Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: I Killed it!

Country Flag: United States
      Quote Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
      I'm no expert but I did stay at the roach coach motel last night.

Big blocks are different animals. They have a very heavy valvetrain. Heavy valvetrain means high spring pressure as RPM increases. It's no secret that most big blocks with street cams peak at around 6000.(Hyd or Solid) The difference between hydraulic and solid is a solid holds on until 7k and actually controls the valves and doesn't bleed off so much power. My first engine was a hydraulic roller and my current is a solid. That extra 800 rpm is huge for autocross and road racing. It also makes more all around power and keeps pulling long after my previous camshaft puked.

I also disagree that they are loud. My lash is only .016-.018 hot. That's what is known as a tight lash cam and it's no louder than the hydaulic i had before. Here is what most don't realize, with an aluminum block and heads, cold lash is actually only .006-.008 cold and the lash grows appox. .010 at operating temp. My engine is very quiet at start up and reasonable at operating temp.

Now, there are many drawbacks to a solid camshaft on the street. You really need to keep a close eye on them and adjust them. I find this to be a pain in the ass as I have better things to do with my free time. Also, the lifter are oiled by crank splash. It's critical to keep a 1000rpm or above idle for some sling. Idling is actually one of the hardest things on a solid lifter. With all that being said, a solid roller lifter is a wear item. They need to be changed in increments. The jury is out on how long. It really depends on the abuse and maintenence. Valve springs are also a wear item due to the high spring pressures needed. They will likely need changed with the lifters.
      Made sense to me. Thanks for the explanation.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas69 View Post
      And that's why you have an LS. Always taking the easy way out! HA HA
      Easy? Humm, let me think about how many times I've adjusted the valves, replaced the lifters, etc. Maybe there's another word.....
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      Easy? Humm, let me think about how many times I've adjusted the valves, replaced the lifters, etc. Maybe there's another word.....
      You've had to do this on your LS motor? I thought you just torqued the rockers down and went lol?

BTW Carl, since you are skipping out on the track day this weekend, what about the 5/15 date?
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      I hear you loud and clear.
      Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Chad-1stGen View Post
      You've had to do this on your LS motor? I thought you just torqued the rockers down and went lol?

BTW Carl, since you are skipping out on the track day this weekend, what about the 5/15 date?
      I've forgotten what it looks like under the valve covers.

Can't make it on the 15th. Work commitments. Yuck.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

i'm paying close attention to all you guys are saying here and need to figure a lot of things out, new heads, cam and such, if anyone has some build specs to share that would be cool, i'm thinking of building a 522 because i have a friend with a rotating assy for sale that consists of a kryptonite crank carillo H beam rods and JE pistons.
      if the wind calms down a may start preping to pull the engine today!
      RSK68
      Rick Klein

I definitely would not build my new engine due to a deal on a rotating assmbly... unless it was free maybe... great parts it sounds like, but were you considering that 522 combo before the deal? If you plan to keep flogging it on tracks, I would be hard pressed to not go LS... it just makes sense.. But don't get me wrong I much prefer the sound and simplicity of my gen 1 solid roller 377... but if she ever goes kaboom... I think an LS is the obvious choice based on intended usage, maintenance, and streetable power potential.
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

Flash,
      Nothing is cast in stone yet! the LS seems like the smart choice but would be a lot more work for me, the BB is just a drop in for me, as for the 522 it came up in a conversation with a friend of mine, he just happened to have the parts from a build he stoped on.

Let me pose this question to all following,

lets say i have $15K for a new engine and want BB power, what would you build?
      RSK68
      Rick Klein

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com