Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

NEW - GMR - Pro Touring Rear Floater Hubs

Introducing the New GMR PT-R Full Floating Hubs.

These new hubs bring you race proven strength and intense style to create a perfect setup for your pro-touring application. The GMR PT-R hubs were designed from the ground up specifically for the pro-touring market where high horsepower and style are at a premium.

Every time you take a corner at speed does something not feel right? Your brakes get mushy and sometimes you need to pump the pedal to even get some fluid moving. You have invested in your car for performance but you can’t seem to get 100% out of your vehicle on a consistent basis. The rear end you have is simply not holding up to the task, flanged axles and semi-floaters CAN NOT get the job done.

You KNOW that something is available but you’re just not sure. The issue of Piston Knock Back is getting worse; your rear end is wearing out causing more damage and harm, what happens when it fails? Do you accept that you could loose the entire wheel at speed? Do you care about your brakes performing their best at speed? These are serious questions you need to ask yourself next time you take your baby for a drive.

MOST WILL SETTLE… The GMR Pro-Touring Hubs do NOT settle.

I’m going to INVITE you to do something different about your outdated and tired rear end. I have a solution to your piston knock back issues. I’ve researched, tested, used, and proven a new system that will provide superior strength and quality without question.

The solution is the new GMR Pro-Touring designed Full Floater hub setup. This setup can be installed on just about any rear end or we can build you a complete GMR Signature Series rear end featuring a GMR9 housing to complement your GMR hubs. These revolutionary new hubs are designed exclusively for the pro-touring industry with patent pending technology. This is not a modified circle track setup, or some other random concoction to combat piston knock back, these hubs are designed from the ground up for your pro-touring car.

These new Full Floater setups are in limited supply, due to the intense manufacturing process and stringent quality requirements only small precise runs are made. In fact each Rear Hub run is so precise that every hub body is laser etched with a GMR date and unit number. Not only is this number exclusive to your investment it also allows us to better service you should you have any questions or concerns in the future. In the final stages of production units that don’t meet the requirements are rejected, to ensure you get top quality every time, NO EXCEPTIONS!

The above example is from a manufacturing run in June of 2011 with the last number dictating that this is hub body number eight.

Benefits of GMR Full Floater hubs:

• Wide Timken Bearing spread designed for Pro-Touring Applications
      • Dual Wheel Bolt patterns 5 x 4.5 and 5 x 4.75
      • True 35 spline treated steel drive plates
      • Compatible with all Big Brake Kits and Manufactures
      • Stronger then the competition and traditional semi-floater setups
      • Solves Piston Knock Back Issues
      • Lighter then traditional flanged axles
      • Corrosion resistant
      • GMR issued individual hub numbers
      • Not a Mass Manufactured component
      • Comprised of Aerospace Grade Materials
      • Utilizes high grade corrosion resistant fasteners
      • Allows you to accommodate more horse power
      • 100% American Made

I personally guarantee 100% satisfaction with your new GMR Hubs.

Mention Pro-touring.com and...
      I feel so strongly about this product that I’m willing to give you a free gift valued at $235. This FREE gift is made from professional grade tool steel that will ease the installation and preparation of your new rear hubs. You don’t even have to pay shipping or any bogus handling fees on your FREE gift, in other words it’s actually FREE!

When you order be sure to mention Pro-Touring.com to receive Free shipping and handling.

$1887 per set with your Free GMR socket Tool and Shipping!

To order please contact our offices at [email protected] or call us at (714)-596-8800

Sincerely,

Jason Heard,

CEO

P.S. Here is what Jay Miller, owner of JSM flooring had to say about the new GMR Full Floater setup:

“Frankly I had been searching for something different and unique for my new project car. I have talked with just about every rear end manufacture on the planet and even visited a few. Nothing was dedicated for the pro-touring market, and it seemed like all the products offered either only helped the problem or were patched together from a few different setups. I wanted something dedicated for my issue and that would last the life of the car. Then one random day while searching online I stumbled across the GMR and what they were offering. I was very intrigued, so much so that I drove out to meet with Jason and was sold from day one. Not only did I order the new hubs on the spot I scheduled for my car to come into the shop for a full GMR9 build, DSE suspension install, GMR custom fabricated STAINLESS roll cage, and GMR built stainless oval exhaust. Well, the car was recently finished and I was very pleased with the service and quality of the parts / work. The hubs are what sold me on GMR, simply nothing like it.”
      Last edited by The GMR; 08-09-2011 at 01:08 PM.

