Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
      That looks awesome. How do you like them?

Quote Originally Posted by jpgolf14 View Post
      That looks awesome. How do you like them?
      Just put them on- got them bleed yesterday. It's been a hellish 4 days of fabrications starting Thursday with building the bracket and painting them, to Friday installing. Bleed them yesterday. It's all done, but through the holes in the rotor hat I noticed that the bolts that I chose are too short, so I'll be swapping that today.

I expect them to be like all of my other brembos- superb. This car has brembo f40/f50 old cts-v front calipers and rotors on the rear and my other car has 8 piston brembos with 15" rotors in the front and 4 pistons calipers with 14.4" rotors in the rear. I installed the 6 pistons as a replacement to the z06 front brake kit that I had been running. Difference between the pbr caliper and the brembos in design is immense. The pbr had the pad pins, individual pads, and caliper springs that were in the vacinity of the rotor so that they could be damaged. For the Brembo, all of the hardware is at the top where it could never be damaged... The brembo is a superior design compared to the z06 caliper.

rear calipers

The Z06's I was replacing

New Brembo 6

And you've gotta love the 370mm x 34 mm rotors- all you see is rotor. I've been drooling over these calipers since they debuted, so I was very happy to get my hands on them.

CTS-V Brembo 6 piston swap on a 1st Gen

I have a set for my Chevelle. I am waiting on a set of l&h spindles. The rears will be mounted to my m9 which uses Torino style big ford ends.

You'll love them. Driving on them today. They are superb.

I have had a ctsv with these for 70k miles and I have never been in a car that could out stop the V. I would love them on every car I have.

You guys are getting me very excited to try mine. Should stop pretty well considering my Camaro is 800lbs lighter than the V.

I designed up a bracket to fit these brakes to a big Ford rear flange for another third genner. But I am short a few key dimensions. Does anyone have dimensions for:

big ford axle retention plate?
      differential flange to axle brake rotor mounting surface offset?

Is it the new big bearing Torino end? If it is then it is a 2.5 axle offset (flange to rotor mount). Here is a link for the dimensions for the flange bolt pattern. Do you mind sharing the cad file for this housing end when you are finished. Thanks Jason.

http://www.moserengineering.com/catalog/product/gallery/id/461/image/600/

Also would the brake bracket double as the axle retainer or would you use a spacer and the retainer bolt outside of the brake bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by Chevelle598bb View Post
      Is it the new big bearing Torino end? If it is then it is a 2.5 axle offset (flange to rotor mount). Here is a link for the dimensions for the flange bolt pattern. Do you mind sharing the cad file for this housing end when you are finished. Thanks Jason.

http://www.moserengineering.com/cata...461/image/600/
      Yes that is the correct flange. I have seen both 2.36" and 2.5" mentioned for the offset.

I have the dimensions in the Moser link. What I need is a few others.

Now perhaps is a good time for me to learn more about the Big Ford flange. If you look earlier in this thread, my 10/12 bolt bracket does NOT retain the axle. It acts as a spacer for the retainer plate to sit on top of. The 10/12 bolt requires a 1/4" thick bracket to properly space out the axle retention flange. So my 10/12 bolt bracket is 1/4" thick in the area which the retention plate sits. The question is, does the ford require a spacer as well? how thick? I really don't know squat about the ford differentials.

And yes I am happy to share the CAD file when finished.

The Torino end is 2.5 while the old big bearing is 2.36. I haven't seen a Torino end with the old big bearing offset.

What other dimensions do you need? I would be happy to bust a wheel off and take measurements and pictures.

On the Torino housing end the bearing is pressed onto the axle. The bearing is a sealed bearing and the axle seal is inside the housing and not outside of the bearing like the gm 10 bolt. The housing end mounting surface is flat. When the axle is slid into the housing all the way the outside surface of the bearing is raised from the housing end by approximately 1/8 inch or so (I can get and accurate measurement). Then the retainer is bolted to the housing end and bends a bit around the outside of the bearing to lock it into place. So the brake bracket can be made so it acts as the axle retainer plate or if not and you use the standard axle retainer plate there would need to be a spacer made for between the outside of the bearing to the outside surface of the brake bracket. So the spacer would be as thick as the caliper bracket. I think the second route would be easier to fabricate and you would be able to add the brake brackets without pulling the bearings off the axles.

