Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Folks, it’s shiny……. It took a huge effort to get to this stage as I know a lot of you know. The color came out phenomenal and the clear makes this thing look like a show car. Keep in mind that some of the pictures were taken just after we finished painting for the day and the clear wasn’t even dry so it hadn’t finished flattening out and getting it’s gloss. I can’t go a day right now without just peeking at the car and touching it. I added a bunch of pictures just to show the whole thing off as I’m really proud of the outcome. Soon the trim and other small pieces will be getting added but I’m just happy to show this thing off for now, enjoy
      Attached Images Attached Images                            
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Country Flag: Finland
      Looking sweet ❤️
      1970 1/2 Chevelle Convertible Twin Turbo SBC+4L80e +M9 , ridetech air suspension, custom frame,
      1968 Dodge Charger 572 all aluminum Hemi now with single turbo ,4L80e, dana60, XV-motorsports level II with some updates.

Looks awesome. It really motivates you when you finally get color on it. Congrats cant wait to see it with all the trim.

Glad I checked back! I thought for sure this was going to be another dumped project. It's awesome you kept with it and finished it! Looks great, can't wait to see the front end.
      1951 Ford F1, 1967 RS Camaro, 1979 Firebird Formula, 1979 Trans Am/LS swap.

Congrats! Awesome color!

Thanks for the replies, glad you all liked it so far. I love the color and can’t wait to see it in the sun! Still waiting on a lot of pieces to get done at the powder coater. All the trim is going to be gloss black and I think it will go great with the build. I’ve never really stopped working on this thing. Just stopped taking pictures and updating the thread for a while since honestly body work is so boring, long and tedious. I promise as long as I’m still here, I’ll keep working on this to get it done….. to some degree. I just got my Aim MXG digital dash for it so that will start to go in soon as well
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Looks great. You’ve come a long way since you were struggling with the flares. Can’t wait to see more.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I agree with everyone else, can't wait to see more pictures! Especially when it's out in the sun.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

That thing looks freaking in sick. I love it.
      TANKMASTERJ
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...touring-Camaro
      Jasons Toys
      67 Camaro White Lightning LMR LS7 powered, Speed tech Front and Rear.
      2023 Rapid Blue ZL1 the Blue Devil
      2000 HD Softail
      1989 CBR Hurricane anniversary edition

Nice! way to stick with it. Looking good.

Just a word of advice from my experience with flaring fenders. get some PPF on the front sides for those rear flares before you drive it. you will regret it if you don't. Even if you have mudflaps on the front, those flares are going to catch every single thing that comes off those front tires. It will be worse if you are running sticky tires.
      Zach

1970 Mach 1 build - Half-Breed (pro-touring.com)

awesome car! Looks like a buch of work went into this project! Did you get to drive it any yet?

Country Flag: Netherlands
      WOW ! I remember when you started this build looooong ago. It has the old rally car vibe ( like the Audi UR Quattro) with those fenders.

I like it :-)
      1st 2nd
      Pro-Touring outside the USA !
      Martin's Camaro Page

It's really coming together. Keep the updates flowing.
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Work on this thing has still never stopped but I was disappointed I missed a deadline for it last August so I took a bit of a break from posting. I was able to get lots of trim on and all the glass in place. In late September I even took it up and down the street once just to say I did it

On to more recent events. One take away from that drive is that power steering would be great since I really can’t turn the wheel sitting still with those 315 front tires. Hydraulic systems were out of the question so electric it is. A 2002 Saturn Vue power box and some items from epowersteering.com later and we are just about ready to go back in. Hoping I can actually fit this thing back in place….

The steering column is all aluminum which is cool, but I can’t weld that. Still need to figure out where to clock the motor and have the bracket welded on

Last recent development is that if I had to point to a weak point in the whole car, it would be the NP147 transfer case I setup. They are from late 90’s jeep grand Cherokees, the case isn’t reinforced anywhere and the chain is only an inch wide. The trans is built proof, should be good for 1000hp and I doubt the transfer case would live with half of that. So….. back to the drawing board (wallet). A few days of googling shows that an early 2000’s Escalade NP149 transfer case can live in 1500+ hp applications with some mods. Only bad news is they only got a 1.25 inch wide chain. 1.5 inchers can be found in many HD applications, just need to try to fit it here. Also they come with a 27 spline input only, but a custom made 32 spline input is available. Brought home a case and now just need to fill it with goodness

That’s where I am right now. I’m going to hunt around for a bit and see if I can come up with any OEM way to give it a 32 spline input and try to make a 1.5 inch wide chain fit.
      Steve

Nice updates! Could you share a little more about the Vue EPS and how you attached it inline with your column? I see the flange on the upper side of the column, but the lower section didn't appear to have anything that bolted to it. Curious how you attached it to your column.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD

Somehow I missed the painted pics. July was kind of a blur- being pushed out of a job and date of my father's remembrance.

