Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Anyone here into running/triathlon?

Anyone here into running/triathlon?

I'm an avid recreational runner - registered for the DRC Half Marathon in November in Dallas, TX - and I would like to move on to Triathlons.

Now I need some advice regarding Tri Bikes...

Jorge

www.estrada-armory.com

I've never ran a triathlon but I have always said that I will someday. I used to be a competitive runner and mountainbiker though and could possibly help

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv View Post
      I've never ran a triathlon but I have always said that I will someday.
      I said the same. It doesn't have to be an Ironman...

I also used to ride my MTB... had a GT Timberline back in the day. Changed a lot on it...

Since my MC accident in 2000 I had an up and down with my weight. But since a couple month I'm doing serious workout and it looks good for the moment. The weight is constant going down...

My question is about the Tri bike. They are pretty expensive. Road race bikes you can find way less expensive.
      But are they allowed for a Triathlon?

And do I need a "special bike" for 240lbs (height is 6ft.)?
      Also important to me, can I find a good bike under $1000.00?

I really like the Felt F95 TEAM, 2010.

Sunrisetri.com sells it for $799.99 right now.

Is this bike allowed for tri's? And does it okay with handling my weight?
      Jorge

www.estrada-armory.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jochen View Post
      I said the same. It doesn't have to be an Ironman...

I also used to ride my MTB... had a GT Timberline back in the day. Changed a lot on it...

Since my MC accident in 2000 I had an up and down with my weight. But since a couple month I'm doing serious workout and it looks good for the moment. The weight is constant going down...

My question is about the Tri bike. They are pretty expensive. Road race bikes you can find way less expensive.
      But are they allowed for a Triathlon?

And do I need a "special bike" for 240lbs (height is 6ft.)?
      Also important to me, can I find a good bike under $1000.00?

I really like the Felt F95 TEAM, 2010.

Sunrisetri.com sells it for $799.99 right now.

Is this bike allowed for tri's? And does it okay with handling my weight?
      I know the tri's in my area don't have restrictions on bikes. People rind mountain bikes, road bikes, even BMX bikes. I guess the ruels could change depending on the race though.

My first non-department store bike was a 93 or 94 GT Ricochet that I still have today. I raced it a few years ago but picked up a Specialized Rochhooper 29er Expert which is a lot different.

Check the rules and if they will allow you too (I can't see why they wouldn't) I would pick up a used road race bike and see how you like it. They haven't changed as much as mountain bikes so used bikes are good options.

A lot of the light weight high end parts do have weight limits (at least on mountain bikes) so you would want to check with a good LBS (bike shop) on that.

If you want to be competitive you should stick to at least a road bike. For under $1,000 I would search on craigslist around a major city near the coast. Here in San Diego there are triathalon darn near every weekend and the "bike" section on the San Diego C-list is enormous. You could find $1000 bikes on there for 1/2 the price of new, just get it tuned up when you buy it.

BTW, I'm a huge fan of GT. I am diggin' their new urban commuters. My first GT was a GT Dyno with neon orange splatter paint scheme back in 1992(?). BMX/FTW
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

I have been contemplating triathalons recently. Never done much real biking. A 100 mile ride down the coast to San Diego, at a leisurely pace is the most I have done. I was a competetive swimmer from age 8, LA Caounty Jr Lifeguard, etc and have always been an athlete, so running is something I have always done. But @ 6'9" 250 lbs (and that is a lean weight), I am considered a Clydsdale in running circles. It isn't great on my joints to try and train for a 26 miler, so Ironmans are out. There are smaller tris that do 1 mile swim, 25 mile ride and 10 mile run (or similar distances) that I could probably do with a minimum of increase to my training regimen. I have 3 competitive marathon runners in my circle and one guy who loves him some mud runs! Those are a lot of fun as well.
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Thanks for the advice fellas. It's great to share things in common (besides cars)...

I will check craigslist, but I'm concerned about my weight.

Nick, what type of bike do you use? Any "special" tires on it or isn't there any problem with 250lbs.?
      Jorge

www.estrada-armory.com

Jochen, I've run a bunch of marathons and am an avid cyclist. Currently ride a Cervelo RS, all DA. Like a couple of you, I'm a clydesdale myself and can't do marathons any more. At about 210 it's just too hard on me and especially around here, hills are the norm. I would echo what others have said. There are a lot more changes than people realize in road bikes. Frame materials, geometry, stiffness with a decent ride - then the gruppos have improved dramatically. A typical tri bike has completely different geometry than a touring or even racing road frame, but if it's just recreational you'd be OK. You need to be careful about some components. Radial spoked lightweight wheels aren't good for guys our size. Even some of the carbon fiber crank arms can present issues.

