Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      No worries and I completely agree with your thoughts. All I really wanted to do was to cover the tires as much as I could. The factory wheel opening are a lot bigger than I wanted. I'm guessing they did it more for their styling and I'm sure it didn't hurt when guys were putting 33 inch drag slicks on em. The first thoughts were to just add sheet metal right into the inside of the well either flush with the top of the lip or maybe just sticking out. Then mold that into the quarter, just as you mentioned. Only difference is that way I wouldn't mess with the inner wheel well. Keeping that stock opening shape however kept the tire coverage too far away for my liking. This shape and approach better covers the tire from airflow and also more closely matches what I did on the front end. Chevy and Ford mostly seemed to have more of a rounded wheel well opening and I think makes it easier to extend without changing the shape too much.
      Last edited by Motorcitydak; 01-17-2019 at 05:41 PM.
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Sorry you don't like it 76, but I want those tires covered.

The areas around the aerocatches on the trunk lid needed to be reinforced since now there was just flat sheet metal failing to do the job of holding the trunk lid securely closed. A few small holes got poked in the top and bottom. Some 1/8 rod was then welded to the top and bottom

Then smoothed out. I think I'll bring the lid somewhere to get blasted on the bottom side, no idea how else I could strip that thing without using chemicals which I don't want to use

The welds on the flares got sanded smooth too. It's worth adding that I still have not trimmed the bottom to where they will be. I'll also use some all metal filler to smooth the transition from the quarter to the flare.

Last edited by Motorcitydak; 02-07-2019 at 03:02 PM.
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I see where you're trying to go, but it's not working. It's way too low on the body lines, coming in flush at the top looks out of place, and the edges need to start tapering into the body lines. Something more like this: Name:  1968-Dodge-Super-Charger-Hellephant-0-Hero.jpg
Views: 1640
Size:  231.8 KB
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

I saw that car and of course it looks really good! I would try to build something like that except that I like how the front end looks that I have already. I tried to make it similar on the rear, didn't want to build to different kinds of flares. I'm still not opposed to trying again tho. I agree tho that it does look horrible in the pictures, I really don't like how it looks in the ones I've shown. It's not too bad in real life tho. I have some other things to work on with the car and am going to keep mulling this one over. Honestly I was trying to cover the tires with the smallest flare I could do, making it hopefully minimally noticable. Just with how the front end is, the rear needs something

This one I don't think looks too bad at all

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
      I saw that car and of course it looks really good! I would try to build something like that except that I like how the front end looks that I have already. I tried to make it similar on the rear, didn't want to build to different kinds of flares. I'm still not opposed to trying again tho. I agree tho that it does look horrible in the pictures, I really don't like how it looks in the ones I've shown. It's not too bad in real life tho. I have some other things to work on with the car and am going to keep mulling this one over. Honestly I was trying to cover the tires with the smallest flare I could do, making it hopefully minimally noticable. Just with how the front end is, the rear needs something

It kinda reminds me of those filters on Instagram where people swap faces with someone with a small face. I like the front, but the rear just looks out of place. It definitely needs to come up higher and be a little bigger.

If you're saying "It doesn't look too bad in real life," it sounds like you aren't satisfied with it either. In the end, it's your car, but you've put so much work into this thing so far, might as well go all the way until you're really happy with it.

Jay

Might be useful to hire a rendering artist to develop a cohesive solution that flows front to rear.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Country Flag: Canada
      Ugh....
      1971 chevelle LSA 700hp -

Okay, here's my 0.02 on this.

First off, I like your build and ideas, but I feel like some of the style execution just feels a little "off". Your front widebody has a bit of a Trans Am (race series, not Pontiac) vibe, maybe a little bit of DTM/touring car box fender look. That's a good thing. Personally I'd square it off a little more as your rounded lines are a bit of contrast to the Chargers slightly more angular front, but I think it could work.

The rear is just out of scale. It looks sort of like the spats on a Trans Am (Pontiac, not race series), but not quite "right" there either. If you mimic the front design to the rear, I feel like it could flow a lot nicer. Again, if I was designing it (I'm not, it's your car, do as you wish) I'd square the fronts off a little on the top with a little ledge a la E30 M3, then mirror it on the rear, or at the least mirror the current front look on the rear.

Anyway, do as you wish, just throwing some constructive criticism and my unrequested opinion, haha. I have round tail lights on a '65 Mustang, so I hear plenty of unasked for opinions on how terrible a human being I am for desecrating things myself, LOL.
      1988 Mazda RX7 - Forged LS/T56, 76mm turbo, ProEFI, Ford 8.8 - Sold
      1965 Mustang Coupe - TT Coyote, TR6060, Haltech, big brakes, updated suspension.
      2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage - Full bolt-ons
      2016 BMW 428iX GranSport - Stock...ish.

