Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Chad's 68 Camaro V3.0 begins

Version 1.0 of my 68 Camaro was a great car. In fact between V1.0 and 3.0 your average person looking at the car won't notice a huge difference. On the street their won't be a huge difference. However, like many on this site I can't leave well enough alone and after owning the car for 5 years I'm doing an even bigger upgrade than V2.0 was.

V1.0 had the equivalent of a Hotchkis TVS kit with 16 TTII wheels, EFI, 6 speed and was a great street car. Here is a pic.

However, after attending my first track day in 2009 I wanted MORE. So Version 2.0 consisted of ATS AFX spindles, SPC upper and lower control arms, C6 Z51 front brakes, 18" wheels with better rubber and eventually an adjustable rear bar to give me better handling. I did a post on that round of upgrades here: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...fun&highlight=

Here is one of my favorite shots V2.0 in action:

So

After getting more and more into track days I've embarked on Version 3.0 of my car. I really want a 68 Camaro that can shine on a road course / track day. Current planned upgrades are:

MORE POWA!!! In the form of:
      - Mast Motorsports LS3 427. Have already picked this up off of craigslist, never installed.

Better Handling!!!! In the form of:
      - TCI front subframe with double adjustable coil overs and 13" 6 piston willwoods.
      - TCI rear torque arm with double adjustable coil overs and 13" 4 piston willwoods.
      At the same time I will be swapping out my 8.5" 10 bolt to a 12 bolt but keeping the 3.73 ratio and posi.

I really wanted to run more tire up front and already had rubbing issues with my V2.0 set up. I've seen TCI kick but with their car at a variety of autocrosses and RTTC and appreciate the bang for the buck of that set up. And since I'm swapping out the rear and suspension now was the time if ever to mini tub. So that is what I'm doing. Target is to run 275 front tire and 315 rear tire on 18" rims. Because I also am upgrading to FIKSE Profil 5S wheels I did a 9.5" front and 11.5" rear rim to allow me to go 285 up front evenutally and switch between 315 and 335 out back.

I wasn't exactly suffering traction problems in the rear, rather I continued to suffer from too much understear for my tastes. However, with the addition of another 250 horsepower from the engine upgrade the mini tub seemed like a good idea.

I will hopefully be posting lots of pics as the build progresses.

Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

As I mentioned above I've decided to do a Mini Tub. However, I somewhat agonized over this decision and figuring out the logistics for it took a lot longer than I expected. The cost of the Mini Tub is very high in relation to the overall project budget and handling wise my most important goal was to get larger rubber up front, not necessarily in the back lol.

But the decision was made and after a quick trip to Classic Industries to pick up a set of DSE mini tubs I dropped the car off at Pomona Valley Customs. These guys were recommended by TCI and are close to the TCI shop so I am hoping to pick up the car and suspension parts at the same time lol.

Quick tip. Anyone else in SoCal who wants to get their hands on DSE mini tubs in a quick period of time classic industries stocks them and did price mach the $350 advertised price of DSE for me (otherwise they are $389).

So PVC sent me some progress pics today which is why I decided to finally start my project thread. I don't have the fab skills or desire to try on a car as clean as mine (not to mention no welder...) so I knew from the beginning I'd be hiriing this part of the job out.

Here is my trunk after 5 years under the trunk mat. Still nice and clean though

This is them starting on the 2nd tub.

Cutting out the passenger side tub and part of the trunk pan. Goodbye shock mounts!

Frame rail narrowed:

DSE wheel tub going in:

Shot of the new tub against the frame rail:

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product including what the welds look like. I'm also tempted to pay for the sub frame and torque arm install. Even though I can do that work myself it's going to be tough in my tiny garage and I've been having chronic back pain since January. I can throw my back out putting on shoes :/

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

looks great chad you da man great job
      john
      1972 NOVA SPEED TECH TORQUE ARM AND FRONT ARMS , RUSHFORTH NIGHT TRAINS, DRIVERZ INC
      BUILD LINK
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...t-(GREY-MATTER)

Oh Oh, Chad's going deep this time!! LOL

Hope all goes well Chad. Looking forward to watching this come together.

BTW, Awesome track pic!!

