Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Best th350 to tko600 swap?

Who's completed a swap w/least fabrication and trouble on a stock 68 subframe?

Everyone around me is telling me it's murder, but they all have turbo 350's or 7004r's so I'm ignoring them.

check out www.classicchevy5speeds.com Alot of people on here have purchased the kits from him and have had really good luck with it. Im personally waiting on them to open the GP again and then Ill be getting a kit also.
      Justin, 68 Camaro Update:5 speed is in and neighbors are pissed!

Country Flag: United States
      I did the swap from a TH350 to a TKO-600. No problems. I worked with Classic Chevy 5 Speeds and 5speedtransmissions.com. Both are great guys. Check my web site to see some pictures. It was the best thing I changed. I love the TKO.
      Mike Schwartz aka chevymike
      1955 Chevy 210 Wagon
      1965 Chevy C10 Panel Truck
      1972 Chevy El Camino

Chevymike - What subframe bushings are you running?

Country Flag: United States
      Global West as are the upper arm and lower arm bushings. Full height bushing BTW
      Mike Schwartz aka chevymike
      1955 Chevy 210 Wagon
      1965 Chevy C10 Panel Truck
      1972 Chevy El Camino

I'll second the vote for Jeff, Scott, and Jim at Classic Chevy 5-Speed. My 69 is a big block using stock BB mounts. I bought my TKO 600 RR, Pell/Forte crossmember, and some of the other pieces from Forte. When I put it all in, the 3rd gen F-body torque arm boss that is on the tailshaft housing rested on the lip of the crossmember, and of course the trans mount holes were in the wrong place. I called Mike, and he said folks are just Sawzalling the boss off, and redrilling the holes. I was trying to think of a better way, and then I saw the new trick (it's actually pretty simple) crossmember CC5S has, so I called and got one. It has two sets of mounting holes where it bolts to the subframe, to accomodate car to car variations.

The CC5S crossmember still did not have the trans mount holes in the correct locations, so I called Jeff again with the offset needed, and he had them made. Now it fits like a glove, and CC5S has the ONLY big block/TKO crossmember on the market.

I have plenty of pics of the Forte/Pell, CC5S small block, and CC5S big block crossmembers if folks want to see them.

As far as waiting for a group purchase, I wouldn't. Jeff Mortenson is really easy to deal with, and I suspect he will hook you up. Send him an email at [email protected], and tell him Eric Kammerer sent you. And no, I don't get a commission or kickback (although for now I have the only "correct" BB crossmember).

I'm running the GW solid stock height bushings too. The CC5S crossmember has plenty of room to move, with the way it's bent.

For what it is worth, I have heard some people have issues with the vent on the top of the TKO hitting the top of the trans tunnel, and they drill a small hole to clear it (yikes!). I don't think I would have had an issue with the Forte/Pell cross, but I do not for sure with the CC5S cross. I have at least 3/8" clearance up top.

Wow guys! I have been lurking here for so long (usually over at camaros.net), I did not realize the above was actually the first time I had anything to add! Now here I am at two posts!

Eric

Thanks for all of the kind words guys.
      68BNUT - Give us a call and we will see what we can do.
      Jeff Mortenson

also you might want to check with keislerauto.com...

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com