Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post

You never saw Beverly Hills cop? D'oh, I'm getting old! Axel Foley=guy putting banana in the tailpipe.
      Look, man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tailpipe .... Classic ...
      67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 Johnny Winters TH400 74cc KRE d-port flowed @ 310 cfm heads piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.55 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s

Honest dad that 455 on the side of the block is a serial number

Quote Originally Posted by BonzoHansen View Post
      Call Axel Foley

I'd try 2.5" tail pipes first. You already have somewhat quiet mufflers, unless you can put longer ones in.

Are you running an OD trans? I didn't see it mentioned.
      X2 on the 2.5" tails first... then maybe add glasspacks as resonators to them behind the axle if need be. Just getting tails out the back is going to make a big difference! And you won't lose hardly any power or performance...

Did anyone read the article I posted that was tested both on the track and with a db meter? Just sayin'...
      SMSgt Ty Ingle, USAF
      "CF71" - Freedom Bird
      Hoodpins.com, Inland Empire Driveline, Billet Accessories Direct, Modo Innovations, AutoRad Radiators, Morris Classic Concepts, Marquez Design, Anvil Auto, Fesler Billet, US Collision (DOOM), AGR Performance, Pro-touringF-body.com, Phoenix Transmission Products, Shiftworks, ACC Carpet, Hedman Hedders, BMR Fabrication, American Autowire, MityMounts, TIN INDIAN Performance, Kauffman Racing Equipment, Pypes, RobbMc Performance, WMC, Holley, NOS, PST

I replaced my straight pipes with thrush mufflers I had lying around and it made the world of difference on my Magnaflow exhaust. It was like a different car sound wise and the drone was gone.mufflers happened to be exact length as my straight pipe section so it was a no brainer.

00' WS6 Trans Am
      Incon TT.. now custom twin t-66's and A2W...
      http://media.putfile.com/twin-turbo-startup
      55' chevy Bel Air... 4 dr, but still a fun project!
      67' Camaro RS/SS clone... hers
      69' Camaro... another clone, FAST XFI, Procharger

Check these inserts from Car Chemistry. I installed them on my old 3" system and they sure took the edge off and reduced droning. I simply cut out a 7" long piece, inserted the pieces, and then used wide band clamps to fasten them. I also cut out another set of pipes so I could remove the silencers if I wanted to by inserting the pipes without the silencers.

http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/ind...ct_detail&p=19

Quote Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
      Check these inserts from Car Chemistry. I installed them on my old 3" system and they sure took the edge off and reduced droning. I simply cut out a 7" long piece, inserted the pieces, and then used wide band clamps to fasten them. I also cut out another set of pipes so I could remove the silencers if I wanted to by inserting the pipes without the silencers.

http://www.carchemistry.com/shop/ind...ct_detail&p=19
      I found a photo. You can see the one of the right in this photo clearly.

I used the car chemesty inserts for my 3.5" collectors. Very simple to use; drop the pipes off the collector, insert and put back together. It decreased noise by 20% I would guess, which made it tolerable.

When you put these in the pipes do you tack weld them or just insert them? If you just insert them do they rattle inside the pipes?
      Steve Hayes
      "Dust Off"
      68 Camaro

Given sufficient initial acceleration, even pigs can fly!

Quote Originally Posted by TheJDMan View Post
      When you put these in the pipes do you tack weld them or just insert them? If you just insert them do they rattle inside the pipes?
      They fit very tight and do not rattle.

did you notice any real performance loss with the CC inserts? thats my main fear with their design.

and you happen to be right up the road. we may have to get together sometime. im up in rockwell at least once a week.

michael
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Quote Originally Posted by dusterbd13 View Post
      did you notice any real performance loss with the CC inserts? thats my main fear with their design.

and you happen to be right up the road. we may have to get together sometime. im up in rockwell at least once a week.

michael
      I didn't notice any power loss. It muted the exhaust just enough to reduce the droning. These inserts were orignally designed for drag racers who raced at tracks with sound level limitations. They had to try to maintain as much power as possible to please these guys.

I'll PM you my phone number.

I got it, turn the radio up louder.

What did you say ?? I can't hear you..

michael
      I just spoke with Ken @ Car Chemistry last week about this and he said the Silencers (4 disks) will rob some power in the mid to upper rpm's, but the 3 disk Inserts will reduce by 5-7 db and not take nearly as much power.

I have some 3.5" 3 disk Inserts on the way and will be testing this right after Xmas.
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

i knew it sounded familiar.....

been a lot of years since ive seen that movie

and in the area i live, i can only drive my car from october to may without dying of heatstroke. and then by the time i get off of work, its too dark. so AC is more important at this point in time so i can enjoy my car throughout the year.

Michael
      And if you do try to drive at night, you run the risk slaying deer with a beloved classic car..... understand exactly where you're coming from. Is this the bad ass blue and silver duster I saw at RTTH in '10? If so, I don't remember it being that loud.....
      JC Scott

nah, its the brht red one from 11.

got the AC done now.
      working next on sound levels, and saving my pennies for a five speed and EFI.

seriously looking at throwing a pair of cats on it, to both reduce the sound levels and to reduce tailpipe smell. (my wife complains about my exhaust fumes as my garage is in the basement, and i "smell like exhaust" when i get home with the car.

may go with the CC inserts still jusry is still out
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

An X crossover can significantly reduce the sound. My TA has 3" into a Dr Gas X then into DYnomax Ultraflos and 3" Torque Tech tailpipes and is really pretty darned quiet.

FWIW it ran the same identical times as open headers even with the additional weight of mufflers and tailpipes.
      1978 Black Trans Am 455 Edelbrock heads [email protected] through mufflers on pump gas
      1981 Trans Am 400 stock type motor
      79 Camaro getting a 500" 695 hp IA2 Pontiac motor
      1965 GTO project car
      470ci/Chevy dual quad 409 604 HP 64 Impala SS project
      2004 Pulse Red GTO

Do you have a link to the HAMB home-made dealios?
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Isn't the whole idea with the 3 inch exhaust to have a better louder sound...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com