Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
      Very cool project.

Quote Originally Posted by Jims78elky View Post
      Here is a picture of the Holley LS Retro-fit oil pan I purchased for my LS3 conversion, its really a nice heavy duty pan, I got it for just over $400.00 and I think I'll be happy with it. it comes with the baffle plate and the oil pick up tube.
      Is this pan for sale yet? I couldn't find it. It seems to be about the same price as the MAST pan. Either cast pan better than the other?
      Shannon

67 Camaro - Finally getting to BUILD it.

Camaro Build -> HERE

Our Drag boat blog and videos HERE

Country Flag: United States
      Finally (I know), the motor is in the garage:

Did some tinkering around with the Trans Dapt 1" set back adapter plates.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

The Trailblazer oil pan is quite the strange piece.

This hole in the pan is cast into it for the front axle to go through.

These tubes cross from the normal position of the oil filter on standard small blocks, to the opposite side near the middle where the filter is located on the Trailblazer.

I also thought it was strange that the oil pump has 2 threaded holes for the flange to bolt to:

It is hard to see both holes, because I put the bolt that holds the pickup tube back in there so I didn't loose it.
      But the pickup tube only has one hole:

So I am going to make a flange to go over top of the existing ones, to put equal pressure on both sides. I had read stories of people getting the tube in cocked & not get a good seal, so then air gets in.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      I have been debating on the oil pan, was leaning towards the CTS-V pan for some extra ground clearance over the GM musclecar pan. Gonna run about $250, but then I am also debating the stamped steel Autokraft pan. It has road race style baffles, holds 5.5 qts, costs $400. I better make up my mind now, I don't want to go one route & then pull the motor back out to change the pan.

Autokraft pan:

I had priced out the cts pan and related parts for under 190 from Gmpartsdirect.com about a month ago. i doubt the prices have changed

Agreed, GMPartsdirect.com has good prices on parts, my problem with them is the shipping is crazy.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Sam - checkout Paceparts.com - they are a Pontiac dealership in Ohio - prices are good and they don't bone you on shipping.

Gmpartsdirect is a Chevy dealership up near Raleigh I think - I'll never shop there again after getting charged $30 shipping for 6 flywheel bolts!
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

Bonecrusher - Agreed. I have purchased some stuff from Pace before. I needed a stud & cap for my LT1 composite valve covers. Weird 2 piece bolt setup. Local dealership wanted to charge me $15 for one stud, & like $20 for the cap/head. Found them from Pace for like $8 total including shipping.

Wow just searched the net for these parts. The cap, $22 from Ecklers for one cap.

And $9 for the stud:
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

fvgbhnjm

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamNKC View Post
      Very cool project.

Is this pan for sale yet? I couldn't find it. It seems to be about the same price as the MAST pan. Either cast pan better than the other?
      Yes it is...got mine from Summit Racing $430.00 But you might want to shop around perhaps for a little better price...great pan though..I love it, I don't think the MAST pan is a bad pan to use,its actually very nice, I went with this Holley pan for the fact that it fits my 78 El Camino's chassis with no modifications,there is not allot of retro LS parts available for the late model El Camino's, but Holley makes a nice bunch of installation parts,including headers to make the swap over to LS easy...I hope..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-302-1/

Quote Originally Posted by Samckitt View Post
      Finally (I know), the motor is in the garage:

Did some tinkering around with the Trans Dapt 1" set back adapter plates.

Looks awesome!

How much were the Trans Dapt engine adapter plates? And any reason in particular that you ordered them 1" set back? D you have to for a manual tranny? or do you just need the extra 1" of space.

Clean engine BTW when you took of the oil pan how did the bottom end look? And do you think you can use that accessory drive set up on the Monte?...would be nice if you could.

I was thinking of using this intake for my LS3 after reading that it works well with the L92 or LS3 heads..anybody have a opinion on this...it does look bad azz I have to say.

http://www.holley.com/300-116.asp
      Last edited by Jims78elky; 03-31-2011 at 05:12 AM. Reason: added link

How much were the Trans Dapt engine adapter plates? And any reason in particular that you ordered them 1" set back? D you have to for a manual tranny? or do you just need the extra 1" of space.

