Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

66 GT350H clone W/2011 Coyote 5.0 Conversion Project

I sold my 67Gt500 w/04 Cobra motor clone, and picked up this clean 66GT350H Clone that has a Heidts front end, 9", and 4 wheel disks already installed. I decided to go with a new 2011 5.0 crate motor and TKO600. First pics were "as bought" along progress pictures.

Name:  izzo65 020.jpg
Views: 1391
Size:  152.9 KBName:  DSC04335.JPG
Views: 1001
Size:  138.3 KBName:  3ma3o23p05T05Z65P3aa8e096b654efc51ea3.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  8.7 KBName:  DSC04327.JPG
Views: 1384
Size:  143.8 KBName:  izzo65 001.jpg
Views: 2025
Size:  108.5 KB

Initial Start Up

Dyno Run

Un-tuned dyno sheet

Very cool!! I'v be waiting to see someone put the new 5.0 in a pro-touring car. how do you like it?
      Vinnie Allegretta
      A Winner Never Quits...A Quitter Never Wins
      www.fquick.com/vinz68

As of now, we are waiting on a tuning solution since the provided Motorsport tuned ECU doesnt have a code my tuner needs. All of the interior panels have been refurbished and are back in the car. ECU is mounted discreetly under the hood in an insulated "box" we fabbed for it. The control box and fuses is mounted behind the modified glove box. The interior looks factory original with all gauges functioning as stock. We are figuring out a gremlin in the brake system, then alignment, hopefully final tuning then we can go to some cosmetic work. Aluminum intake tube goes for polishing, need some minor underhood touch ups, then a good wet sand and buff.

More pics to come...

Have really no road time on it, but acceleration and response seems incredible

Country Flag: United States
      Hey Tom. Great project. What kind of power did that engine make? What do these crate engines go for?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      GM High-Tech Performance feature
      My YouTube Channel Please Subscribe!
      Instagram @projectgattago
      Dr. EFI
      I deliver what EFI promises.
      Remote Holley EFI tuning.
      Please get in touch if I can be of service.

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

That is Greatness!! sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
      Hey Tom. Great project. What kind of power did that engine make? What do these crate engines go for?

Andrew
      Made just under 400 to the wheels. The Dyno sheet is posted above. Kurgan Motorsports is working on tweaking the supplied tune for us. The car is light, so it should fly.

They can be purchased retail for around $6500. The harness, computer and DBW pedal is another $1200 or so. YOu need to buy the alternator kit for $140, and we opted for the $125 engine cover. Motorsport is supposed to release a conventional power steering pump soon, so that will be added when available.

awesome build!

Is it just me or are all the pictures a red X? The videos work, nice build.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
      Made just under 400 to the wheels. The Dyno sheet is posted above. Kurgan Motorsports is working on tweaking the supplied tune for us. The car is light, so it should fly.

They can be purchased retail for around $6500. The harness, computer and DBW pedal is another $1200 or so. YOu need to buy the alternator kit for $140, and we opted for the $125 engine cover. Motorsport is supposed to release a conventional power steering pump soon, so that will be added when available.
      The price and power seem to be very much inline with the LS3 offering from GM. It's cool that this engine makes similar power with 1.2L less displacement. I also poked around and found that the weight is about 440 pounds. No bad, considering the giant heads.

Does the oilpan that came with the engine work in the early Mustangs? If not, what did you use?

Also, does someone make a bellhousing to use a TKO, T56, or other transmissions?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets." ~ Her

Great project. Hope to see more after its tuned.
      Skip

The car has a Heidts front end, which would require a rear sump pan, and that is what the crate motor comes with. We notched the front but later decided to raise the motor mounts and use offset rack mounts to get clearance. We had to modify 1 tube on each side of the included headers. I believe the 64-66 frame rails, along with tunnel clearance, isnt as great as the 67+ cars.

I found a TKO on Craigslist that in included a mod-motor Lakewood bellhousing, so that is what we used.

How soon until this motor has a set of turbos connected to it?

Haha....we'll see.

Any updates on this project?

Andrew
      1970 GTO Version 3.0
      1967 Cougar build
      Dr. EFI

Actually YES. The car is together, working on getting the "bolt on" power steering kit from Sean Hyland modified and working, and also trying to figure out the programming with help from Kurgan Motorsports. We also narrowed the rearend 2 inches overall, so the tires tuck up a little nicer, as well as added a Baer rear brake kit. I will get some pictures up soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com