complete, I'm sure I will modify things as I see fit.
      Zach

Figured I use the old cracked shock towers to fill in the holes.

Zach

Country Flag: France
      Good job on the closeouts, Man!! you work fast!
      1972 Nova " Hotwhilz Special"

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...t&goto=newpost Under the knife!

Quote Originally Posted by Hotwhilz View Post
      Good job on the closeouts, Man!! you work fast!
      LOL, Yeah I've been cheating. as soon as I get this thread caught up with where I am really at you should notice a pretty severe slowdown in my progress.
      Zach

Front end is mostly complete so I'm moving on to some bodywork. at least the rust replacement part. Previous pictures may have led you to believ this car had a good body. For the most part it its but the lower rear quarters were mostly fiberglass and bodyfiller. so, here is where the car starts to get ugly.

Unfortunately I didn't get any good before pictures after I took the paint off but here are some of the parts I had to make.

I plan to cut the flange off from inside the trunk . Ill clean everything up and make sure it is sealed later on to make sure I don't end up with rust issues where the patch starts. here is the almost finished patch:

A few more patches:

Zach

wow this is shaping up to be a real nice car... im doing same as you by trying to do all my own fabrication (keyword TRY) LOL.....
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

Country Flag: Australia
      I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the rear suspension design. I've been planning a similar set up to put under my dart.
      Hot rodder's recycle, wheres those prius' going when the tree huggers have a new fad.

Quote Originally Posted by craigs73 View Post
      wow this is shaping up to be a real nice car... im doing same as you by trying to do all my own fabrication (keyword TRY) LOL.....
      A lot of things I'm doing are first try's for me. If I can offer any advice, make sure you alternate sides. I keep starting on the passenger side. Then my work on the drivers side always turns out better. At least the side that I am going to see the most will look good.

Quote Originally Posted by linkstar69 View Post
      I'm looking forward to hearing what you think of the rear suspension design. I've been planning a similar set up to put under my dart.
      It may be a while before I can tell you how it performs. From what I hear it should be fantastic. However, I already don't like the lack of ground clearance, but since its close to the wheels it might turn out to be a non issue. One design I think is really cool is the wishbone link that agent47 uses on their harbinger. It looks like an extremely simple design.
      Zach

Country Flag: Australia
      Got any pics of your preferred design, I'm collecting pics atm
      Hot rodder's recycle, wheres those prius' going when the tree huggers have a new fad.

Still had a little rust on the rear fenders that needed to be patcfhed. this seemed like a good oportunity for flares. There isn't much I dislike about the way the 70 mustangs look, so I'm trying not to go too drastic.

I went through quite a bit of poster board trying to get this right, but now that i have it the way I wan't it I can use my emplate to make both sides.

1/4 inch rod for the lip.

test fit. I tacked the flare in place to mark where I need to cut.

everything in place ready to be finished

Zach

Quote Originally Posted by linkstar69 View Post
      Got any pics of your preferred design, I'm collecting pics atm
      Couldn't tell you which would perform better, mine or the suspension in the picture below. But If I do another one of these cars, I might consider trying to build something similar.

http://agentfortyseven.com/harbinger...mage20lrg.html
      Last edited by Zachalanche; 09-26-2011 at 07:30 AM. Reason: cant get picture to work.
      Zach

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com