Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Spectre 341 Recap *Pics Added*

I'll link photos and video as soon as it gets released.

Spectre 341 Challenge
      A Race Event Like No Other
      As an automotive enthusiast, I’ve participated in a slew of events. Poker runs, Good Guys Speed Peanut, SCCA Autocross, Track Days, Driving Schools, and Sunday morning spirited drives through back roads in the foot hills. This event is like the latter, but on steroids. Nothing I can type or describe can tell you the feeling of exiting an apex on the throttle, tire on the outside white line, with only six inches of gravel separating you from a 400 foot drop into oblivion. Or diving into a corner for a late apex, where your standard runoff is composed of 20 feet of Kitty Litter or a wall of cones, is, you guessed it, a sheer drop off. You know where your car SHOULD be, but do you have the stones to put it there? THAT is the core of this event. Driving fast is something that is not new to us. We track day, we autocross, we drag race. When we biff, we wear a funny hat and wait for the next guy to claim the title. The 341 is not so forgiving. You wipe out here, you’ll be lucky to total your car into the side of the mountain and live to tell about it. More often than not, your legacy will be a set of skid marks and a plastic wreath to remind other drivers to err on the side of caution.
      That said, Let’s tell the tale.
      Weeks of preparation work went into the Road Runner prior to this event. Usually, it’s a check for leaks, kick the tires, and let’s go mentality. If it starts, it must be good right? As a guy who daily drives his car no less than 80 miles a day commute, I know my stuff works. But with the daunting task I was about to put the car through, everything had to be better than “kinda right”, but had to be REALLY right. Wheel bearings were replaced, all fluids were fresh, rotors turned, new pads, new tires, the works. Countless hours spent in prepping the car, not to mention the pile of spare parts I knew would break. This is not my first Rodeo, but with 540 miles of drive on each end of the event, I knew this was going to be the epitome of Hot Rodding. When my alarm beeped at 4am, I was more than ready. I threw the last of the bags in the car, fired up the single speaker Craftsman radio, and hit the streets.
      The car hummed along steadily as I knew it would, and made great time to Kramer Junction, 150 miles from my origin. There’s a crappy little diner there by the 76 station that serves good food by ill-tempered waitresses. After bother driver and car were full, we rolled onto the 395 North for the worst part of the drive, the high desert toward Bishop. The car performed flawlessly, never getting temps above 180. For anyone who has done this drive it is long. And strait. And barren. I wish I had more to say about it.

After arriving in Bishop, it is always a blast rolling into smaller towns with the Road Runner. People gawk, point, hoot, yell, trip or just give a good Hot Rod “thumbs up”. Driving through this part of California will make you fell like no other. Snow capped mountains, tall trees, calm, crystal clear lakes, and nice wide bends in the road with great hills. And some technical stuff as you get closer to the border. Just awesome driving. I stopped for lunch at a favorite of mine, Walker Burger in Walker, CA, just a few miles shy of the boarder. This town is awesome. No cell phone reception, one road in and out, no traffic lights, not even a stop sign. But the Walker Burger is something else. The kitchen is a outside shack, where everything is made AFTER you order it. Yeah, you have to wait 10 minutes for your food, but it is fresh, hot and delicious. The eating arrangement at Walker Burger is all outdoors, at picnic benches on a lawn, and the whole place is set up like grandmas backyard. I finished the rest of the drive up to Carson City in short time and arrived at the base of SR 341 shortly after.

