Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Tremec TKO600 with Autometer Electronic Speedo hookup??

I am in the middle of installing my Autometer Electronic Speedometer to the sending unit on the TKO600 trans. The weather pack connector on the trans has two wires. As referenced in a couple threads I found on the site (https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...t=tko60+speedo ), it appears that one wire is connected to the SIG terminal on the Autometer Speedometer and the other wire is just gounded. The references that I found say that it does not matter which is used as Signal and which is grounded.

Can I get some feedback from some of you that have actually done this install to verify this is correct??

Thanks in advance!!

Scott,

That's exactly how I did it. I did bring the sensor ground into the dash area to a common ground for all the instruments, but I doubt that was required.
      John Parsons

UnRivaled Rides -- Modern upgrades for your ride.

UnRivaled Rides recent project -- LS9-powered 69 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by parsonsj View Post
      Scott,

That's exactly how I did it. I did bring the sensor ground into the dash area to a common ground for all the instruments, but I doubt that was required.
      But the unanswered question is John......does it matter which is used for SIG and which ia grounded off of the Tremec sender?? Thanks for the quick reply!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott
      does it matter which is used for SIG and which ia grounded off of the Tremec sender?
      I can't really answer that. Mine worked the first time and I never had to mess with it again. I don't know if I got lucky, or if either wire would work...
      John Parsons

Doesn't the VSS sensor create a small voltage by passing by the magnets and that is what the speedo uses to convert the pulses/mile to a measured mph?...if so I don't think the sensor isn't going to care which wire is grounded or which the speedo is reading from, just so there is a voltage difference to read as a pulse.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Quote Originally Posted by John
      Doesn't the VSS sensor create a small voltage by passing by the magnets and that is what the speedo uses to convert the pulses/mile to a measured mph?...if so I don't think the sensor isn't going to care which wire is grounded or which the speedo is reading from, just so there is a voltage difference to read as a pulse.
      Correct. It's a two wire sensor, which means that the sensor is magnetic and the reluctor must be steel. I think that also means that polarity doesn't matter.
      John Parsons

Quote Originally Posted by John Wright View Post
      This is pretty much what I have gathered from reading old threads, so I will give it a go tonight!!

Read this from autometer...maybe it does make a difference:

Quote Originally Posted by autometer
      For most late model applications, our speedos can directly connect to the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) to derive the signal needed to operate, and show the vehicle speed. But, you will need to take this signal DIRECTLY from the VSS, and not from the computer, as the signal after the computer is buffered (conditioned) and our speedos will not recognize that type of signal, so the raw signal from the VSS is the wire to be connected to. Finding which wire is the signal is usually quite simple, as the signal wire will produce anywhere from 2v up to 120v DC peak to peak, so you can test for that signal with a standard multimeter (the voltage should increase with the vehicle speed). Otherwise, you can look in a service manual for the signal wire, or if you can't find it anywhere, contact us and we'll see if we have the information.
      http://www.autometer.com/tech_faq_an...px?sid=2&qid=9
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

I just finished getting an Auto Meter electronic speedo working with a conditioned signal from a TCI TCU. AM's electronic speedos are factory set for 16,000 pulses per mile.

Anyway, I guess I would just make sure I left myself an easy way to swap the wires once I could try it. IIRC, the sensor connector is pull-to-seat, so you'll have to swap wires somewhere else.
      John Parsons

This question may sound silly...but how would you check for the signal wire without driving the vehicle and using some extra wire to reach inside the car to use a volt meter?....I guess you could do it on jack stands, but there is a bit of risk involved there spinning the running gear up to speed...no loose clothes near the driveshaft.....LOL

More instructions from Autometer...sorta vague, I see why Scott has questions.

http://www.autometer.com/download_in...-1164-00rA.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by John Wright View Post
      More instructions from Autometer...sorta vague, I see why Scott has questions.

http://www.autometer.com/download_in...-1164-00rA.pdf
      Exactly John, no Tremec info on this as well. Not stated in the TKO600 manual. But I am pretty confident that the info I have found, majority supports no polarity on the weatherpack 2 pin plug on the Tremec trans.

Two wires on the trans. one goes to sig terminal and I always ground the other one to the ground terminal on the speedo to help prevent interference problems. it doesn't matter which is which on a two wire speed generator. that has been my experience.

The tremec puts out 17 pulses per revolution (I believe that is standard GM) which can end up being 40 to 50 thousand pulses per mile. the autometer speedo should work with that using the "measured mile" method of calibration. If you can't make it calibrate (it really should work though) Classic makes a signal convertor that is really slick....I have never needed it with an Autometer speedo.

FWIW on a aftermarket three wire generator i also run all three wires to the speedometer and hook them up there (power, ground, signal).

Donny

Quote Originally Posted by dontlifttoshift View Post
      Two wires on the trans. one goes to sig terminal and I always ground the other one to the ground terminal on the speedo to help prevent interference problems. it doesn't matter which is which on a two wire speed generator. that has been my experience.

The tremec puts out 17 pulses per revolution (I believe that is standard GM) which can end up being 40 to 50 thousand pulses per mile. the autometer speedo should work with that using the "measured mile" method of calibration. If you can't make it calibrate (it really should work though) Classic makes a signal convertor that is really slick....I have never needed it with an Autometer speedo.

FWIW on a aftermarket three wire generator i also run all three wires to the speedometer and hook them up there (power, ground, signal).

Donny
      Thanks a lot Donny.....that's really good info. So one wire to SIG terminal and the other to the GND terminal on the Automoter speedo? COOL

Hey...I just noticed, you're a local guy too!!

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com