Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Home Made Car Dolly

Hello all!

I have been busy removing the front end from my 68 Camaro to get a laundry list of issues taken care of. While planning my project I realized I'd like to be able to roll my car on and off the lift to still be able to use it since this is a long term project. I went looking for a off the shelf car dolly and found the ones available just were not up to what I am looking for.

I made a trip to Blue Collar Supply in Sacramento California. There I bought:

12' inner receiver tubing = $75

5' outer receiver tubing = $48

4 swivel casters w/ cast centers and rubber tires @ $12.00 each

After spending the bulk of my time slicing and dicing the outer out to 8" and 6" sections, created 2 "T's" and 2 "+'s". I drilled 5/8" holes and welded 9/16" nuts over the top.

For the wheel plates I had a bunch of 1/4" plate laying around I cut into 5" square sections. These were welded on top and bottom. I can flip the wheels to the other side or I have plans to use this pad as a connection to a rear unit in the future.

My end goal was to have something super strong that can be adjusted to hold up a very large car or one smaller than a Camaro. By using the "T" that slides in and out I can create simple risers depending on the shape needed to mount the car. I can also adjust the over center for the wheels, and move the wheels in and out for trailer ramps.

Let me know what you think!

Sorry for the crap Iphone pics.
      Tim Tracy
      68 Camaro 496 / T56 - Never Finished
      68 Camaro Real Z/28 - Under Restoration
      67 Camaro Project - Never going to have time

nice simple design and does the intended job...

I like it. The only change I might make would be flipping the "+" joints so you aren't relying on the welds, I'd hate to see someone get killed finding out how important weld prep is. Not to say your skills are not sufficient, but the guy who sees that and builds one might be different

I might just be building one of these, I have to find someone on this coast that sells receiver tubing.
      Tom

trailers are for boats and broke stuff.

Thanks Tom, great input. I see your point on flipping the "+". My welds will definitely hold but others may not.
      Tim Tracy
      68 Camaro 496 / T56 - Never Finished
      68 Camaro Real Z/28 - Under Restoration
      67 Camaro Project - Never going to have time

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com