Clean engine BTW when you took of the oil pan how did the bottom end look? And do you think you can use that accessory drive set up on the Monte?...would be nice if you could.
      Seems like the plates were around $65 shipped from Summit.

I went with the 1" set back because I had read somewhere to use them & then I can use Pacesetter F body LS headers without problem. Those headers uncoated are like $250. Plus the tranny I want has the shifter 3" farther forward from where mine is now, so I was trying to get it back to that location. Because it fit me perfectly with my long legs & seat all the way back. I don't want to use a funky curved shifter.

I didn't take the windage tray off, so I didnt see the crank or ends of the rods.

Don't know yet if I am going to use the accessory drive. I think it might be too tall. Would prefer to use the C5 Vette alt & PS pumps & bracket & space them out to match the location of the crank & waterpump pulley.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

I was thinking of using this intake for my LS3 after reading that it works well with the L92 or LS3 heads..anybody have a opinion on this...it does look bad azz I have to say.

http://www.holley.com/300-116.asp
      Yes this thing looks cool, but I seriously doubt it will fit under the Camino hood.

Scot
      86 Monte SS

I read something the other day when I was searching for some C5 Vette Alt & PS & bracket and seen something that said uses traditional alternator not clutch type. That got me to thinking, because on the Trailblazer harness on the negative cable there is some electronic gizmo that surrounds the cable & then has a connector to it for the harness. I thought it looked like a current measuring sensor. So I took the belt off & discovered that the pulley on the alternator is similar to that of the AC compressor, except not free spinning like it is. It will turn the rotor of the Alt, but then if you hold the pulley & stop it from turning, the rotor will continue for a little bit. So putting 2 & 2 together, I am assuming that locks completely when a lot of current is required of the electrical system, but lets it free spin to reduce drag on the motor.

So how am I going to incorporate that into the electrical system?
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

I found some info that the pulley on the alternator isn't really a clutch like the AC like I originally thought. But is there to reduce belt & tensioner oscillation.

See vid for more info:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EXYP1CmL9Q
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

I have an old lt1 and trans. that I have had sitting around for awhile. Thought about putting it in my old camaro, but came across your project and was curious why you decided to ditch your lt1????

Quote Originally Posted by claust View Post
      I have an old lt1 and trans. that I have had sitting around for awhile. Thought about putting it in my old camaro, but came across your project and was curious why you decided to ditch your lt1????
      Because of the 3 Bs, Bigger, Badder, Better. Nothing against the LT1, that thing ran great & very strong. Was a great motor. I just decided to go along with everyone else who was putting LS series motors in everything. I wanted an LS when I went with the LT.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Quote Originally Posted by SicMonte View Post
      hmmm......would that work with a gen 1 sbc? pm me bro.
      All you need is the Centerforce flywheel to adapt the 93-97 T-56 to 2-piece RMS. (#700107). LT1 bellhousing bolts right up & this flywheel allows you to run LT1 clutch setup. Scot's only about 4 -4.5 hours from you.

Here's the LT1 in it's new home:

Looking forward to following the build Scot.
      Ed Cooney
      '96 Buick Roadmaster Estate Wagon, LT1/4L60, full bolt-ons & Solomon's tune, 18" Ridler wheels, lowered with Belltech springs

‘70 Buick Skylark Convertible project w/ GN drivetrain

'91 Formula, pending track day build

Sorry haven't done much lately on the project. Decided I was going to mount the coils somewhere other than on the valve covers, so I took one of the covers & cut off the posts where the coil brackets mount to. Unfortunately the threaded holes for the coil brackets goes below the cover surface. So I am going to have to find someone to TIG the holes to fill them in, or fill with something else.

I also bought another set of covers just in case I F%$# something up. They were already painted black.

Scot
      86 Monte SS

I like the new valve covers,are you gonna change that intake or use it?

Gonna see if the truck intake works first, if it won't clear the hood (or if it is too UGLY), I will go with a car intake.

As for the valve covers. Once I get them smooth I will probably paint them black.
      Scot
      86 Monte SS

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com