Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Project Sabre, a 1971 Cutlass Pro-Touring car for the average Joe

EDIT: HERE ARE THE COMPLETED RENDERINGS!!! THANKS TO JASON RUSHFORTH!

We wanted to take a moment to introduce our future shop car and Autocross machine, called Project Sabre. The base of the project is a 1971 Oldsmobile Cutlass 'S'. We will be swapping in LS motor, manual transmission, chassis upgrades, custom brakes, Rushforth Wheels along with a slew of other killer upgrades.

The goals for this project are a platform to display our products in use, that we can also use competitively at the autocross tracks. But the main goal for this project is to build a very streetable and usable Pro-Touring Muscle Car that anyone can replicate with a little planning and elbow grease. This will not be an overpowered, overpriced car that spends all of its time at shows and on trailers. It is meant to be driven, and driven hard!

There are quite a few great folks involved with this build, including Bulldawg Musclecars, Jason Rushforth and others. We will be documenting the entire build from start to finish, so that everyone can see exactly what we used and why.

You can see our project site and updates here:
      www.projectsabre.com
      Last edited by SparkyRnD; 12-06-2011 at 02:29 PM.

Glad to see this project posted here, Sparky! We're looking forward to getting started on it!
      Joe Hinds

We are too. I am heading out tomorrow to pick the car up, dropping it off at your shop and updating the website and this thread with pictures.

Project Sabre is underway! Here are a few shots of it the day it arrived at the shop.

She's pimpin' with that white interior!

The "Rocket" 350, now gone to a new home in an '87 4-4-2

Joe Hinds

Can't wait for you to start the build. Do you guys have a budget?

As Sparky mentioned, this build is intended to show that it isn't necessary to have an air-to-water intercooled American Express Black card to have a nice Pro Touring car. If you're looking for the latest widget machined from billet unobtanium, you're probably not going to find it here. We are using off the shelf parts, and in some cases parts that will soon be released to the general public. We will also be using some used parts, where deemed safe and reliable enough. For less than the cost of a new crate motor, we will have a 400+ engine with a 6 speed manual transmission and a rear end that will take anything we throw at it. Make no mistake, while this car is being built to the highest standards, it is being built with a realistic budget in mind.
      Joe Hinds

Quote Originally Posted by joeko23 View Post
      Can't wait for you to start the build. Do you guys have a budget?
      There isn't a specific figure in mind, since we don't want to compromise the integrity of the build shooting for a number. Some things, like the wheels, aren't exactly budget items, but there are plenty of ways to save money building a car, and we will highlight those.
      Joe Hinds

gotcha, I will definitely stay tuned for the build

Throughout the build, we are going to update what we've spent on various parts. We want this build to be able to be replicated, so the prices we pay will be what are available all over, rather than just a one-in-a-million deal that no one will ever find again. We will also list the parts we use on Sabre, as well as the companies / locations where we purchase them. The best part will be early next year starting to run Sabre on courses and proving that this project not only works, but will take repeated floggings.

Safety though will be of top importance. Brakes, suspension, belts, and other items are being chosen for safety AND performance, not just because they look neat.

I'm so glad to see that you chose an Oldsmobile as your A-body to build. I can't wait to see what products you use.
      1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass S

http://fivelugs.com

Always interesting to see something other than a Camaro or Nova on here... will be interesting to follow.
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

cool project! can't wait to see more!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

Country Flag: New Zealand
      Cool.

I have an A Body, and a budget aswell so will keep an eye on your progress!
      Chris

68 El Camino - Street Track Drag - in progress..

Toyota Station Wagon - only thing that actually runs....

Quote Originally Posted by BulldawgMusclecars View Post
      As Sparky mentioned, this build is intended to show that it isn't necessary to have an air-to-water intercooled American Express Black card to have a nice Pro Touring car. If you're looking for the latest widget machined from billet unobtanium, you're probably not going to find it here. We are using off the shelf parts, and in some cases parts that will soon be released to the general public. We will also be using some used parts, where deemed safe and reliable enough. For less than the cost of a new crate motor, we will have a 400+ engine with a 6 speed manual transmission and a rear end that will take anything we throw at it. Make no mistake, while this car is being built to the highest standards, it is being built with a realistic budget in mind.
      An air to water intercooled black card!!!! haaaaa that is a priceless statement!!!
      68 Camaro RS twin turbo
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-Intent-V-2-0

1993 Toyota Supra 6768 Built Single Turbo

Slow Lifted Jeep No TURBO :(

Randal F

Here we are getting started on the teardown:

The 350 removed. The firewall and undercarriage are in surprisingly good shape. I'm used to doing tons of rust repair, but there will be very little of that here. Even the factory red oxide primer is visible on the bottom of the firewall.

Somewhere underneath all that wiring and ugliness is an iron block 6.0 LQ4. We'll take care of that.

The seller of this T56 failed to mention it was painted flourescent snot green...that is going to be fun to strip off.

Joe Hinds

Quote Originally Posted by deejai35 View Post
      I'm so glad to see that you chose an Oldsmobile as your A-body to build. I can't wait to see what products you use.
      That was all Sparky's decision, but I'm glad, too. Funny thing is, it isn't the only Olds at the shop. We have a '65 Starfire here too, getting some minor repairs, and may soon have a 4-4-2 convertible.
      Joe Hinds

IS there any way you can get the paint code on that tranny for me?
      Matt

The truck oil pan isn't going to work with the BRP/Musclerods mounts (or anybody's, for that matter), so Sparky ordered the GMPP Muclecar Pan Kit, PN 19212593. This came from our own Jeff Tate at Day's Chevrolet.

The Cutlass had an automatic, so a set of pedals was ordered.

The stock steering wheel has to go. In its place, this one from Momo.

Joe Hinds

Quote Originally Posted by muthstryker View Post
      IS there any way you can get the paint code on that tranny for me?
      I saw an S10 completely painted with the stuff a few days ago, so I'm sure Schlepp Boys or Twilight Zone will have it.
      Joe Hinds

Its just, so, bright.
      Matt

Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com