On the Torino housing end the bearing is pressed onto the axle. The bearing is a sealed bearing and the axle seal is inside the housing and not outside of the bearing like the gm 10 bolt. The housing end mounting surface is flat. When the axle is slid into the housing all the way the outside surface of the bearing is raised from the housing end by approximately 1/8 inch or so (I can get and accurate measurement). Then the retainer is bolted to the housing end and bends a bit around the outside of the bearing to lock it into place. So the brake bracket can be made so it acts as the axle retainer plate or if not and you use the standard axle retainer plate there would need to be a spacer made for between the outside of the bearing to the outside surface of the brake bracket. So the spacer would be as thick as the caliper bracket. I think the second route would be easier to fabricate and you would be able to add the brake brackets without pulling the bearings off the axles.
      This is a picture of flynbye performance's Big Ford bracket. It looks like this particular bracket design acts as the bearing retainer? I'm not sure I like the idea of a bearing retainer with a slot in it for installation.

I don't think I quite follow you regarding your spacer idea. Can you try again?

Country Flag: New Zealand
      If a vendor/manufacturer is listening:-

+1 for a Torino style bracket to suit CTSV rear caliper/park brake.
      Chris

68 El Camino - Street Track Drag - in progress..

Toyota Station Wagon - only thing that actually runs....

Below is an example of the spacer. The brakes are from a 2000 ford exploder and are a direct bolt on for the Torino housing ends. The ID of the caliper bracket is larger than the bearing meaning you do not have to place the bracket onto the axle before you press the bearing on. Now the caliper bracket is also much thicker than the stock drum brake backing plate. So to use the axle retainer plates the distance between the outside surface of the bearing and the new axle retainer plate mounting surface (outside of caliper bracket must be made up. The spacer in the picture is from currie and the OD is just smaller than the brake bracket. The ID of the spacer is the same size as the retainer surface on the bearing. The spacer is .200 thick due to the caliper bracket being right at .230 thick.
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Below is an example of the spacer. The brakes are from a 2000 ford exploder and are a direct bolt on for the Torino housing ends. The ID of the caliper bracket is larger than the bearing meaning you do not have to place the bracket onto the axle before you press the bearing on. Now the caliper bracket is also much thicker than the stock drum brake backing plate. So to use the axle retainer plates the distance between the outside surface of the bearing and the new axle retainer plate mounting surface (outside of caliper bracket must be made up. The spacer in the picture is from currie and the OD is just smaller than the brake bracket. The ID of the spacer is the same size as the retainer surface on the bearing. The spacer is .200 thick due to the caliper bracket being right at .230 thick.
      Ok I think I understand what you are saying now. So you are saying to create a spacer (basically the shape of a ring) that is roughly the same thickness as the caliper bracket. The spacer goes on the axle before the bearing is pressed on. The axle stack up from out to in would be axle retainer plate then the spacer then the bearing. So when the axle retainer plate is tightened, its pushes on the spacer which then pushes on the bearing.

So what I need is the dimension of the axle retainer plate. The outside dimension. Like overall height and overall width. That way I can make sure the pocket in my bracket is large enough for the retainer plate to fit in.

If I understand everything correctly, my concept bracket shown a few posts ago would work with the addition of the spacer ring.

That is exactly it. I will bust a retainer off tommorrow and get some measurements.

I think your earlier drawing would work great after adding the spacer and retainer dimensions.

Country Flag: United States
      Will a 18 inch rim fit over the CTS-V front Rotor?
      Brian P

Quote Originally Posted by BrianP View Post
      Will a 18 inch rim fit over the CTS-V front Rotor?
      They should. Here is a picture of my 19's. Easily more than 1/2" of clearance. I have a spare 18" BMW wheel laying around. I will try that out later. You do have to be careful with caliper to spoke clearance.

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by jpgolf14 View Post
      Got the rear brackets designed and built. Seems to work pretty well. Its not a bolt on. You have to have to modify a few things on the OEM cadillac dust shield / e-brake bracket.

Man thats what i'm hoping to do on my set up. would you mind shooting me the CAD files on those.

That is exactly it. I will bust a retainer off tommorrow and get some measurements.

I think your earlier drawing would work great after adding the spacer and retainer dimensions.
      Cool. Grab as many dimensions as you can. I'm not sure if the shape is exactly like this one. But this is what I would need for that shape. A picture would also be great.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com