Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

OPTIMA Power Summit-2011-Sandhill Open Road Challenge

I have been able to do a lot of events in the last couple years, even put on several. I have done 2 complete power tours, 6 trips to SEMA, and 1000s of miles in my hot rods.
      I must say, this last week has been the absolute best car guy week I have ever done.
      Several weeks ago, I got an invite to the event from optima. They planned a summit to talk about the future of events, the direction of the hobby, and invited a very impressive group of folks to participate. I felt honored just to make the cut.
      I started Monday morning with Yancy heading to Nashville, to hook up with Finch and some of the regular suspects that go to many events. New comers David Sloan, Brad Granger and John Parsons, along with Albert met us at Brians, and the fun started. Later, in St. Louis, we met up with Kyle Tucker, Tom and Deb Farrington and Tom McBride.
      I always say that the trip is half the fun and this one proved me right again. Brad was working on his Rat Pack status, and ended up with over 3000 miles so he and David Sloan made the "Pack" riding in the 67 camaro. On arriving at MPH we got settled into our condo overlooking the track, then after a great dinner and a few "parade laps" we were in for a real treat. They have a full size school bus that they use to tour the track. Ever toured a road course, in a school bus, AT SPEED? Me either but now I am hooked.
      We got to MPH in Hastings and met up with the rest of the crew on Tuesday morning. My buddy Bill Goldberg came out even though his car was not finished, and we got him hooked up with a Z06 for the event.
      Tuesday we spent the day at Motorsports Park Hastings. They had set up instructors for us and it being a new track for all of us, that really helped learn the track. After having too much fun there, Albert and Richard Winchester treated the crew to a full on dinner, bison, fillets, and whatever refreshments you liked.
      Wednesday the whole crew traveled on to Arnold, Nebraska, home to a 53mile open road race, that you run in classes. The optima group was given a 91 special class.
      The SORC is a two day, two part program. After tech and drivers meetings on Thursday, it was up EARLY Friday morning to the 1/2 mile or 1 mile "Shootout". We were all in the 1/2 mile class, and got to run 3 times, on a long open streach of highway. My best time was a 127.9, not bad for a 4000 pound boat. The rest of the day was filled with friends great food at the Apple Inn in Cozid, and a "spirited" trip up the course being filmed for a episode on Hot Rod TV. We were able to run the course, all 28 miles both ways to get ready for the real thing on Saturday.
      Saturday morning we woke up to rain, but that passed, and did not delay the race long. Soon enough our class was up and I was the first one to run. I was able to get a local guy, Jessie Corbin, to be my navigator and that really helped with course timing, corner warnings,etc.
      I am happy to report that Brad finished first, I was a close second, Yancy and Tom were third and Albert finished 4th. Rat Pack cleaned up for sure.
      I am sure others have long stories to add, but again, a special thanks to Cam, Ryan, Kristin, Jim and everyone that put so much time into making this possible. I am not much usually on plaques, but I assure you the 2nd place finish will have a special spot in the Toy Box when you get there for RTTHs 7 in a few weeks.
      It was great to see everyone and met new friends. Stay tuned, this will be, IMO a must do event from now on, and I will see that anyone that wants to, gets the chance to come and play. Who knows, you might even get a invite to the SORC, something people wait years to get.

Last edited by Bill Howell; 08-14-2011 at 06:41 PM.
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

That's really cool Bill.
      Sounds like you guys had a good time.

Any Video ????
      Jeff Tate
      U.S.A.
      "The best thing about participating in these events is that you get to hang out with a group of intelligent like minded people who live to achieve things in their lives. You won't find a lazy, mean, or dumb bone in their bodies." Bret Voelkel, RideTech

I was there and also am new to this site. I met Optima1 (Jim 7ft 2"?) and said to join this site so hello! I have some vid still on the camera and if you guys want ill dl it and get it up. I have a 72 Dart that I have been slowly changing from drag car to pro tourer just for the this event and was very happy to see some notoriety finaaly being given to this awesome event in the middle of Nebraska. Thanks for adding even more coolness to this event guys, and hopefully I will get to know you all a little better now that im on here.