I'd look for a 2-4 yr old nice used bike but get to know a good shop that handles tri bikes so you know what to stay away from particularly considering your size. Also, getting fitted correctly is HUGE!!!!! It can prevent knee and hip injuries and dramatically improve your own performance especially in both sprints and longer distances.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

Jochen,
      My wife, my boys, and I all started doing sprint triathlons last year. The distances vary quite a bit, but are usually in the range of a 300-600 yard swim, 9-16 mile bike, and 2-4 mile run. Regarding the bike, drafting is not permitted, so maintaining an aerodynamic position is a real advantage. Consequently, make sure you get aero-bars, even if you end up with a road bike, though a tri-bike is preferrable. Clip-on aero bars work well, especially if you're not sure if you'll stick with the new hobby. Also, because I tend to ride on the front of the seat in the aero position, I initially experienced a significant and uncomfortable numbness in my groin area after a few miles. If you do too, then you might want to check out the seats where the front tip bends down or bifurcates- at least for me it relieved the numbness - a real plus. I'm a clydesdale too, and the advice i received was not to worry about the frame, but do pay attention to the wheels, as we put a lot of stress on them. My wife and I both ride the Cervelo P3C, and we bought them used off of eBay and Craigslist, but they do run above your target price. Used road bikes are often available at a lower price, which I assume is because they are more plentiful. Consider a carbon fiber frame - might be a little more expensive, but they seem to give a smoother and more comfortable ride. If you haven't ridden before, get used to the idea of tight fitting spandex (not my best look), a flapping shirt/pants adds a significant amount of wind resistance, and the goofy helmets are supposed to reduce wind resistance more than any other aero-component. Finally, watch some of the videos on youtube.com about how to do transitions - a fast transition is "free" time - you don't have to swim, bike or run faster, but you can lower your overall time significantly. Good Luck!
      Terry
      1969 Camaro - LSA motor, 6L90 transmission, TCI front subframe, TCI torque arm rear suspension, Ford 9" rearend

A good friend of mine, Greg, consistently places in the top 5 to 10 at high level sprint, olympic, and 1/2 iron man distances. He knows his stuff and practices what he preaches. He also works at www.onetri.com . If nothing else, he can give you good advice on what a good starting point is for you.

All I know is, he did well enough on a road bike, but once he got serious he said there is no substitute for a tri bike. They are heavier bikes than comparably priced road bikes, but much stiffer, and the posture and leg positioning is much more efficient for high speed riding.

Call them up and tell him Steven sent you!
      Steven

1968 Camaro: Project "TRACKDAY"

Latest Track Weekend Video

Build in Progress

Seems like a lot of us on here that are into running and swimming are bigger guys. I'm 6'2" and 210-15 lbs. It's so much harder now than when I was 6'2" and 175!

I just happened to mention the San Diego Craigslist but if you find a bike out here I can take a look at it for you, just as if it were a classic car purchase. I'm sure that any members who chimed in here would be happy to take a look if you found one on their city's C-list.
      Good luck.

BTW, I was just in Heidleberg, Germany a few months ago and there were a lot of MTB'ing going on there. I was just there for a few days but I bet it would be awesome to burn through the hills there. Beautiful country you've got there.
      Johnny C.
      -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      70 'cuda, Pro-Charged 408 stroker, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S-60, Alter-k-tion, Tri 4, Hydroboost and Wilwoods

ujimk,l

I've been mimicking the Pose method of running. I friend who works at a local Crossfit gym is putting on a Pose clinic this Saturday so I'll actually see if I'm picking up what I'm reading and executing it properly. I run in the Saucony Kinvara which is a minimalist but I used to run with the super cushiony Nike Vomero's (if you're not aware, Vomero's feel like you're slogging through marshmellow they're that cushioned).
      I've noticed less shin pain with less cushion. Go figure!
      Johnny C.

I finally got a new pair of running shoes and ended my 5 month run-less drought. Since high school, I just do one half marathon a year to keep myself honest.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

Quote Originally Posted by go-fish View Post
      It's so much harder now than when I was 6'2" and 175!
      Truer words have never been said! Though I'd add it's so much harder now than when I was 30 or 35!

