Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

200R4 no 2nd gear ???

I have a 200r4 built by Performabuilt. I just put a fresh motor in my camaro and now I have no 2nd gera in trans . It is nice and tight in 1st and reverse and shifts and drives good in drive and OD . Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be ?

I would call the shop that built the trans. I have a 200r4 in my car and I have a spare one just in case. I have no problems with my trans and it was built back in 2003.
      Douglas Lutes
      1988 Monte Carlo SS

"Never race anything you can't afford to set on fire and push off a cliff."

Does it only not work when it automatically shifts when in "D"?
      Do you have 2nd when you manually shift from M1 to M2?
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

Sicmonte , I called the shop that built it and he said it could be the band . absintheisfun, it has nothing when I manually shift from m1 to m2 and the trans never has shifted right when I jut put it in D and take off . I'm looking at the TCI constant pressure valvebody and master rebuild kit . Th etech guy at TCI said their valvebody solves the problem with the picky TV cable that is known to destroy these trans . I was hoping that it could be a simple fix and not a total rebuild.

Sorry for the late response...if it runs fine and doesn't slip in first, but just won't shift (automatically or maually) into second, you could have a problem with your intermediate clutches slipping

OR....

If your pump isn't pressurizing your intermediate clutches, they won't engage the one way and you won't shift into 2nd.

Does reverse work okay?
      Confucius says, "Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life"

My build Beast

how did you adjust the TV cable? if its like the 700R4 then you should adjust it all the way in and then push the throttle pedal all the way to the floor for it to adjust out.
      Instagram: CamaroAJ

Okee...scratch my last. I did some checking, and as it turns out there is a band, actually it is the only band in the trans that controls the shift to 2nd. If the servo was not installed correctly, it won't engage the band. If the direct drum was warped and not replaced during the rebuild, the band won't be able to hold it and you won't get 2nd (or it will slip)

My build Beast

Reverse works great ,1st pulls nice and tight and drive and OD work great . Its been built and in the car for 4 1/2 years and I just built another motor and now no 2nd gear . Could the servo have trash in it causing it to not operate the bad correctly? I have adjusted to TV cable the way you should and even moved it an extra click or 2 in each direction . I checked with TCI and the have a constant pressure valvebody that remidies the need for the TV cable to be adjusted perfect . If I go that way I will install their master rebuild kit . I want the best clutches and parts I can get because I have about 525hp and a little NOS to throw at this trans.

I'm not very familiar with 200R's, but sevos can go bad if they are hydraulic and the fluid is contaminated to the point that debris is trapped in the valve body lines leading to it. If it is electric then there is always a chance for electronic gremlins.

If you are going to rebuild this, the only thing I will tell you about clutches and bands is to stick with the paper materials. Many companies now are selling kevlar clutch packs and kevlar bands---these actually have a lower friction coeficient than paper so they don't grip as well and will actually lead to slippage faster than the paper.

My build Beast

Without getting technical, try running the car to 5000+ rpm in first and then put it in second, while RAPIDLY going from 100% to 0% throttle and back. Do this like 10 or 15 times. Sometimes this will fix your problem after a fresh rebuild.
      -James

1974 Z28 SCCA C Prepared
      1990 Firebird NASA CMC
      2005 Mustang GT SCCA F-Street (new for 2015)
      1989 Civic Si SCCA STC

It's not a fresh rebuild on the trans . I'm going to swap the valvebody out this weekend and see if that changes it ,if not I will order master rebuild kit and constant pressure valvebody from TCI monday and redo the dang thing .

good luck with it. Be sure you know where all the check balls go when putting the new one in.

My build Beast

I've been searching on the internet for a diagram of the valvebody and where the balls go and am not having any luck

Hope this helps. It is the check ball locations on an 87 T-Type 2004R

if you can give me specific year/make/model that the trans came from I can probably get you a check ball location chart.

My build Beast

It's an 86 Monte Carlo trans . Do the balls go in the VB or in the trans ? I've got the pan off and the other valvebody and TCI shift plate ready to go and an just scared to pull the VB down and F something up.

I'm not really sure. I just pulled the valve body apart on a 4L60 and the check balls just started bouncing. Some were in the bottom, some in the top. Whatever you do, you NEED to get a new VB gasket. Also, be sure you compare your new plate to the old one....more often than not, you have to drill a few holes and modify your new plate to match your old one.

Edit: I just found this link that may help you out a bit:
      www.artcarr.com/merchandise/technical/12/28.acpp
      A tip for getting the check balls to hold in the upper portion while you assemble it is use vaseline or transgel to hold them in place.

My build Beast

I swapped the VB out last night and then gave it a test drive this morning and still no 2nd gear . I will order a TCI kit this week and just rebuild the whole thing and let you know what I find inside it thats Fd up . Thank you for all your help . I will update as soon as I get it built and tested.

souonds like you need a tremec! he,he,he.

drive it like you stole it!
      1971 duster "deb"
      2016 GMC duramax tow rig
      1975 AMC matador coupe-long term project

I would steer clear of anything TCI, they have a bad rep with any Buick guy who tried them. First thing should have been to take it back to the builder and let them check it out. I would check the servo and the pin for the 2nd gear band.
      Scott be me name, arrggg

06 TrailBlazer SS

86 Buick T Type WH1

86 Buick Grand National <RIP>

myspace.com/irvjr

I am watching this closely as I have a trans with a similar issue. I am interested as to what you find. I lost 2nd gear while driving. As the car had 120k miles I rebuilt the trans. It needed a rebuild as well as a drum as it was blue from band slippage. The trans still does not have second gear even though it air checks ok and all parts seem to function properly and the pressures are ok. I have had several "experts" check it out and had quite few phone calls to other "experts" for ideas and everything checks ok but there still is no 2nd gear. i ended up installing another trans I had in the garage but it would be nice to sort this one out so it can be used in the future.
      Bryan Campbell

70 Opel GT 462 Buick powered (Sold)
      75 Buick Gran Sport
      85 Buick Grand National
      86 Buick Grand National (Sold)
      87 Buick Grand National (Sold)
      05 Lotus Elise

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com