There are a few people I want to give a special thanks to.
      George Anderson, Founding partner at MPH, thanks so much for your hospitality, friendship, condo accommodations, hookup on contacts for Bill Goldberg track and SORC car, making sure everything was always just right for us, being our tour guide, and the list goes on.
      Terry Klatt for letting us rip it up at your Toy Box, for lettering up the Vette, and every thing else you have done to help make this happen.
      Joe Shown, founder of SORC for making sure we all got a spot at SORC, and that we were treated like royalty. You and all the people with SORC that made this a very special highlight in my life.
      Bill G, what can I say, I had a blast hanging with you brother, you're one of a kind and made the week such a fun time. Thanks for coming out and being just one of the guys in our small corner of the world. One thing, you have been banned from driving at SORC for life after your conduct on the course, so be sure to bring Wanda when you come back next year.....lol
      Sid, you da Man for hooking Bill and Brian up with Z-06s for SORC. Maybe if I can win the lottery, I can get the JSB ZR1 before it gets gone.

One sad note, Bobby Gottsch, that had loaned his car at MPH and told him to drive it like he stole it passed away later Tuesday evening, a real shocker for us all, RIP Bobby.
      Last edited by Bill Howell; 08-14-2011 at 07:10 PM.
      Bill

Trailers are for BOATS!

Sounds like a blast!! Any pics?
      66 Chevelle - LS-Leap

LQ9 / T56 Complete - Phase 2 in process!!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-LS-Heap-quot
      SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, Advanced Induction, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock LS-Kit, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Automotive, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy Suspension, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

heres some cell pics
      Attached Images Attached Images              

wicked!!!
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

Sounds awesome! I wish I could have been there...........I'll have to add this event to my list of "some day.........."
      Brandon Wiedeman
      1972 Suburban
      1967 Chevy II - Project not yet started

I have about 3 lifetimes worth of projects planned out in my head!
      Wiedo's

The event was awesome! Chad took a bunch of photos...as soon as we have a chance to sort thru them, we'll post some up.

Tom Tomlinson
      Holley

Cool stuff! I am so jealous. Maybe next year I'll get to go play too....

Robert

Oh and I found this news cast yesterday, keep your eyes open for the boat lol.

http://www.knopnews2.com/index.php?o...nge&Itemid=105

Robert

Great event!

I'm working on some images and video.. but I was on vacation so I didn't take as many as usual.. bummed we didn't place in the timing, guess that "stopwatch malfunction" in the first leg was fatal ;)

Car ran great and I was pretty happy.. Ran 148.9 mph in the half mile which I'm pretty sure was fasted for our group although Parsons was just 3-tenths slower...

But you know, even though all the driving was fun the best part was hanging out with all of my frindes.. congrats to Brad, Bill, and Tom for thier rally wins and I'm looking forward to next year (hopefully) and a faster class (definetly).

Oh, and I HIGHLY reccomend this event...
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

What an awesome experience! The racing and car events were cool, and so was the trip, the meals together, hanging out at the bar, fixing Brad's car, getting lost in both Nebraska and Kansas, David's "pizza", the Bacardi bus, and on and on.

Great time! One of those lifetime things.

jp

ps. Any chance somebody can get the lap times from Hastings posted? I'd kinda like to see that in print.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Sounds awesome Bill, congrats on the great finish.
      Matt

Current project: " Chain Reaction "

A.K.A. " BIG " by wife, biatch in garage.

1969 RS Camaro L92 T56 Quadra-link, CW sub, Ford 9" a progressive build.

Ex track car: 1995 Camaro LS1 T56

An amazing time! It is definitely on our list of events to try to make next year. As usual we had a blast with what I have started calling the "usual suspects", but more important than that I feel like we got the chance to make some new friends that will make future events that much better.

Here's my favorite of the Chevelle at MPH:

I snagged this one of the Z06 from optima's Facebook page:
      Name:  Z06_turning.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  185.9 KB
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

This is something I hope to do in the future!! Thanks for the pictures!!
      66 Chevelle - LS-Leap

LQ9 / T56 Complete - Phase 2 in process!!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...t-LS-Heap-quot
      SC&C, Kore3, Detroit Speed, BBS, Advanced Induction, TickPerf, Currie, Moser, Holley, Hellwig, Edelbrock LS-Kit, Mast, Wilwood, BP-Automotive, StopTech, Ridetech, Hotchkis, UMI, Energy Suspension, AAW, B&B Classic's, PPG, Aeromotive, Canton, C&R, Sparco, Ididit, Spectre, Bridgestone, DakotaDigital, Alpine, RockfordFosgate

"""""""""""""An absolute Blast""""""""""""" Oh and did I say I enjoyed myself too LOL....

