Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

aluminum thickness for spoiler

I am playing around with the idea of a Nascar style trunk spoiler with struts and I was wanting opinions as to what thickness of Aluminum sheet I should buy. I don't have access to anything more than basic shop tools, but I want to give it a shot. Any input?
      I also want to build a front splitter after this project. What thickness should I consider for that?

Stephen

I think it depends what you call basic shop tools. 14 gauge is the limit for me with hand nibblers, bead rollers, etc. General rule of thumb is that the splitter should be able to support you if you stand on it.

Most hand tools will work the .040 5052 aluminum. This gauge is fine if you are using small parts, but if you make bigger parts you will need some backing supports. You can also step up to the .060 5052 which is about 1/16" thick and most hand tools will work with a little extra effort. I recommend the .060 5052 for a spoiler because of the usage in mind, lots of air forces against this part.

Good Luck

[email protected]

Would a cheap air nibbler work well? That is a tool that I don't think I would use that often. I am planning on making this spoiler and slitter and maybe play around with the scraps for some interior trim pieces.
      Stephen

A NASCAR spec thickness would be .125.... I would not use anything less that .090 I have cut them before using a jig saw... and a box of 3 inch roloc wheels... if you want some used braces let me know I work across the street from Roush/Yates parts.... its a supermarket of used and new race parts

Thanks for the offer. I will have to make some measurements. Any idea on what those little struts go for?
      Stephen

If I had to guess Id say anywhere from 5-15 bucks each

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com