Quote Originally Posted by 73z-6sp View Post
      I tend to agree that we should be able to run without injury which so many people get. Best of luck!
      For me, cross-training is the key! I remember my first marathon. No pain, no gain. Running 6 days a week, and lots of long runs. Average runs were 6-9 miles per day with at least 2-3 12-20 milers a week. I really broke myself down. Finished the first marathon but it hurt - bad. I got smarter and alternated running, lifting, cycling, and swimming. I took at least 2 days a week for either no hard workouts or at least one day off minimum per week. I was stronger, faster, and more healthy. It's hard to change us old Army guys who grew up believing the more abusive the better. I know better now. I'm just old and fat I think the Cervelo screams when it sees me coming.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

Quote Originally Posted by 73z-6sp View Post
      He all but claims it will make running safe for anyone. Young or old. I tend to agree that we should be able to run without injury which so many people get.
      I think most of the people who get inuries from running are doing something wrong. Running is pretty natural or at least it should be but if you are not used to it you can have problems. I've been wanting to try a pair of those vibrium 5-finger shoes for a while now but haven't got up the never to buy a pair yet.

I've been active pretty much my whole life and got pretty competitive at several sports after high school. I have to say that when I was racing my mountain bike I was probably in the best shape of my life. I'm sure that training for a triathalon would be even better.

OP go to a good bike shop and check out some of there bikes then shop for a used version of what you like

Country Flag: Australia
      Hi Jochen, I have done 3 Ironmans, I started at age 43, You can use any bike you like, Tri bikes are set up differently, and make running after the bike a little easier.

Greg
      Used to be known as tonner

Thanks for all the good advice Guys.

I guess there is no way around to visit a shop and test the bikes.
      Well, I will do so when we are in Ft. Sill, OK. I'm sure there are some good bike shops around... at least in OKC.

My old 1SG told me one day "Well, God gave me feet. No fins, no wings. So apparently he wants that we run... not fly or swim."

He was right. Running is a natural thing. But you can do it wrong. It's not just about the feet. It's the whole body who has to work properly...

I use ASICS Gel Nimbus 12. It's a great shoe for "big" guys with underpronation.
      And it's on sale at Road Runner Sports right now...

Quote Originally Posted by tonner View Post
      Hi Jochen, I have done 3 Ironmans, I started at age 43, You can use any bike you like, Tri bikes are set up differently, and make running after the bike a little easier.

Greg
      Respect Greg!!!

I thought I'm old with 31... feel like I wasted too much time to finally start doing serious running.
      Jorge

www.estrada-armory.com

Quote Originally Posted by 01amberfirewv View Post
      I think most of the people who get inuries from running are doing something wrong.
      There is some truth in that statement. But, don't forget - everyone has different physiology. Depending on your build, running can be FAR from a "natural" sport. And physics are physics. If you're in the over 200lbs crowd, these funny things called gravity and force are NOT your friends. Doesn't mean you're fat, either. Ask yourself when is the last time you saw a 215lb guy finish a marathon in 1st place.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
      There is some truth in that statement. But, don't forget - everyone has different physiology. Depending on your build, running can be FAR from a "natural" sport. And physics are physics. If you're in the over 200lbs crowd, these funny things called gravity and force are NOT your friends. Doesn't mean you're fat, either. Ask yourself when is the last time you saw a 215lb guy finish a marathon in 1st place.
      True. Let's be realistic. In car terms, at my size I am a Caprice/Impala. I can be made to go fast and be better handling, but I'll never beat a spec Miata, RX7/8 or similar smaller/lighter car. Crash us together, and I'll win. But I have to be close for that to happen, and it isn't likely over the course of a few laps.

Likewise, larger framed gu8ys will not be as capable of lasting at speed. Not only is it the pounding joints, bones, ligaments, etc will take as part of the process, but there are extra cardiovascular requirements per step over someojne smaller. The load is much higher the bigger you are. I can say that running is easier at a 250 weight vs my 265 weight. Even though my body fat is the same between the 2 weights, running is easier just due to decreased weight. As much as I like being bigger, I actually feel better at this lower weight.

Ever see the build on the guys who place in Ironman?
      Nick R.
      69 Camaro - 383, 700R4, 12 bolt 3.55, Hotchkis, Bilstein, Global West, Morris Classic
      08 HHR SS - Still Stock for now
      Do you still believe in all the things that you stood by before? Are you out there on the front lines, or at home keeping score?
      Do you care to be the layer of the bricks that seal your fate? Would you rather be the architect of what we might create?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com