Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
      Purchased a set of 2nd Gen F-body billet door hinges from Ringbrothers today, which were also shipped out to me today. I contacted Staci this morning to find out where the hinges were in the machining process. Staci advised that the machining process had been completed. Staci advised that she had 5 sets of hinges on hand for immediate sale, three sets were left, to include the set shipped to me (these sets are tumble polished but not anodized). Stacey advised that a large batch of hinge sets (approximately 150) where scheduled to go to anodizing and should be ready for sale in no more than 4 weeks. So just want to give everyone whose considering purchasing a set of these hinges a heads up.

What's the pricing on these?

Staci advised me that the price for a set of hinges (which will have an anodized finish) is going to be $625.00, plus shipping (which in my case was an additional $20).

Well... on Monday I will begin shipping 2nd gen Camaro and Firebird door hinges. FINALLY! I only have 25 sets for Monday.
      They are on our website. The first product listed under Camaro and Firebird - but there isn't a picture loaded yet. What a process. We never thought it would take this long. Well worth the wait - this is one hell of a piece. Serves a great purpose.

Black anodized
      Built to hold the weight of the heavy doors unlike the stock steel door hinge.
      Detents built in to hold the door open in different positions.
      $625 for a set of 4
      Last edited by Ringbrothers; 03-16-2012 at 11:31 AM.

Woo Hoo!!

In for some pics...
      73 Camaro LQ9, BW S480 Turbo, Jake's STG 3 4L80E, E85.

Country Flag: Australia
      Pity I couldn't wait...mine's all gapped and nearly finished at the paint shop....no way I can disturb the gaps now and replace the new stock hinges I bought. Just a few months the wrong side of these hinges....geat product, though!!!!!
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

Quote Originally Posted by sullyman View Post
      Purchased a set of 2nd Gen F-body billet door hinges from Ringbrothers today, which were also shipped out to me today. I contacted Staci this morning to find out where the hinges were in the machining process. Staci advised that the machining process had been completed. Staci advised that she had 5 sets of hinges on hand for immediate sale, three sets were left, to include the set shipped to me (these sets are tumble polished but not anodized). Stacey advised that a large batch of hinge sets (approximately 150) where scheduled to go to anodizing and should be ready for sale in no more than 4 weeks. So just want to give everyone whose considering purchasing a set of these hinges a heads up.
      I ordered my set 2 weeks ago. Went with the anodized. I was told that the tumbled, even clear coated may have issues with corrosion over time. Anodizing was their preference and I purchased black.

Just ordered! I hope I made it in time

Country Flag: United States
      Great hinges! I know this posting is getting a bit old, but are there any more of the hinges available (they weren't listed on the RingBros site)?

Also, is it possible to remove and replace the hinges on a second gen Camaro without removing the front fenders? (I did a search but didn't see a posting on this).
      Thanks!

Unfortunately you have to remove the front fenders to get at the A-pillar side of the upper and lower hinge bolts. I was in the process of replacing both L/H and R/H fenders on my 71 Camaro with a set of used GM factory fenders (had OER aftermarket fenders from Classic Industries that I was not at all thrilled about - fit and finish was horrible, would have required extensive modifications to make them look and install right - unfortunate had a paint shop sprayed them and mount them just as they were - the fit and finish on the original GM fenders is so much better - like night and day). Anyway to get back to the Ring Brother's hinges. I had been battling the factory hinges (they were rebuilt with new pins and bushings - the passenger’s side door just did not want to line up correctly, driver's side hinge would make a popping sound about every fourth or fifth time you opened or closed the door- I adjusted and adjusted, over and over, lots and lots of hours, to try and make sure the hinges were not binding and such - they just would not set up correctly). I was so frustrated with all the numerous hours I spent and not being able to get the doors right. Figured I'd pull the trigger and go for the Ring Brother's hinges. I was leery to say the least as I have wasted so much money on aftermarket products that do not install/perform/or last as advertised. I have to say the Ring Brother's hinges are at the top of my list for aftermarket products I have purchased that "do work" without any modifications to the car. I spent about a day and half (over a weekend) removing the OER fenders, factory hinges and installing the Ring Brother's hinges and the GM factory front fenders. What a difference they both made. I figured on it being a huge undertaking. Hinges went in very easily (the door has to be in the full opened position to install the Ring Brother's hinges, compared to a factory hinge which you can remove with the door closed - to get to the mounting bolts on the door side of the Ring Brother's hinges- upper and lower - the door must be fully opened - there is enough room between the door and the A-pillar to use a quarter inch drive with long socket or a flex adapter and short socket). My passenger's door adjusted without any of the prior problems I had with the factory hinge. The driver's door no longer makes the snapping sound when opening and closing. The opening and closing of the doors is so much smoother. I have dyna-mat installed internally on my doors, power windows regulators and motors, and speakers also - so my doors definitely have additional weight on them compared to how they came out of the factory. My initial impression of the hinges is very good. I'll have to see how they hold up over time. My initial impressions regarding their built quality is that they will be trouble free. I hope so. I have another F-body (a 73 Formula) that I intend to do down the road and another set of Ring Brother's hinges will be part of that vehicle's upgrades. I am not associated with any type of shop. I am just a muscle car enthusiast who enjoys the hobby of do it yourself work projects, especially the old steel bumper era muscle cars.

