Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

5.3l Swap Advice

So Im at that point in my build where Im starting to put together the powertrain for my 69 Camaro. I am on a budget so that rules out anything crazy. Right now the plan is to use an aluminum 5.3l lsx. I will be very happy with 400hp to the wheels and from what I have read thats not an unreasonable request.

So far I have picked up ls2 pushrods and yellow valve springs. On craigslist I saw a ls6 cam (comp camshaft 222/224 .566 .568) for sale. Will this work well in the 5.3l? Should I also add titanium valve spring retainers or are they not really needed?

Also with the truck intake will it clear a 2" cowl hood? I just built a c5 front subframe very similar to the 21st century sub so the engine should sit pretty low.

Lastly with that cam, a tune and long tube headers what do you think of my expected power output. Can I get away with only those mods or will it need some intake porting and a larger maf/throttle body
      Aldin
      1969 Camaro (Weapon of Choice) in the works

I should also note that I have a stock ls2 cam and timing set. Do you think I could reach my power goals with just that long tubes and a tune?
      Aldin

I think to get 400 to the wheels you'll need some heads. At least with that cam. I put 398 to the wheels in my Z06 with 224/581 and some other bolt ons. I've seen the truck intake fit in a Nova, but not camaro. Since you have custom subframe, you'll have to test fit it for clearance. Someone posted a while back on one of the forums that a pulley can be relocated to use the truck front accesories with the Fbody intake. I don't know who makes this or what it costs. If anyone knows, post it up. I plan on using a 5.3 in my 68 firebird and will probably use a cam similar to what you listed above. Post some pics of your project!
      Scott

I plan on making a complete build thread once I get a little more progress done. Plus I still need a camera! Thanks for the advice. I dont think I can swing heads right now so I figure headers and a cam are the biggest bang for the buck that I wont end up redoing later.
      Aldin

i am looking at something similar. What did you come up with?

Ended up getting a ls1/t56 dropout out of a gto. Its not running yet but I will update when I get it going.

Aldin

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com