Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

1967 Mustang Coupe : Building A Faster Horse

Well I started of wanting to build a pro touring 69 Camaro but I started looking at the Muatang as a possible option as they are more abundant, more economical to build and lots of aftermarket support.

Long story short me and my father drove 5 hours to Yakima, Washington to look at a 68 V6 Mustang that turned out to be a rust bucket. So we went for lunch and while cruising local craigslist we found a garage sale advertising a 67 Mustang Coupe sporting original numbers matching 289. Asking price $2500. Solid floors, solid trunk, solid quarters and no rust in the wheel wells. We quickly made a deal to pick it up for $2400 since my father refuses to ever pay full asking price for anything.

We we loaded it onto a uhaul car carrier and towed it to my fathers place in Maple Falls, Washington to wait the 72 hour US customs period before bringing it back. Proceeded to get a butt raping by a US broker which is mandatory now then 3 days later dragged it home yesterday.

The plan?

im not 100% sure yet other than it looks like I may be going TCI IFS up front and TCI 4 link out back. I am hoping they will cut me a bit of a deal if I buy a complete setup front and rear.

Theres a a large dent in the drivers quarter I have to deal with but that's a very small problem to have as long as there isn't any cancer holes in the floors when the carpet comes up. Looks like new from the bottom.

Drivetrain? Well I know it's going to be a 5 or 6 speed manual. Engine I haven't decided wth yet. Tossing every idea around from a 3.5L Ecoboost, Coyote motor or the original 289 in it with EFI and a bunch of other trick engine parts like aluminum heads and cam. I would really like something with over 400+ HP and around 375+ lb/ft of torque.

Open in to suggestions and ideas.

Country Flag: United States
      doubt they give a package deal. their prices aren't really negotiable. i have their MII front end and their 3 link rear. i love their stuff, but if I were to do it over again i would either use MTF front section or do a full chassis swap
      Justin Hocking
      67 Mustang Coupe to Fastback swap
      TCI front and rear
      Detroit Mini Tub

Future coyote

Country Flag: United States
      The 3.5 ecoboost option is super cool. There's another guy on the forum putting a 3.5 ecoboost in a '65 Mustang
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Ecoboost-3-5L

If you stick with a Windsor motor you might look at a roller 331 or 347 stroker. 450HP/TQ is pretty easily achieved with heads/intake/cam

Good luck, looks like a great project!

Country Flag: Australia
      Looks like a great project. Good luck.
      I have the TCI front suspension in my 67 Coupe project and it fits great. Don't know how it drive yet, still in progress.
      Save as much old metal as you can, new panels are a terrible fit, believe me i have learned the hard way.
      I have a Chassis works rear end which looks real nice and again easy to install.
      Take a look at my progress to avoid the many mistakes we all make on projects.

Quote Originally Posted by justin51986 View Post
      doubt they give a package deal. their prices aren't really negotiable. i have their MII front end and their 3 link rear. i love their stuff, but if I were to do it over again i would either use MTF front section or do a full chassis swap
      If I was to ever actually go full chassis it would probably be a Roadster Shop chassis. However that's a bit too much for this particular project. Maybe the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by 1tuff68 View Post
      The 3.5 ecoboost option is super cool. There's another guy on the forum putting a 3.5 ecoboost in a '65 Mustang
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...-Ecoboost-3-5L

If you stick with a Windsor motor you might look at a roller 331 or 347 stroker. 450HP/TQ is pretty easily achieved with heads/intake/cam

Good luck, looks like a great project!
      I'm evening considering a 427 SBF. Whatever I end up going with will almost certainly have EFI on it.

Quote Originally Posted by craigF View Post
      Looks like a great project. Good luck.
      I have the TCI front suspension in my 67 Coupe project and it fits great. Don't know how it drive yet, still in progress.
      Save as much old metal as you can, new panels are a terrible fit, believe me i have learned the hard way.
      I have a Chassis works rear end which looks real nice and again easy to install.
      Take a look at my progress to avoid the many mistakes we all make on projects.
      I'm pretty set on the TCI suspension as they have a long history or building solid suspension systems. Yesterday I stripped out the carpet as it smelled of urine. Unfortunately my solid floor that looked factory new from the bottom isn't so solid once the carpet was removed and I will probably end up doing a complete floor pan now.

Spent most of my day today working on a large sent in the side of the drivers rear quarter. I'm also working on one smaller dent on the rear quarter below the headlight. I sure wish I could go back in time and prevent whoever it was that put these dents in. Ruined what would have been perfect exterior panels on this Mustang.

Well my plans have changed rapidly as is such with most cars you find " surprises ". I will be doing floors as once the carpet was removed they were found to be quite rusty with a few holes in the front and back. My solid drivers side quarter has taken a hit and we thought we could pull the dent no problem however it was creased in three spots and the outer wheelwell was pushed outwards. We also found filler from a previous " repaired " dent in the drivers quarter panel.

So now I am replacing the entire quarter panel with a new Dynacorn OEM panel.

I was also at the Seattle Aut Swap Meet in Monroe, Washington a couple weeks ago. Picked up most of my sheet metal from a vendor there called Ricks Pony Parts. Also picked up some original bumpers that were rechromed from a chrome vendor at the swap meet.

Side note. I definitely won't be using the original 289 that came with the car. I crawled under the car to take a look at the engine and found a hole about 1" punched outward on the oil pan.

Picked up this old turd and dropped it off at the machine shop to transform into some horsepower for my project.

**Seems Photobucket is having issues**

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com