Country Flag: United States
      I got my kit(s) last week and I have to comment, that they look even better in person than in the pictures!
      Being an engineer working with a machine shop I know the cost to buy these types of materials and machine parts of this quality, and I couldn't match this cost with materials/design/quality put into these parts.

Jason has invested A LOT of time and money into these and they turned out AMAZING.
      Oh, and the front C5/C6 kit is equally as impressive!

I forgot to mention, that Jason's promises about 100% Customer Satisfaction is not just a sales ploy, he genuinely does everything he can to make sure the customer is happy with their purchase.
      "Step Brothers"
      Pro Toured 95 Pontiac Trans Am (Green Dragon)
      Full Frame Build 69 Camaro (Night Hawk)
      -Luca Z

Jason, does the kit include the snouts? Also, how many inches are required from the hub face for space? IE: how far required for space to mount suspension and shock brackets?

Quote Originally Posted by GrnDragon View Post
      I got my kit(s) last week and I have to comment, that they look even better in person than in the pictures!
      Being an engineer working with a machine shop I know the cost to buy these types of materials and machine parts of this quality, and I couldn't match this cost with materials/design/quality put into these parts.

Jason has invested A LOT of time and money into these and they turned out AMAZING.
      Oh, and the front C5/C6 kit is equally as impressive!

I forgot to mention, that Jason's promises about 100% Customer Satisfaction is not just a sales ploy, he genuinely does everything he can to make sure the customer is happy with their purchase.
      thanks man, I have something in the works for your rear end too! we will talk monday!

jason

Quote Originally Posted by MoparCar View Post
      Jason, does the kit include the snouts? Also, how many inches are required from the hub face for space? IE: how far required for space to mount suspension and shock brackets?
      Yes, the kits includes custom machined Chromoly treated snouts. We have a very defined and specialized treating and machine process that ensures perfect bearing fitment and location along with superior strength.

We utilize right and left hand snouts so that the rotation of the wheel matched the rotation of the spindle nut for keeping it tight.

From Wheel Mount Surface to where the housing tube needs to be cut is exactly 5 inches.

jason

GMR Rear Hub Snouts - Explained!

I have received a few questions via phone, email, and PM about the snouts. I decided to clear everything up for you guys. Please let me know if there are any questions that you have which are not answered in the section below.

One often overloked and underestimated element to the Full Floater rear hub setup are the snouts. These are a critical element that literaly supports the weight of the vehicle. Here at the GMR we provide the highest quality floater hubs on the market, period!

This is how and why…

The Process-

We start with very high grade chromoly steel that is made in America. Just in case its not fully clear; EVERYTHING we manufacture is made in America, and I mean EVERYTHING right down to the raw material. Once the material arrives, the process starts. IT is then machined to a very detailed size that caters to the specific heat treat process they endure. This size and treating process is classified. Once the snouts come back from treating they are then final machined to ensure the tightest and smoothest bearing fitment on the market. We have tested quite a few different processes over the years, this is the only way we see fit to ensure quality every time you open the box.

The Bearing Spread -

This is one element that is often overlooked and never mentioned. This is a critical measurement you need to pay attention to, it is directly related to the lateral force the entire assembly can take. The GMR Hubs boast a massive 1.5 inches of TRUE bearing spread. “True” bearing spread is what I (Jason Heard) consider the interior measurement between the bearings. NOT the measuerment on the outside edge of the bearings with a little “buffer” added to seem larger…. Keep that number in mind, True 1.5 inches!

The other often over looked element is the use of a precision machined crush sleeve. As you can see in the picture above there is a dark section of material between the bearings. This is a precision machined Chromoly sleeve that holds the bearing separation perfectly in line with the outer bearing races in the hub. This achieves three major things.

One – This sleeve locates the bearings in the optimal position for extended life, no more over tight bearings that fail prematurely.

Two – Allows for you to torque the snout nut to 100 ft-lb of torque, you will never crush the sleeve or the inner bearing race. They are simply too strong…

Three – Provides the ultimate in bearing strength, creates a solid structure on the snout that will provide more lateral strength because it locks the bearings perfectly in place.