I wanted to drive this course as soon as possible to start learning it. I had watched videos for Amir’s record run and last years winner countless times, but seeing is believing. And there is no greater feedback that your eyes and your ass. So I started the ascent. Being the middle of the day, and with traffic, this was a recon run. An earlier warning was issued that if we were caught speeding or breaking any infractions while in town, we would be ejected from the competition. So I took the corners as any other car, staying in my lane and rolling through the turns. The anticipation was building. I did 2 more dry runs, just to get my bearings, but I found all it did was make me more nervous, so I found my hotel and called it a day a little bummed. I had all these tools and spare parts in my trunck, and I didn’t get to use any of them. Oh well, give it time.
      The next day was full of mundane tasks that soon became serious issues for most drivers. Tech was difficult, partly because of the illiteracy of participants (myself included) and the overzealousness of the SCCA inspectors. Helmets weren’t fireproof (regardless of the fact that no other fire retardant garments and open faced helmets were allowed), tires were “expired” and fire extinguishers were nonexistent. Needless to say, Summit and the local tire guys made quite a few buck off of us participants, and with a 80 mile, mostly 45mph limited round trip, lets just say that participants AND event organizers were stressed the hell out. We all had to participate in a course tour in a motor home with Amir, the current record holder. For anyone that has never had the pleasure of his company, he is a character like none other. Lets just say that if the whole performance car market tanks due to EPA regulations, he will have no problem being a Tour Guide at the Jungle Cruise ride at Disneyland, or even a stand up comedian.
      As race day dawned, the pits were busy. Most drivers were complaining about new helmets not fitting well, fire extinguishers were being passed out from the back of trucks, still in their boxes, and most of the Spectre vehicles were on jackstands, with fresh tires on their wheels littering the area, some without wheel weights on (the local tire shops had run out, the demand was so high). But the anxiety in the air was palpable. As the course workers and media departed, the drivers were given their morning briefing, and everyone was reminded that the class awards were a 67 cent ribbon. Stay smooth, feel the course, enjoy the drive.
      The cars fired up and began the decent down the bypass road. At the bottom, the cars lined up into the staging line. The whats what of automobiles was there. Porsche GT3, EVO 9 and 10, Ferrari California, Mini Cooper S, ZR-1 Corvette, 65 Chavelle, Big Red Camaro, MR2 and even a Plymouth Laser. You couldn’t have asked for a better group of car guys. Everyone there had a mutual respect. We were all there on one of the only courses in America that could kill you. And we were all car guys that under stood one common fact. This is a race course unlike no other. Not only could it kill you, but you were in a competition against yourself more than the other cars and drivers. How far would you push it? How close is too close and how far was too far? We were all going to spend the next two days together trying to find out.
      As the first car moved from “On Deck” to the “Chalk”, everyone shifted their view up the hill. A wave of the green flag, the rev of the engine in the quiet valley, and it was on. After about 20 minutes, I was On Deck. Helmet on. Check. Gloves on. Check. fuel pump to on, Foot on the brake, clutch in, twist fo the key and all 400rwhp of 383 Big Block Mopar roar to life. Jeff Smith in his 65 Chavelle are on the Chalk. I watch him launch and am waved up by the race director, Jimi Day. I move up and the vehicle is chalked, Jimi leans in to check my 6 point harness is tight and that I’m ready to go. He gives me a 20 second coaching and pep talk, the flagman gives me the point, my visor goes down, car in first, both hands on the wheel and I give the nod. The flag waves and I’m launching up a windy public highway at 4k rpms, grabbing second as I pass the timing lights and dive into the first turn.
      To say that there is a lot to take in is an understatement, and I can’t really do it justice. It is the most visceral and raw race feeling I’ve ever felt. I made several rookie mistakes, such as returning to “my lane” after exiting an apex (some people even used their blinkers according to some course workers) and taking many of the turns tightly to keep as much space between myself and the edge. I spent the run feeling out the course, deciding better lines, shift points etc. I crossed the finish line at the bridge 5.2 miles and 4 minutes, 17seconds later and realized I wasn’t really breathing. As I cruised the cooldown road I tried to pick apart the run in my head and couldn’t. But I knew one thing, I needed to do it again.
      The next run was more of the same, but now I had an idea of what to expect, but I found myself wondering more of:
      a) Is this the strait with the slight right that has more strait, or a tight hairpin?
      b) Whay does my engine feel sluggish and surging ever so lightly over 5500rpms?
      I crossed the line that time with a 4:10, and proceeded down pit row to make some adjustments. After a leak check and tire adjustments, I found that fuel pressure was low, like 3psi low, so I adjusted the regulator to 5psi, and headed back to the return road. On the way I saw Jeff Smith leaning on the fender of his Chavelle, looking oh so cool in his firesuit. I pulled up and asked him what had happened, and he said that he had fragged his trans and didn’t have 1st-3rd. He jumped in to the Road Runner so I could give him a ride back down to John McGann and their parts truck.
      We talked cars, driving, and guys stuff, and then we changed the topic to why the Road Runner had stopped running. Luckily the return road is all downhill, so I coasted into the staging pits, and began shooting it down. We shortly discovered that the MSD box I had had given up the ghost. Great. The one thing that I didn’t bring. Luckily it was one of the things that Jeff had brought. So after a bit of hammering, crimping and zip-tying, we had a “Not-So-Direct Fit” Crane box in place of the MSD box, which was now in charge of making sure the Road Runner didn’t roll down hill while in neutral. By the time we were done, lunch break had started, so we headed up the hill for food.

