Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Tube Chassis for Protouring Cuda

I would like to build a tube chassis pro touring car. I plan on doing all of the work myself with the help of a few friends that have tackled tube chassis drag cars. Being a Mopar guy, my plan is a 70 Cuda in a serious trans am package. I have a wrecked 74 body that has front end damage, but the shell is in good shape. My plan is to cut the body at the rockers and the entire floor to trunk. I値l also cut most of firewall to move it back so I can move engine back as well. I値l have a full cage and aluminum interior and floor like most drag cars, I just want to be able to turn.
      My question is which front suspension to use. Most of the tube chassis drag cars my friends have done utilize Mustang II f/e痴. My thoughts so far are Corvette not sure which gen, or starting with mopar spindles and making my own upper and lower control arms. Is there a way to get attachment points for corvette f/e痴 or a chassis book that would give specs for the track width etc. I壇 like to make something similar to the Schwartz chassis, but I知 a build it myself kind of guy.
      I値l go four link in rear with floating axles in an 8 セ housing.
      I知 early in the planning stage as I am working on my next project, 74 Charger track car Petty clone, but I want to figure out the direction so I can do as much research as I can. Thanks in advance, mike.

Country Flag: United States
      Mark:
      "Bad Ast" Astro Van. Just because I did it... Doesn't mean it's possible...
      This my Bad Ast thread...
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...roject-Faze-II
      This is my Fotki album...
      http://astroracer.fotki.com/

Since you are willing and able to build yourself I would look into going with the geometry from a 2nd generation Camaro/Firebird suspension. Offers a bunch of room for and is supported by the aftemarket.

Vince @ msp fabrication
      MrQuick ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε

Gant's build is exactly what I'm looking for. I'll have to touch base with him. I've looked at the chasis builders and like what they're doing, I just enjoy doing that kind of stuff and learning like Gant is doing. Mike

If you have nothing but time, money, and a desire to learn, go for it and get crazy. That's exactly what I've done with my Dart and it's been a ton of fun so far. I've learned a lot and I have a lot more to go. Looking forward to picking up TIG welding later this year. I love these home-built, full-chassis builds and I'll be watching this one as well.
      Will Ellis
      1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
      Build Thread

Good luck with your project.

Update... I knew I wanted to do some front end aero and remembered the Legendary Super Cuda had some sort of modded front end. A quick google and I revised my plan. I had been looking at Gen 3 Hemis but was never really satisfied with the aftermarket support, so after looking at the superCuda I will be buying a wrecked Viper and using the 600 hp V10 and 6 speed as well as independent rear. I'll probably stick with original Viper stuff at first and then upgrading. The one area I will change will be a pushrod suspension. I'll also used some carbon fiber (some structurally) to reduce weight. Viper spindles and hubs and home made Upper and lca's. Me and my buddy the fabricator will probably visit some pt chassis shops for engineering help as he has only done drag cars but did do some dirt cars in the 60's.

I've done a 1/8 scale drawing for insipration, but need to finish current project before I go big on this one. Mike

When you need insperation...click here http://www.legendarymotorcar.com/site/552

That's where the change came from. Mike

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com