Details…

I promised professional…

…and I will deliver professional!

Everything we do at the GMR is about the little details, We have full days of brainstorm sessions that involve nothing but the added details, items such as the laser etched manufacturing date / number to the machined snouts…

We know that dealing with items that look similar with borderline identical threads can be a real pain, especially when they are Left and Right hand… The GMR has solved your confusion once and for all! Each and every GMR snout is machined to indicate the thread direction of the snout. Can you see it?

That was still not enough for me… I wanted something more!

Every GMR product that leaves the building is shipped with color coded tape. All Right hand threads receive Black tape, all left hand threads receive Grey tape. The tape protects the threads and gives you a heads up on what is underneath.

Welding…

This was a challenge, we had to come up with a material that is both welder friendly and superior in strength for ultimate bearing life. I cant tell you what material were using or the treating process but I can assure you that there is nothing on the market like it!

Even though we have a detailed treating process and material the welding is very simplistic. Here at the GMR we like to use a very specific welding procedure when we weld in the snouts.

It starts with the proper preparation of the housing tubes, the GMR snouts provide 1.5″ inches of material that index into the housing tube. That means that 1.5 inches of the snout is actually inside the axle tube. This allows for the use of “plug” welds to provide superior strength. We always drill 4 plug welds clocked at 90 degrees each. Once the holes are drilled, we then clean the material to ensure proper weld penetration. With a professionally designed and machined fixture we weld in the snouts so they are centered to the gear set.

At the GMR we weld the snouts in using a very specific method that utilizes a GMR Classified welding wire / rod and gas combination. The reason for this is that even with realistic estimated human error we can assume a weld surface tensile strength of 100,000. Weather it is MIG or TIG welded we have specific procedures to ensure top quality each and every time for your GMR9 housing.

Do not be alarmed if you are going to have a professional rear end builder weld in your GMR snouts, they can weld the snouts with ER70S-6 wire / rod and the results will work out great. The only down side is that you cant expect to see the strength we achieve.

All this thought and process goes into every snout, imagine the hole hub assembly… or even a complete GMR9 rear end assembly! We can provide you with complete rear ends, assembled and ready to bolt right in. Please keep that in mind when your in the market for a new rear end!
      Last edited by The GMR; 08-09-2011 at 02:10 PM.

Drive Plates and Wheel Studs

Drive Plates and Wheel Studs

The main components to the drive system of a full floater are the drive plate and wheel studs. These components are directly responsible for getting the power to the ground in your pro-touring application. Unlike stock flanged axles the drive plate and axle are two separate components. The axles are splined on each end and index into the center of the drive plate. The drive plate then slides over the wheel studs and indexes on the hub body, this is what provides the power to the wheels. The key elements to this system are the drive plate spline, material, sealing capability, and the wheel studs.

True 35 spline –

The GMR drive plate is a true 35 spline, something that is not seen with the competition. The common and inexpensive route for hub manufactures is to use a circle track 24 spline pattern for the drive plate. Even though it is not a 35 spline, they still call their setup a 35 spline because the interior splines are 35. We did not settle, we decided to use a true 35 spline drive plate that was designed from the ground up for this GMR hub assembly. This provides more strength and the ability to run true 35 spline axle with 35 spline on each end.

These pictures show the GMR drive plate with a GMR 300M full floater axle. There is plenty of spline engagement to provide optimal strength that will take abuse for years to come.

Material -

Just like all other GMR products, GMR drive plates are 100% American made right down to the base material. The Drive plates are machined from treated high grade chromoly steel then coated to provide you a great corrosion resistant finish. These drive plates are designed to be light and strong, the perfect combination of reduced rotating mass and durability.

Sealing Capability -

The worst thing that can happen to your rear end are leaks. The GMR has taken this very seriously with the use of custom O-rings and machined components to match. Between each component of the hub that bolts together is the chance for rear end fluid to leak out of, something we simply cant allow here at GMR. The Drive plate sits on top of the hub body when in place, this connection is critical, that where most leaking from full floaters occur. As you can clearly see below we have a custom machined groove that perfectly matches the custom O-ring diameter, width, and depth to properly seal the hub body to drive plate.

