Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Mil-Spec Bulkhead Connector

I'm wiring "No Name," my 1968 Camaro project car, and need to pass about 22 wires from the passenger compartment into the engine bay. None of the wires will be carrying more than 0.1 amps, most much less than that.

I found and purchased the Painless bulkhead connector, but realized that it's going to be REALLY ugly:

You can't heat shrink or otherwise hide the epic fail that is the retention comb (the white thing) because the retention bolt is dead center in the comb and this thing will be visible in my engine compartment.

Surfing the web, I've found 22 conductor Mil Spec connectors that look like they'd have the level of funtionality, servicability and no-frills appearance that I'm looking for. However, in trying to use any of the sites (Digi-Key, Mouser) that list these connectors to see what I might be able to do, I'm totally lost.

What I'd like to do is a bulkhead recepticle on a plate that I'll fashion to cover the hole where the old fuse block was, and then I'd like to use a right angle connector to direct the cable out to the driver's side of the car so I can run it to the radiator core support between the fender and the inner fender well. The connector I want is like this:

Name:  Connector.jpg
Views: 4694
Size:  98.7 KB

I'll be mounting the front ISIS power cell on the core support, along with some other items. I think this could be a pretty functional setup, but I don't want to order $200 or so worth of connectors that won't work.

My questions are: (1) what can I order that can be assembled by careful soldering, or crimping with Delphi type crimpers? (2) can I do anything for strain relief on the back of the panel mounted recepticle? and (3) What haven't I thought of?

In short, is there anyone out there familiar with Mil-Spec connectors who can advise me on what I need to order?

Mike Kelcy - '68 Camaro with some stuff done to it.

I used this http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=761. Its mounted where the heater motor was.

Quote Originally Posted by EFI69Cam View Post
      I used this http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=761. Its mounted where the heater motor was.
      Thanks for the link. That looks like it'll do the job just as well with the sacrifice of a lot fewer brain cells.

You might want to try this guy..... Billy Utley. I don't know him at all but I do know he builds some bad ass cars. He appears to be very talented. I followed his Nova build and I know he used Mil-Spec connectors on that build. He is now a site sponsor and I am sure he can probably point you in the right direction and probably order what you need. Here is a link to his website http://www.bbclassicsinc.com/
      Greg

Man, where do I begin on Mil-spec connectors. All kinds of options. There are metal, plastic, crimp on, solder on... Several brands to choose from. They are actually pretty easy to work with. They can be very confusing to order though. I will take a look and see if I can find some part numbers for you and report back. If you only plan on the one connector, I would suggest the solder type so as to avoid purchasing the crimp tool.
      Nick DiPrenda

Quote Originally Posted by dipren443 View Post
      Man, where do I begin on Mil-spec connectors. All kinds of options. There are metal, plastic, crimp on, solder on... Several brands to choose from. They are actually pretty easy to work with. They can be very confusing to order though. I will take a look and see if I can find some part numbers for you and report back. If you only plan on the one connector, I would suggest the solder type so as to avoid purchasing the crimp tool.
      Solder on is fine. Thanks for the help.

Mike,

Go to page 21 in this catalog. http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf%5C12-022.pdf

It will explain the part numbers for you. Scroll up to see what the insert configurations mean. You may want to choose a connector with more than 22 circuits after you look at the insert configurations.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...OTZlOWU4&hl=en

See if that link works for you. I limited the search to 22 conductor, panel type connectors. That should be a print screen of the results.
      Nick DiPrenda

Mike,

Go to page 21 in this catalog. http://www.amphenol-aerospace.com/pdf%5C12-022.pdf

It will explain the part numbers for you. Scroll up to see what the insert configurations mean. You may want to choose a connector with more than 22 circuits after you look at the insert configurations.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...OTZlOWU4&hl=en

See if that link works for you. I limited the search to 22 conductor, panel type connectors. That should be a print screen of the results.
      Thanks for the help. I looked at both, but I may simply be too stupid to figure out Mil-Spec connectors. I'll take another run at them tomorrow.

Mike,

PM me if you need help figuring the stuff out. I will shoot you my number and you can give me a ring. I have print catalogs at the office and can help you work through it. I am reasonably familiar with these as we work with them at my day job.

Nick
      Nick DiPrenda

Mike,

PM me if you need help figuring the stuff out. I will shoot you my number and you can give me a ring. I have print catalogs at the office and can help you work through it. I am reasonably familiar with these as we work with them at my day job.

Nick
      PM on the way.

Get it right Mike so I can call you over when it's time to do mine....
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

I can't believe more people don't do it this way! I have been planing on this method since day one and have done it before on a few other projects! Its lots of extra work upfront but saves a huge headache later when you want to pull stuff apart to upgrade or fix something!!

I found these but haven't tried them yet..... https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ead-connectors

I used the Molex setup on a customer's car in conjunction with an ISIS installation. I'll be using those connectors on Unfair too. The biggest difference between the Molex and Mil-spec stuff is that the Mil-spec stuff is usually anodized aluminum, where the Molex XRC stuff is black plastic. The Molex XRC can be installed with a standard crimping tool, and most of the Mil-spec connectors require a radial crimping tool. The price difference is about 3 to 1, and a new radial crimper is about $500.

I offer Molex kits (connector bodies, back shells, pins and barrels) for sale, though I'm out of stock right now. Time to get more in!

jp
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by EFI69Cam View Post
      I just received my one of those 30-way bulkhead connectors from EFI connection last week - just be aware this thing is humungo! Check the outter dimensions before you order. I will use it if we can find a decent way to package it. I went this direction is because I am trying to pass my entire LS engine harness through the firewall (hidden in trans tunnel). That includes the coil-pack wiring which I'm told can spike close to 13A so this is the only one I could find that would support that. I'm now considering splitting the harness and passing through using two smaller connections - one like the XRC one JohnP mentions for low power and something else for the few higher power circuits.

Based on what I have seen, I would definitely do the XRC connector for what you are looking to connect.

Gregg
      Last edited by Gandalf; 08-22-2011 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      I used the Molex setup on a customer's car in conjunction with an ISIS installation. I'll be using those connectors on Unfair too. The biggest difference between the Molex and Mil-spec stuff is that the Mil-spec stuff is usually anodized aluminum, where the Molex XRC stuff is black plastic. The Molex XRC can be installed with a standard crimping tool, and most of the Mil-spec connectors require a radial crimping tool. The price difference is about 3 to 1, and a new radial crimper is about $500.

I offer Molex kits (connector bodies, back shells, pins and barrels) for sale, though I'm out of stock right now. Time to get more in!

jp
      John

Do you have a link to where your selling these? Will the weatherpak crimp tool work for these?

Robert

Hey Robert,

No links. My marketing department has really let me down this year, lol. Drop me a line or give me a call and I'll take you through what I've got.

Used carefully, the weather pack crimper will work.

jp
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Hey Robert,

No links. My marketing department has really let me down this year, lol. Drop me a line or give me a call and I'll take you through what I've got.

Used carefully, the weather pack crimper will work.

jp

Cool thanks man, I'll hit you up soon.

Robert

Perfect timing....

I'm trying to figure out which connectors to get too....

I'm using the FAST XFI ECU and ignition box, and an ISIS system..... so any help on the best way to do thias and what connectors would work best... I understand there are limits of how many AMPS can be run through some, plus there area alot of different wire guages for each system....

I dont want to buy some expensive crimper, and prefer the smaller round connectors over the big rectangular ones

Ned, the Molex XRC is rated at 13A per circuit, with either 18 or 31 circuit connectors.
      John Parsons

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com