After a short phone in interview with Dennis from Hot Rod Magazine Live, RJ (driver of Big Red), Ryan Pfadt (Pfadt Race Engineering) and myself, we headed back down for the final 2 hours of runs. The rest of the day went great, trying different lines and shifts, my best netting me a 4:07. Most of the good drivers had given up on the track and didn’t run after the first run of the afternoon, but us rookies needed to run the course and learn, so we kept at it. The day was great, aside from the Hill claiming a few parts and egos, everyone had an awesome time.

Sunday morning was cool, cars were running great, all of the broken cars from the previous day were repaired or just about wrapped up and running. After our safety brief, people began to head down the hill and stage up again. After my first shot up the hill the car felt great. The cold air coming in the scoop improved power and the Road Runner managed a 4:04 on cold tires. The next run up netted an even better 4:01, and I eagerly awaited my third run. As I got On Deck, the thing we all worried happened, course workers radioed, car off course. The whole pits shut down and all attention turned to the radios. With 3 cars on course at any time, speculation began. Who was out? What turn? What do they mean “off course”?
      The events as I understand them are from a couple sources, and we should have video soon enough, but as I understand, he overcorrected and went into a 3 foot ditch on the mountain side of the course, the impact was so violent it snapped both of the struts, shoving both wheels into the fenders and lowered the car to the frame. The car followed the contour of the mountain and ended up about 6 feet above the track, where it slid down and off, falling and pancaking onto the shoulder.
      We shortly got the word that after a near miss with the rapidly approaching ZR-1 Corvette (event winner, average speed of 96.4 mph, you do the math), we received word that all drivers were okay, and that cleanup would take through lunch, so we were done for the morning. Bummer.

After lunch track condition had deteriorated to the point that once again, many of the drivers packed it up into their trailers and called it a day. By the afternoon runs the course was too loose, and despite my better judgment, I wanted to run the course more. How many times in your life do you get to blast up a public highway, no speed limit, no oncoming traffic, just you, the car and the road. This is any Sunday morning back road hot rodders wet dream. By four in the afternoon I had done 3 more runs, backing up my 4:01, and steeling in my mind that next year I need more tire and I need my car to behave at 5000-6200 feet as it does at sea level. 3:41 is a pretty lofty goal without forced induction and at least a little bit of Aero. But now we know and there is always next year.
      And you can bet your ass I’ll be back.

Last edited by rrunner68; 06-21-2011 at 04:47 PM. Reason: Added Pics
      Dan W
      1968 Plymouth Road Runner
      1962 Dodge Dart 440

Incredible write up Dan! It makes me want to compete that much more; maybe next year we can convoy up there.
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

Jon, absolutely.

First video is up.
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZIZE...layer_embedded
      Dan W
      1962 Dodge Dart 440

Photos added to original post.
      Dan W
      1962 Dodge Dart 440

I couldn't agree more and let's get a group together to do this event next year. I'm in.

Mary Pozzi
      mpozzi . . . '73 Camaro RS, '69 Camaro SCCA/Trans-Am vintage racer, and a 1989 R7U 1LE Players Challenge car.

"STICK, you B*TCH!!!!!!"

"It's not a horse. You can't train it!! "

Dan, great story. It gives me a rush just reading it... making me nervous and excited at the same time! Well done sir.
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

SpeedHunters Write Up for the weekend..

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2011...challenge.aspx

Dan W
      1962 Dodge Dart 440

Great write up Dan! Speed Hunters might have assembled some great photos, but you gave us a great narrative.

Matt

Dan, did you feel you had the course memorized by your final runs?
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Quote Originally Posted by Flash68 View Post
      Dan, did you feel you had the course memorized by your final runs?
      To the extent of a normal track, no. Most big tracks that I have lots of laps on, Laguna Seca, Streets of Willow, etc, I can draw with my eyes closed right now. 341, I'd say I'm 80% there. It got to the point at the end where I was driving more from memory than instinct.
      Dan W
      1962 Dodge Dart 440

Thanks for the awesome narrative Dan. It was great to have you there and as we talked, it would be great to have more of our Pro-touring group represented at this really unique event. Just to add some flavor - here are some of the numbers from the weekend from the Spectre blog -

http://spectreperformance.com/blog/2...p-coming-soon/

We're really proud to be part of this event and are already looking forward to next year!
      Jimi Day
      FM3 Performance Marketing, Inc.
      http://www.fm3marketing.com

"The timid hang back. But those with courage will march on." - Walter P. Chrysler

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com