The second most likely spot for a floater hub to leak is the drive plate cap. The GMR drive plate cap has also been armed with a custom machined groove and O-ring that fits firmly against the drive plate. The key here is precision, each and every part of the assembly must fit perfectly together every time, these O-rings make that happen time and time again.

Wheel Studs and Fasteners –

The final component in the drive system of the full floater are the wheel studs. All GMR wheel studs are precision machined from 17-4 Stainless Steel. This treated high strength stainless provides the prefect amount of corrosion resistance and strength for your Pro-Touring application. The GMR did not use some off the shelf component, instead we custom designed a wheel stud that we manufacture just for this specific hub body. This attention to detail is not found in the industry, nor is the use of very high quality wheel studs that are corrosion resistant.

Not only are the wheel Studs Stainless but so are all the drive plate / cap fasteners. We could have stopped with the wheel studs and some would agree thats ok, but the GMR does not settle. Quality has to be through and through, stainless wheel studs must be complemented by high grade stainless fasteners for the drive plate and cap. Take note that one of the most important features of the GMR wheel studs is the use of a precision machined shank. This shank of the GMR wheel stud is specifically designed to cater to the drive plate and index accordingly to provide the ultimate in force transfer through the drive-train. Do not settle for cheap black oxide bolts… the GMR wont so why should you?

With elements like the items mentioned above its clear why GMR is treading new ground in the Pro-Touring industry. Remember…

If your not going to be cheap with your car then don’t let your hub manufacture either!
      Last edited by The GMR; 08-09-2011 at 03:52 PM.

What do you offer for caliper mounts?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

This setup can run any caliper you want.

do you have a specific caliper in mind?

thanks
      jason

I just need a pair of weld on caliper mounts that can accept Corvette Z06 rear calipers or via an adaptor to Baer or Wilwood.
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Very impressive stuff. Any pictures of a fully assembled setup with brakes? You say they work with all big brake kits, but it would be nice to see one fully set up
      Traven

Lighter then traditional flanged (Semi-Floater) axles…

Do you think that Full Floaters are strong heavy setups? Are they too bulky in your opinion? Do you assume that when you switch to a full floater that you will have a Heavy setup?

Well these are all questions that the GMR addressed when designing the PT-R Floater hubs.

Lighter – Stronger – Faster…

The Three words that The GMR PT-R hubs and GMR9 rear ends live by! When compared to traditional 35 spline semi-floater setups something magical happens… The GMR PT-R hubs actually REDUCE the amount of rotational mass and weight in your rear end. Dont believe me? Well, here is the proof!

Traditional 35 spline flanged axle with Set20 bearings, billet Big Bearing Ford Ends, and a Wilwood rotor adapter / hat.

26.5 Pounds

Now, compare that to the GMR setup with everything including 2 bearings, 300M axles, drive plates, studs, and billet machined snouts.

22.1 Pounds

That is a difference of 4.4 pounds in favor of the GMR PT-R hubs. As we kept testing the theory with different axle lenghts we came to a realistic number of 3.7 pounds difference again favoring the GMR PT-R hubs.

When it comes to performance GMR is your option, the GMR does not settle, so neither should you!
      Last edited by The GMR; 08-10-2011 at 05:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by T_Raven View Post
      Very impressive stuff. Any pictures of a fully assembled setup with brakes? You say they work with all big brake kits, but it would be nice to see one fully set up
      working on it right now.

We have a strict policy to not release anything until were ready to rock!
      The final sets of tooling are getting finished for the new GMR9 housings.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      I just need a pair of weld on caliper mounts that can accept Corvette Z06 rear calipers or via an adaptor to Baer or Wilwood.
      I can make it happen, please shoot me an email with all the exact parts you have. Or even a simple sketch of what you need.

[email protected]

thanks
      Jason

Quote Originally Posted by The GMR View Post
      Lighter then traditional flanged (Semi-Floater) axles…

Do you think that Full Floaters are strong heavy setups? Are they too bulky in your opinion? Do you assume that when you switch to a full floater that you will have a Heavy setup?

Well these are all questions that the GMR addressed when designing the PT-R Floater hubs.