Always a huge fan of this- my dream build is a compact version of this- a 253cid half a Boss 429 in a 95inch wheelbase using an AMC Eagle transfer case and a G-force 5speed. Have acquired most off of thos parts, but feeling sluggish, and worried about work/income.

BTW, on a lighter note- what did they do to the output driveshaft on the transfer case? Looks twisted off? Not even cutting torched. ha

Red Bull 1968 Charger AWD Hemi 6 speed

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Nice updates! Could you share a little more about the Vue EPS and how you attached it inline with your column? I see the flange on the upper side of the column, but the lower section didn't appear to have anything that bolted to it. Curious how you attached it to your column.
      Sure, so the unit itself comes from a 2002-07 Saturn Vue or 2005-06 Chevy Equinox. I got mine as just the power steering assembly for $50 from a local scrap yard. Some times they are only sold attached to the whole steering column. To run it, I’m using a ‘Bruno box’, linked here

https://epowersteering.com/purchase/...-equinox-units

What I liked most about the setup is that I can adjust the amount of assist with a dial. I really only want assist while stationary. From what I read, the Prius units just default to full assist since there isn’t a controller that I could adjust the assist level.

All the parts I got are from epowersteering.com. He has a good bit of resources on the site to get you up and running. After talking to him, it was simple to add the unit to my column. The factory input is a long section of strange dimension/spline shaft so he offers a stub shaft. You just cut off that input where you’d like and weld on the stub. Then weld on a coupler to the column shaft. In my case it was a 3/4 DD shaft. Then in the output, pick up a 16.5 mm coupler and that gets welded to the output shaft of the steering column. The end of the column housing just slips back on and I’ll retain that with the firewall support bearing. The last piece is the input support. It bolts to the input of the power steering box and I trimmed to to the length I wanted and tacked on the flange for now. Might end up having to move the box further up the column so we’ll have to see how it ends up.

The section of shaft on the top left is what I cut off of the power steering box

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by iadr View Post
      Somehow I missed the painted pics. July was kind of a blur- being pushed out of a job and date of my father's remembrance.

Always a huge fan of this- my dream build is a compact version of this- a 253cid half a Boss 429 in a 95inch wheelbase using an AMC Eagle transfer case and a G-force 5speed. Have acquired most off of thos parts, but feeling sluggish, and worried about work/income.

BTW, on a lighter note- what did they do to the output driveshaft on the transfer case? Looks twisted off? Not even cutting torched. ha
      Sorry to hear about the rough patch buddy. That build sounds interesting! What do you think you’d put it into?

I agree on that rear driveshaft yoke lol. I didn’t have any other output yokes that would match the transfer case. Those shafts are really beefy!! Had to buy the whole front shaft and that rear yoke from the scrap yard. The rear shaft was aluminum. Looks like it got cut off with a dull beaver lol!
      Steve

Red Bull 1968 Charger AWD Hemi 6 speed

I think I forgot to mention that I did end up changing the rear axle. I know it’s an unpopular opinion but I’ve always preferred wheels with a flush center. The deep dish look isn’t for me. This way I’m also running the same wheels and tires on the front and rear. I got a custom 9 inch from speedway engineering last summer. It’s their mod light full floater built to 72 inches wide. It went in easy once I built all the mounts to match the old unit.

Another really cool thing I was able to throw at it was a pair of brembo electric parking brake calipers. These came from a wrecking yard off a newer Aston Martin Vantage. Found em on eBay for actually a really good price. I bought them individually but am at $350 for the pair. I looked a lot into cable operated pieces but really didn’t want to deal with all the cables. These things are super simple. Two wires, 12 volts. Hook em up one way and they clamp down. Reverse it and they release. Thankfully my brother is an electrical engineer and said he can setup an arduino to run em and I’ll have a momentary switch to push. Hit it and it’ll clamp down until a predetermined amp draw. Hit it again and they will release.

Steve

I like that parking brake. Very nice.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Page 33 of 36 FirstFirst ... 23 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com