Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Here is a small cooling story to relate some good information,,,,

A long time customer brought his new purchase to me to science out the cooling system. Crappy small Derale knock off fans let it get hot.
      He was told it was a 355 turns out its a 060 80 400sbc.
      So he decided to pick up a big aluminum radiator off ebay after I showed him what to look for. For the cash for street driven they work, not super pretty but functional.
      BUT he had issues so I pull out a few of my cavalier style fans.
      I have used these for years with great luck and never had any issues.
      But for the most part we never got this unit to cool good enough,,,it always ran very hot,, like near 220-230 never lower.
      So I pull out my nearly guaranteed cooling system fix:

www.Evanscooling.com NPG+ brought it right in line, threw away the 22 lb cap for a 2 lb, new water pump flush the block and heater core with flush, new 195 thermostat as it mad horrible power colder.
      Car runs to 205 cools down to 185 then levels out.
      Fans cycle and it runs a thousand percent better and no over heat.

Honestly guys this stuff is awesome,,,, 375degree boiling point with no pressure, -40 degree freeze point and it only gets slushy IF it freezes, never gets hard as it has NO water.
      Oh and it is kid/pet friendlier as it propylene glycol,,, and no corrosion.
      See if you have water and EG it can become almost like acid/water in a battery and with cast iron/aluminum,,,old AF tada electrolysis or your engine becomes a battery.

Yes its expensive, last cases I bought was $39.99 a gallon plus shipping and its doesnt have nasty haz/mat issues.

So guys look into it cause it works and its not super rocket science, just a good part for our hobby.

Good Luck!
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I've been wanting to try this for a while now. May have to get me some. Thanks for sharing
      Waterproof CF-29 keyboard makes you type like you mean it.

Lee,

I am having some cooling problems of my own and have thought about Evans coolant, but honestly I am very skeptical about it. I have read many comments that it actually runs hotter than water/antifreeze setup by quite a bit for people that have tried it. I understand it wont boil over, but for a forced induction setup I am looking for cooler engine temps, not hotter.

Setup is a 392 inch 3rd gen hemi with twin turbos. Cooling setup consists of Afco dual pass radiator with dual 1.25 inch tubes inside an aluminum shroud with 16 inch fan rated at about 2200 CFM.

I have moved to about 10% antifreeze and the rest water with 2 bottles of water wetter with some relief. It runs around 200 at idle, but if you start to lean on it on the highway it will keep climbing. I have removed the shroud and mounted the fan direct to the radiator as I suspected the shroud was restricting flow too much and that seems to have helped but it still seems to warm up more than I want.

Tonight it was about 80 degrees out and not under boost but cruising at 0-2 hg manifold vacuum for a mile or so it would reach 220 before I would let off. Thermostat is 180. Radiator core size is 22 wide by 16 tall. I also have a 3.5 inch thick intercooler in front of the radiator and it is a vertical flow cooler so there is an intercooler tank about 3.5 inches tall blocking flow for the width of the radiator.

I am running out of ideas honestly, and am thinking about doing away with the intercooler and coming up with a different idea for the turbos. Do you think Evans would be a major improvement? The reading I have done says it wont cool as well as water, but you seem to have had good luck with it.

how much space do you have between your radiator and your intercooler? Is there anything else in front of your radiator and intercooler (like a transmission cooler, a-c condensor, etc)?

There is about 1/2 to 3/4 inch between the intercooler and radiator. Nothing else in front of it. I really think the intercooler is the problem but it would require getting another cooler customer made which is a big turn off to me. I will try to post some pictures.

yep, that is a considerable problem. Not the gap, as that is a decent space to allow air to move. But the problem is in the tank at the top and bottom of the intercooler, as they are blocking a good bit of the core of the radiator immediately behind it. Also, 16x22 is on the small side for a motor that size, especially if you have turbos. I would suggest looking at a larger radiator if you have the space. What is the vehicle? And have you made sure that you aren't running lean on the motor?

Car is a 74 Plymouth Cuda. The bottom intercooler tank isn't blocking any of the core, as the radiator was ordered with a shortened core so that the intercooler inlets could pass under the core rather than cut holes in the core support and inner fenders for piping from the turbos to the intercooler, if that makes sense. The radiator was shortened 3 inches to allow this if I remember correctly. This car was made with the 26 inch radiator core support from the factory, but when converted to cross flow from vertical, I lost some of the width there also as the tanks are now on the side when they were top and bottom from the factory. I really thought I would not have a problem with the 1.25 tubes and double pass radiator. I was always told that the cross flow radiators were more efficient than the vertical flow coolers also which I thought would help. Makes me want to go to a liquid cooled Kenne Bell to get away from the turbo ductwork nightmare.