Lighter – Stronger – Faster…

The Three words that The GMR PT-R hubs and GMR9 rear ends live by! When compared to traditional 35 spline semi-floater setups something magical happens… The GMR PT-R hubs actually REDUCE the amount of rotational mass and weight in your rear end. Dont believe me? Well, here is the proof!

Traditional 35 spline flanged axle with Set20 bearings, billet Big Bearing Ford Ends, and a Wilwood rotor adapter / hat.

26.5 Pounds

Now, compare that to the GMR setup with everything including 2 bearings, 300M axles, drive plates, studs, and billet machined snouts.

21.1 Pounds

That is a difference of 4.4 pounds in favor of the GMR PT-R hubs. As we kept testing the theory with different axle lenghts we came to a realistic number of 3.7 pounds difference again favoring the GMR PT-R hubs.

When it comes to performance GMR is your option, the GMR does not settle, so neither should you!
      That is awesome Jason!

GMR PT-R Rotor Adapters

GMR PT-R Rotor Adapters

One Often Overlooked component to the Full Floater System is the rotor adapter. The GMR spared no expense when bringing the GMR PT-R Rotor Adapter to market. This single component underwent several different variations and prototypes until we found our final design. There is more then what meets the eye, please take a few minutes to read through the reasons why the GMR PT-R Rotor Adapters are in a league of their own!

Material –

The GMR PT-R rotor adapters are precision machined from solid billet aluminum right here in the USA. We start with high grade aluminum that is provided through US suppliers so that we can honestly state that our product is 100% American Made.

Strength –

When it comes to the strength department the GMR does not skimp! The PT-R Rotor Adapters share the same material, design, and style as the high end Off-Road race industry. Tested in the harshest conditions with forces and elements that a Pro-Touring car will never see. This mentality for overkill has evolved into the new PT-R Rotor Adapters. After the strict machine process each rotor adapter is then hard anodized to increase strength and longevity of the component.

Weight –

Even with all the strength built into the PT-R Rotor Adapters the GMR was still able to provide a weight savings over the competition. Weighing in at a staggering 1.5 pounds the PT-R Rotor Adapters pack a serious punch.

Serial Numbering -

Just like the GMR Hub bodies each and every rotor adapter is laser etched with the GMR logo and part number. What makes GMR different from the competition is that we also Serial number each and every rotor adapter. Not only is this number exclusive to your investment it also allows us to better service you should you have any questions or concerns in the future. In the final stages of production units that don’t meet the requirements are rejected, to ensure you get top quality every time, NO EXCEPTIONS!

The above rotor adapter is from a manufacturing run in the month of June 2011 and was rotor adapter number 77.

Precision Fitment –

The fitment of a rotor adapter is critical, keeping the rotor adapter centered on the hub and assembly as a whole is the key to reducing rotor run out. The PT-R Rotor Adapter is a hub-centric press fit setup that ensures a reduction of rotor run out. This is the correct way a rotor adapter should be installed onto a hub assembly, do not simply rely on the bolts to hold the adapter straight to the hub body.

We precision machine a slight press fit for the PT-R Rotor Adapter to the GMR hub body.

Once the rotor adapter is pressed onto the hub we then utilize high grade flat head cap screws to secure the PT-R Rotor Adapter to the GMR hub body.

Even with simple components you can see how The GMR provides top shelf quality right down to every little detail.

Country Flag: Australia
      Man, I'm a sucker for nicely made parts.....I've worked in the aviation industry since the 70's and you get used to high quality parts like this....nice to see them available for our cars.
      Great piece of engineering, guys.
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

Being a QC manager here where I work, I like seeing the tracibility that you guys are using to track your parts back to a production run or batch of parts....good job.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

I do agree serializing all the parts is a very professional touch to the components.
      You guys should see these parts in real life! They look even better than the pictures, they are some top quality machining and design. And the fitment is extremely precise, Jason even got exact slip fits with the coatings (anodize and I'm guessing passivation on the front spindle). I just put a little lithium grease on the parts and the bearings slide right on with absolutely NO slop.
      "Step Brothers"
      Pro Toured 95 Pontiac Trans Am (Green Dragon)
      Full Frame Build 69 Camaro (Night Hawk)
      -Luca Z

Thank you for all the comments. I really strive to over-deliver with every aspect of our business.

Jason

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com