Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Fastener Selection Strength vs. Corrosion Resistance

I really like using stainless fasteners because they don't rust and they look nice. However, they are not nearly as strong as steel and in applications requiring significant strength (suspension joints, motor mounts, frame member mounts, etc.) I would prefer to use steel for its superior strength characteristics.

However, it really sucks when I see these same fasteners rusting. I have tried using black oxide coated fasteners but this is only a mildly corrosion resistant coating and quickly degrades in outdoor use. Are there any steel fasteners out there with a better corrosion resistance than black oxide? I have had similar results using galvanized or zinc plated fasteners; they still eventually rust and corrode, and generally turn out looking ugly. I am open to other materials, but I think using materials such as titanium is out of the question due to cost considerations.

Thanks!
      Sean

Country Flag: United States
      How about Inconel 718 or A286 fasteners like here: http://www.spstech.com/aero/fastener...category=BOLTS

http://www.totallystainless.com/TS-HS.pdf

Totally Stainless worked with ARP to develop these high strength stainless bolts. I will let you judge if they are strong enough for your application but I know if anyone can make a high strength stainless bolt it would be ARP. Let me know what you think.

Donny

I'm using those high strength stainless bolts from Totally Stainless. The first ones I got through Mark at SC&C. I got more for additional uses since then. I've seen no evidence of any issues or problems with them - obviously so long as you use anti-seize. I've had them in and out a number of times and inspected them each time.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

THe black oxide coating only works well if you can keep the bolts oiled.

I have the stainless botls from SC&C as well. I have been running the first ones for about year with no problems.

Same here for SC&C. If you can see it in the engine compartment, than it's worth dropping a few bucks for me. Otherwise an industrial yellow zinc dichromate holds up well when done correctly. Hardware store variety grade 8 bolts seem to always have poor plating on them. I have better luck getting them from an industrial source like McMaster-Carr.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com