Gaetano Cosentino
      Dont Drive Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

Chad, she's gonna be a beast when done. Best of luck, and go easy on your back bro!
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Chad, great project. My last Camaro was a red 68 and when I first joined PT and saw Sal's it was version 1.0 of my current build. Congrats Sir! Keep the updates coming...
      Ron in SoCal
      69 Camaro in progress
      http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=31246

Used to be known as flash911

Looking good, Keep us updated..I know about about back issues, I through mine out sweeping out my trailer... SO take it easy

Nice! I vote to pay for the installs. Driving time >> wrenching time. And you may be able to salvage BW and turn it into a shakedown weekend.
      Steven

1968 Camaro: Project "TRACKDAY"

Latest Track Weekend Video

Build in Progress

Needs more pictures!

You mentioned you are "keeping" the posi from you 10-bolt to the 12-bolt? Are you going to use adapter bearings?

If you ever need a hand Chad, don't hesitate to call.
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

SWEEET!! Looks good chad! If you ever think of swapping those seats, let me know. ;)
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

hey chad check this out to get a wide tire up front and corrects bumpsteer
      http://www.ridetech.com/store/muscle...r/tru-turn-en/
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

Thanks everyone. Nervous and excited for version 3.0!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nessumsar View Post
      Needs more pictures!

You mentioned you are "keeping" the posi from you 10-bolt to the 12-bolt? Are you going to use adapter bearings?

If you ever need a hand Chad, don't hesitate to call.
      Hey John. Yeah who doesn't like pics?? My 10 bolt will be left intact. I'm getting a complete brand new 12 bolt from Currie. Just meant that the setup will be similar in that it will have the same gear ratio and also a posi.

If I'm able to sell the motor for a good price than I will sell everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by sik68 View Post
      Nice! I vote to pay for the installs. Driving time >> wrenching time. And you may be able to salvage BW and turn it into a shakedown weekend.
      Trust me that is something I think about though my new wheels would not be ready in time.

Quote Originally Posted by 6'9"Witha69 View Post
      SWEEET!! Looks good chad! If you ever think of swapping those seats, let me know. ;)
      I will let you know. Currently no plans in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by craigs73 View Post
      hey chad check this out to get a wide tire up front and corrects bumpsteer
      http://www.ridetech.com/store/muscle...r/tru-turn-en/
      I saw that a matter of days after going the TCI route. No regrets but if they determine it to work with AFX spindles I would of been all over it.

sorry chad i gotta ask i got on you domain page after seeing pic in your sig is that your wife or a model shes a hottie :D
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

sorry chad i gotta ask i got on you domain page after seeing pic in your sig is that your wife or a model shes a hottie :D
      Haha, I think for Chad's sake, it better be his wife.

Glad to see your plans coming together. You're pretty much going to have any entirely new animal on your hands.

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by 69MSA View Post
      Haha, I think for Chad's sake, it better be his wife.

Glad to see your plans coming together. You're pretty much going to have any entirely new animal on your hands.

Matt
      When my wife saw the pics I believe her reaction was something along the lines of: "YOU LET SOME *CHICK* SIT ON YOUR CAR????" There was a certain amount of disbelief and jealousy involved.

So uh no that is not my wife. Her name is Nicole Rayburn and she is a model / actress. She has some affiliation with extreme speed track events so I've seen her at multiple track days. I was going to post a link to her website but it turns out its blocked at work LOL. I wonder if they track all the sites you attempt to access but are blocked...

well atleast you made it out alive lol................ she sure is a hottie

Wow Chad way to go, looking forward to see this done, maybe I'll be up and running before you haha!
      RSK68
      Rick Klein

That's funny Chad! I didn't look at any of the pictures except the one in your signature, and I couldn't really tell.

Chad have you decided on who will install the TCI rear?
      RSK68
      Rick Klein

Quote Originally Posted by rsk68 View Post
      Chad have you decided on who will install the TCI rear?
      Well Pomona Valley Customs gave me a reasonable quote but I'm really struggling with paying someone to do the whole upgrade. Its money I didn't originally plan to spend and while I pretty much hate working on cars these days I feel like not doing it myself will take something away from the experience.

Sooo I'm planning on picking the car up tomorrow and moving forward with doing the parts myself. If I get in trouble I will throw it on a trailer and pay someone to finish it if I have to.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com