Thanks for the comments folks. I do like how the front end came out in one shot and figured I could pull that off in the rear, unfortunately that didn't happen even with round two. Hopefully third time will be the charm. Don, I had thought about having a rendering done before and this seems like a good reason to follow thru. I'll start shopping around and see what someone with don't creative skills can do. Thankfully with the way I built these flares, they will not be difficult to remove. Start tuned tho, I have more progress coming and will revise this rear end
      Steve

Please let me know of any contacts you guys have for renderings. Once we get the back end figured out, I'll probably have to push the rear wheels out to fill them out but o well. I'll need custom wheels or a wider rear axle
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
      Please let me know of any contacts you guys have for renderings. Once we get the back end figured out, I'll probably have to push the rear wheels out to fill them out but o well. I'll need custom wheels or a wider rear axle
      This forum member does renderings:

https://www.pro-touring.com/members/28279-SRD-art

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Quote Originally Posted by dhutton View Post
      This forum member does renderings:

https://www.pro-touring.com/members/28279-SRD-art

Don
      I second that one. Ben at SRD Art is good.

Thanks guys, sent him a pm Saturday and waiting to hear
      Steve

Hey Steve, thanks for the opportunity to work with you on this super cool and unique build. I'm looking forward to it!
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

Thanks Ben, I'm really looking forward to this!

To keep progress going, I started doing some interior work. The center console and door panels can get made up while we figure out the exterior design. Started with the console, what I'd like is a panel over the dog house, cup holders big enough for a 30oz mug and a comfortable arm rest. Got the skeleton started with some steel bar, I'd like to see this painted body color with the sheet panels covered with some foam backed suede or something. If course still need to add the cup holders and arm rest

Steve

Hey Don and Bill- Thanks for the shout out! When a referral turns into work for me I like to pay back those that support my work with either a free T-shirt or a $25 credit towards artwork services, so PM sent, let me know, and thanks again! Bill I hit you up on FB. :D

Sorry to slightly hijack the thread Steve, back to our regular program of insanely cool Charger builds. ;)
      -Ben, Your friendly neighborhood Rendering dude

SRD on Facebook

79 Cutlass wagon build

I commend you on your work and efforts so far. I really like some of the ideas and ingenuity you've displayed in this build. You obviously have a great passion for this car and I hope the final product is everything you want it to be. I have a lot of skill as a mechanic and interest in fabrication. I have zero skill in fabrication, at all. I have trolled this site for many years and seen a lot of projects come together. The people here seem to really care about other's projects and have tons of knowledge to share. Please take advantage of any advice or information they share.

Thanks a lot Titan, I appreciate any feedback as it is always helpful, good or bad. I think it's fair to say this car has come way too far to not get on the road some day soon (ish). I was able to really commit to building it the way a wanted about six years ago when I bought my lotus. That filled my needs for a fun car to drive and hit the tracks with. That said I could take my time here and make just what I saw in my head. I also want to stress I am not rich or well off by any measure, I'm fact my income is pretty much the national average. I don't want anyone seeing this to think that or that they could not accomplish something similar or even cooler!

As for the 'skills', it's all just been trial and error. I took my Xmas money at 17, bought a cheap welder from Sears and made what can only be said are the worst welds in the world. All this time tho I've kept two things in mind; no one cares as much as you do about whatever you are doing and the only reason something doesn't exist in this awesome world is that no one has made it yet. There are no limits here any more, just things that are really hard or just haven't been figured out yet.

If I was starting from day 0 right now, I would more than likely be making this car all electric and still AWD. Yes it would be hard and expensive but very fun and different while acknowledging the future.

I got started in modified cars with my 4x4 Dakota and spent way too much time on pirate 4x4. Those guys will be ruthless on hack stuff if you don't listen to sound advice. However there is no idea too crazy if it is being done properly as it does bring but expand the hobby. I then carried that world over to this car. RED has been done to death. It would never stand out but add some more creativity and you'll have a true one off that will get others minds going.

Keep trolling this and other sites, you will gain from everything you see. Also if you can start to pick up whatever tools you can accommodate and just start using them. It doesn't matter what you make, just build something and then next time try to top it. Good luck and remember we are all here to help each other
      Steve

Still plugging away at the center console right now. I want to try to fit two cup holders in here. Ideally two big enough for these new 30oz tumblers everyone has. I also have a cool idea for mounting a radio in here, that should come out pretty cool. The longer I'm building this car, the more nicer things I want on it. At first I had not planned for any audio, then starting thinking maybe just an iPod connected to an amp and speakers hense the lack of space saved for a regular head unit. Well, times have changed and so must the plans. Anyway here is the latest work where I've been adding an arm rest that will have a hinged lid and the pan for all my car needs, mostly sunglasses and snacks

The pan will mount flush with the top of the upper bar giving me about a half inch under it to run some wires and things to the back. If you guys know of a good way to latch the front of the cover, let me know. I was thinking maybe just a magnet? But I have some electronics not too far away, not sure if they will cause any issues
      Last edited by Motorcitydak; 02-28-2019 at 03:49 PM.
      Steve

Page 28 of 36 FirstFirst ... 18 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com