Gang this is a bucket list event and going there with the gang we did only made it better than what you could think possible... George from MPH and Joe from the SORC made sure we had everything anyone could ask for and more... They went so far out of their collective ways to extend hospitality I wanted to post a thank you again here on the PT site should they visit the thread over the coming days....

Now for all those that think they can pull a trip like this off (and can even have the good fortune of getting in) here is my version of what to expect.... Start off with Two parts ****s and giggles,,,, followed by major perm a grin,,, only to be out done by a main line adrenaline push... I know detailed, pointed and to the point,,, what did you think I would lay it all out for you LOL ????
      Get in a car if life (and entry luck) affords you the opportunity and attend this as you won't be sorry... A life experience not to be missed!!!....
      Carbon Kustoms Limited
      A.K.A. Albert from Toronto

OMG!!!
      I had one of the best times i have ever had going to events! It will be hard to top this one. I made it in the Rat Pack what an honor, I mean it just don't get much better than that! Thank you for letting me hang with you guys.
      I hope to be back there next year in our car! The track at Hastings was Killer Very nice an clean, The Bus was Awesome to say the least. They treated us so good i was just loving life!!!

Steve ask if i could help him out with driving Penny to Arnold (It was so had to say yes to that one LOL!!) I got to spend about an 1 an a1/2 hours of real quality time with her!

Hanging out with Jimi an Bret ,Brad ,John,Albert, an the friends we made @ Susie Was a blast to say the least!! Good time's for sure.

I plead the 5th on the Pizza LOL!!

optima you guys rock , You treated us so good, THANKYOU!

But i have to say the Very best time was Riding with my friend Brad in his Killer 67 Atomic orange Camaro for about 2500 miles!! I know we laugh so much my jaw was hurting,
      The priceless look on Bills face when Brad an i were riding up the highway with our helmets on was so cool!! An the looks from everybody in our group was the best!!( They probably thought we had lost it. LOL!!)

This is a must do event!! But you got to do it with a group because it just makes it better!!!

Thank you Guys an Girls for letting me hang out with you!
      David Sloan

If you’re suggesting sending men with weapons of war to take my weapons of war,then I’m fairly certain that’s what’s called an act of war… and the definition of tyranny.which coincidentally is the reason for the second amendment to begin with!

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ght=fun+camaro

https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...lcamino-build!

Well....
      Where do I begin.
      Billy Howell: Thank you very much for making sure I stuck to the plan and took part in the epic journey....even though I had no vehicle to drive in the rally( other than my rental which was a KIA). When I say epic journey, let's just understand that I do not use this term lightly. I have been fortunate enough to do many things during my lifetime, and this event is right at the top of the list! Oh wait, I had TWO vehicles! Through Billy Howell, George Anderson,Sid Harchelroad,Bobby Gottsch and I'm sure others, I was provided a track prepped Vette on Thursday, and a Callaway ZO6 for the SHOOtOUT and Open Road Challenge later in the week. I know getting me these vehicles was not an easy task and to all that lent a helping hand I am forever grateful. I suppose the group effort is in a way a small microcosm of what this PROTOURING community is all about. One big happy family. As Billy mentioned above, the gentleman that provided me with the track car, Bobby Gottsch, suddenly passed away Thursday morning. I was very honored and excited that Bobby let me drive the snot out of his car. ......but even more positively affected by just sitting and talking to this special man. Bobby's passing put an entirely different perspective on the trip for me. He was a wonderful man that will be sorely missed. RIP my friend.
      I'm at a loss for a detailed explanation of the trip, but let's just say the cars were great but the people made the trip. I thought y'all were crazy, but I didn't know you were all NUTS!!!!!
      Whether it was the Billy and the Rat Pack, other Protouring members,optima, or our wonderful hosts........this journey will be repeated. That is if we get a spot and they somehow let me come back!!!!!!

Thank you everyone for letting me tag along.

BTW...pictures are all good but none with me wearing those "bracelets"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com