Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

welding stainless with a mig

I have a small stainless tank that has a pinhole leak in it. It is only used for cleaning solutions, nothing flammable. I have no idea what type of stainless it is. I have read that you can weld stainless with a mig but I have never tried it. I know I will need wire, but what type(flux cored or not)? What type of gas?I am kind of in a pinch and need to have this done by Sunday and I dont know anyone to tig weld it for me. Or would I just be better off to just try to find someone Monday to weld it for me. ANY help would be greatly appreciated.

Country Flag: United States
      Find someone to tig it for you. Usually you need a tri mix to mig weld stainless properly. The investment to weld a pinhole isn't worth it.

You could always try some jb weld to get you through the weekend.....it will wire wheel right off to weld it then

You can use a roll of stainless wire in a mig with a push-pull setup, but honestly, you'd be MUCH BETTER OFF having someone TIG it for you.

You can weld stainless with a MIG welder, using standard steel (ER70S) wire, or stainless wire. If all you care about is the leak, ordinary wire will work fine. If want to use SS wire, you can either use standard 75/25 gas mix, or step up to tri mix (C02, Argon, Helium).

Or you can use a TIG machine. All will work fine.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Have to agree with everybody about tig being the best choice. Tried stainless with mig before, cold starts are not good for a leak free product. P.S., thought about jb weld???? Holding my gas tank for over 15 years.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com