Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

'79 Monte - The Search for Animal Chin

With a renewed focus and optimism, I've begun to dive back into my Monte Carlo. This time around, I'm actually having a good time with it. I've sold off the other distractions, the billet wheels and such. Now I feel like I'm moving in the direction of more of what I'd like the car to be. Clean, simple, functional, minimal, interesting and most of all, fun for me for work on and drive.

I'm not going to get into the back story too much. I had an 80 Monte all throughout high school. It was my first car. I sold it to go away to college. I finished up, years later bought a small house and decided I wanted my Monte back. I bought this in July of 2003. Since then it's seen a lot of changes that I don't care to relive, so we are forging ahead with the here and now.

Currently:
      GMPP 350/330hp crate engine
      750 edlebrock carb (too big)
      Hedman shorty ceramic headers
      2.5" x-pipe and magnaflow exhaust
      Bowtie Overdrives 200-4R Stage II Trans
      Alum radiator
      7.5 factor rear with Auburn pro posi
      3.73 gears

LS1 front brakes on a g-body spindle
      Monte SS fast ratio steering
      Suspension Techniques sway bars
      Bilstein shocks
      Front: Tubular lower control arms
      SC&C stage 2 kit
      OPGI 3" lowering springs
      Rear: UMI upper and lower tubular arms
      Hotchkis springs

Monte SS dash and gauges
      Cipher racing seats
      B/M megashifter (hate it)
      Alpine mp3/USB head unit
      Infinity speakers

Country Flag: United States
      Glad to see the fire ignited again. I've always thought these were a bit of an odd guy compared to the other same vintage G-bodies. Curvy lines ala pre 78 rather than cereal boxes like the others. With that they make very unique rides and look fantastic when done right. I like these better than the transition 81 cars. Looks very clean, mostly done and great as is, what are some of the changes in plans? Looking forward to seeing more...
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

That was a great movie! Good looking car by the way

You mentioned on another thread that the front spoiler was from a '69 Camaro. Got any good pics of how that looks? That is a REALLY SWEET RIDE!
      1979 Monte carlo
      383 Stroker
      700R4
      Ford 9in with disc brakes
      Complete Hotchkiss suspension system

I hate that body style monte I have 1
      But that 1 looks great

Quote Originally Posted by SRD art View Post
      Glad to see the fire ignited again. I've always thought these were a bit of an odd guy compared to the other same vintage G-bodies. Curvy lines ala pre 78 rather than cereal boxes like the others. With that they make very unique rides and look fantastic when done right. I like these better than the transition 81 cars. Looks very clean, mostly done and great as is, what are some of the changes in plans? Looking forward to seeing more...
      Yes, I like the lines and curves too. The bulges are 'muscular' looking compared to the 81-88's. Another reason I like the 3rd gen Montes is that they were very light right from the factory, 3200 lbs. So there's a lot of potential there with weight savings.

Quote Originally Posted by rmorman View Post
      You mentioned on another thread that the front spoiler was from a '69 Camaro. Got any good pics of how that looks? That is a REALLY SWEET RIDE!
      Thank you. Yours is nice too from what I remember. I'll have to take a recent pic of the spoiler. It's attached to the core support to forces air up nicely. I still think it could use a more aggressive front lower spoiler though.

I've always loved this car, can't wait to see what you come up with.

-matt

Thanks Matt.

I'm working on the rear end here. It needs a lot of help. Here's how it looks now (minus that oversized exhaust tip)

Here's my plan: Monte SS spoiler, remove the trunk emblem and bezel. And painting the tailight bezels charcoal to match the wheel centers and smoking the taillights. I still don't like the big reverse lights, but that's the best I can think of right now. The rear end just needs a lot of streamlining - hopefully this helps do the trick.

I like the updated look. What do you think about moving the extra trim from the bumper? I think it'd go a long way toward the clean look you want.

-matt

that looks a lot better with the charcoal trim man your car is sexy
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

Hmmm....I like this alot! Should look great when you get the rear finished!
      1969 Pontiac GTO
      -The Nameless project.

0331, USMC, Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by monteboy84 View Post
      I like the updated look. What do you think about moving the extra trim from the bumper? I think it'd go a long way toward the clean look you want.

-matt
      It really makes the top strip stand out if I do that..

I could paint them charcoal or the car color?

I think the body color on the bumper looks good. The charcoal not so much.

Man, that's a tough call. I almost like it best with the chrome still on everything there, I think it works well with the swoopy body lines and the paint color. Though if I had to choose, I think I'd go with the color-matched bumper and trim.

-matt

I think I'll just leave those strips as is for now and finish up the rear as planned then make a call from there. Those things are NLA now so there's no going back if they're painted.

Beautiful Monte! This bodystyle is overlooked, but your car may help change that.
      Joe Hinds

The brown truck dropped these off today.

Speedhut gauges, GPS speedo. Night mode the whole face lights up light blue with black text. These look great and I got a great deal on them thanks to their Independence Day sale!

Nice Gauges!
      1969 Pontiac GTO
      -The Nameless project.

0331, USMC, Semper Fi.

When you find Animal Chin let me know cause Lance Mountain,Tony Hawk with the Powell crew had no luck. Nice looking car you have there.

The body colored trim looks best, can you make a rendering with body color trim and charcoal rivets. just curious to how it would look.

Also, what about modifying the reverse light to another brake light...then adding a sequential turn signal/ brake kit.

Check out this thread For Reverse lights, a trunk width led strip like Neildid. Tony gave some insight too.

I think the all red/smoked lenses, coupled with the spoiler, shaved badges/lock, body color molding, and charcoal taillight bezel would look amazing.

Last edited by Ash; 07-21-2011 at 08:52 PM. Reason: spelling :/
      You can't be slick to a can of oil

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com