Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Cooling the power steering

Has any one tried using the trans cooler in a radiator as a power steering cooler? Not too sure if the pressures are the same....

the power steering return has little pressure, less than what the trans will have. but it needs more volume and the trans cooler is too small to flow it. for the effort, pick up a p/s cooler from a truck at a junk yard
      1986 Camaro Z28. TPI fueled 383. 430 hp, 466 lb ft. Still a work in progress but driven often

A third gen that does more than go in a straight line

I think CarlC may have tried this on his first gen, hopefully he will chime in.

I've had good luck with the extruded aluminum stand alone tranny cooler - using it as a PS cooler on the return line, just pre-fill it or the PS fluid will foam real bad from all the air. -Dan
      1968 Camaro RS/SS, LS7 with Katech mods, T56 Magnum, C6Z06 Brakes
      1968 Camaro RS Convertible LS3/480hp/4L70E
      1962 Corvette 327-340hp stock
      1963 Corvette Split Window Coupe
      1967 Corvette L79 convertible
      2006 Corvette Z06
      2011 Corvette GS convertible

You can buy a new ps cooler for around $27 for a 9" ,$29 for 12", and $40 for a double loop. I would buy a new one over a used one for that kind of money because aluminum does heat cycle and become less effective as it gets older.

I just ordered the double loop for mine since I lost a seal on my rack at the Motorstate in the 2nd session. It was more than likely due to a 27 yr old seal but I am not going to take any chances, my temp was at 260 degrees when I got but to the paddock area.
      May The Horsepower Be With You !!!

I'm trying a slightly different route. I went to a Lee dry p-pump and one of his finned aluminum remote reservoirs. Tom feels that the finned aluminum remote reservoir also acts as a cooler and may well solve my issue. I sure hope so because I'm really TIRED of cleaning power steering fluid.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

On my Chevelle I have a B&M 32,000 GVW stacked plate trans cooler acting as a power steering cooler. It added at least a quart of fluid to the system and I haven't had any issues with it.
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

We've had several customers use our integral coolers for their power steering with decent results. But, if you are really hard on your system (like autocrossing) you should consider a reservoir with filter (like what Howe sells) as well as a standalone cooler with built in fan. That will probably be your best bet

As a follow-up, I tested my dry pump and finned aluminum reservoir at Heidts, and it held up with no apparent issues.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

I've used a KRC aluminum power steering pump with seperate resevoir and no cooler for many years now with no overheating problems. I'm really not getting the power steering cooler thing.....

Gaetano Cosentino
      Dont Drive Faster Than Your Angels Can Fly

On reassembly I will be running an aluminum finned power steering cooler mounted just below the opening of the core support for the radiator. My Hooker Super Comp headers runs really close to my box and I know when I run it hard threw corners for long periods of time my PS fluid gets hot.

68 496 car is getting a face lift and details like this worked out.
      Tim Tracy
      68 Camaro 496 / T56 - Never Finished
      68 Camaro Real Z/28 - Under Restoration
      67 Camaro Project - Never going to have time

I only see the need for coolers on Drift Cars and a few autocross cars. Every drift car I have built has a spot for the cooler in the initial design. We use setrab coolers on the return. I never liked the idea of trans coolers built into radiators in a performance application.
      Waterproof CF-29 keyboard makes you type like you mean it.

I can say first hand that if you're running an integrated pump/reservoir, it can easily be a problem. I could possibly have solved my issue with a cooler but decided to just go dry pump and separate finned reservoir first. Obviously, a cooler would have been less expensive.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com