Country Flag: Australia
      Glad those worked out for you....would have loved to have used them on mine, but I was passed the point where I could easily retro fit them.
      Regards,
      Leigh

Sydney, Australia
      1971 Firebird 455

https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...Project/page27

I totally understand where you are coming from. Had I not been changing out the front fenders I would have tried to make the factory hinges work out the best I could. It just happened to be an opportune time that Ring Brother’s was putting their completed hinges out on the market at the time. By the way I have been following your build for quite some time. It was part inspiration for my purchasing the 73 Formula. You cannot beat the look of old steel bumper muscle cars in my opinion. A while back I had an 81 black and gold Turbo Trans Am but could not shake wanting and early 70’s Trans Am or Formula. I have to pin part of that on the movie McQ with John Wayne. Some awesome car chase scenes with a green 70’s Trans Am in that movie. I can only hope down the road my Formula will turn out half as nice as yours. I had the Camaro to the body shop today to arrange getting the new front fenders sprayed, as well as the rest of the car (the original painter, who just hung and shot the reproduction fenders, unfortunately took the same approach to the rest of the car). So gonna have the new body shop squared away the paint and finish of the car. A six months to one year project turned into three years unfortunately. I originally got hooked up with a shady engine shop. They built a very poor low quality SBC 383 stroker motor (unfortunately for a premium price), did not put more than 1600 miles on that motor (their poor machine work and assembly eventually reared its ugly head), which ended up being replaced with a properly machined, quality parts built 383 from another shop. Lost my new TKO 600 transmission to a shady dyno shop. Left the car with them for dyno tuning and came back to a blown out drive shaft. Rear yoke straps and bolts were sheared off from some type of sudden stoppage. Broke the transmission case and tail housing and I had to have the rear end completely gone through to make sure everything was okay. Unfortunately no video footage of the dyno run and what happened. The front spoiler showed gouge marks of being folded up onto something and then returning to its orginal position(appears that the car lurched forward into something). To the less than stellar original paint shop. Sad the quality of work some people are willing to pass off in their quest for the all mighty dollar. Anyway the new body shop/painter was totally impressed with how well the body lines on the doors line up and how easily the doors opened and closed. Attributed to the new Ring Brother’s hinges of course. He was impressed given the build quality and function of early-70s GM automobiles.

Thanks and regards,
      Tom

Long term feedback

Been trying to get some feedback on how these hinges are holding up. Posted in paint and body section and got a reply from someone with bad experiences with RB hood hinges but still haven’t heard from anyone that has the door hinges and has used them for a while.

Please let me know your thoughts if you have these hinges.

Some feedback would be good to know and appreciated... especially as inflation has raised the price $275 since the first posting. I'd like to know if these hinges are truly worth that kind of coin.

https://www.ringbrothers.com/1970-19...inge-kit-black

Quote Originally Posted by BBBluey View Post
      Some feedback would be good to know and appreciated... especially as inflation has raised the price $275 since the first posting. I'd like to know if these hinges are truly worth that kind of coin.

https://www.ringbrothers.com/1970-19...inge-kit-black
      Worth is subjective. I have the RG door hinges....I can say I rather have these than some over price NOS pieces that need rust treatment and will eventually wear like the old ones. I'm also not a fan of repop stuff as its usually lower quality....in this case I have seen people with issues on the OER hinges.

$775 is alot of coin!!
      1970 Camaro/DSE build

Are you driver enough? Maybe....come on blue!
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...71#post1147371

Country Flag: Canada
      I'd personally rather spend the 20$ for a bushing kit for oem door hinges before dropping 1000$ on door hinges.

Quote Originally Posted by badazz81z28 View Post
      Worth is subjective. I have the RG door hinges....I can say I rather have these than some over price NOS pieces that need rust treatment and will eventually wear like the old ones. I'm also not a fan of repop stuff as its usually lower quality....in this case I have seen people with issues on the OER hinges.

$775 is alot of coin!!
      How is the operation of the RB hinges, do the detents work well?

Only in mock up now

Quote Originally Posted by Rsj4h View Post
      How is the operation of the RB hinges, do the detents work well?
      Only used for mock up so far. That being said, the detents do work well and the doors have a good solid feel through the travel and closing.

These hinges are on my purchase list in the future. Seen the first hand and helped install some. Great product. Aa little pricey but will not have to worry about sagging door again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com