Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast
      This is a garbage sketch I did on my phone quickly. But you get the idea. The top portion of the current rendition is really too flat IMO.

1951 Ford F1, 1967 RS Camaro, 1979 Firebird Formula, 1979 Trans Am/LS swap.

Country Flag: United States
      iadr, I hear you there. Ideal vs necessary for function are usually at odds. Really the only way to have a flush offset in the front is to have the tire fully exposed and the wheel well opening a circle, following closely the edge of the tire. My design called for the factory shaped openings and the top portion of the tires to be covered.

Ben came up with the design to integrate lines from the bumper into the front portion of the fenders. I thought it looked awesome, it requires mods to the bumper so that is still to come. The front tires did get moved about two inches forward for the reason you mentioned and to give more room under the hood for the drive train. I’m happy with how that area came out.

FormTA, I see what you are thinking there. Ben and I wanted to keep the top of the flares relatively flat to match the top of the oe fenders and quarters. To the rear of the front fender is also where the angry bull graphics that Ben designed are going. In the end, we are really happy with how the design came out, I’m just trying to stay true to it and bring it to life. I think that both the front and rear flares now do that, they just do not match each other so I’m still unsure if I’ll have to change the rears to match.
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Yuk , my eyes

Quote Originally Posted by FormTA View Post
      This is a garbage sketch I did on my phone quickly. But you get the idea. The top portion of the current rendition I really to flat IMO.
      Don't mean to be an ******* but
      That's really terrible what you have done , in my opinion , to a classic charger . Some one needs to take your tools away.
      Don't mean to be an ******* but
      That's really terrible what you have done , in my opinion , to a classic charger . Some one needs to take your tools away.

No worries bee, this build isn’t for everyone but neither is this website. Thanks for voicing your opinion tho. I never liked the pro-stock cars that were gutted and only had fiberglass body work all around that fit and looked terrible with a barely there tube chassis that handles like a wet rag and are very dangerous on the road and only designed for a 1/4 mile. That’s why I don’t spend any time around those things our checking them out online. Mopar gave us over 100,000 of these cars and nearly every single other one has not changed much in the last 50 years, besides rusting way. My car spent over a decade rotting under a tarp in a back yard before I got it. I’ll keep all my tools and keep buying more to progress my hobby as I see fit. Others intent on a factory restoration will do the same. I appreciate you replying to my thread as your first post on this message board. If this sort of thing offends you, this might not be the one you are most aligned with however.
      Last edited by Motorcitydak; 02-18-2020 at 05:09 AM.
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
      No worries bee, this build isn’t for everyone but neither is this website. Thanks for voicing your opinion tho. I never liked the pro-stock cars that were gutted and only had fiberglass body work all around that fit and looked terrible with a barely there tube chassis that handles like a wet rag and are very dangerous on the road and only designed for a 1/4 mile. That’s why I don’t spend any time around those things our checking them out online. Mopar gave us over 100,000 of these cars and nearly every single other one has not changed much in the last 50 years, besides rusting way. My car spent over a decade rotting under a tarp in a back yard before I got it. I’ll keep all my tools and keep buying more to progress my hobby as I see fit. Others intent on a factory restoration will do the same. I appreciate you replying to my thread as your first post on this message board. If this sort of thing offends you, this might not be the one you are most aligned with however.
      Motorcitydak I totally agree with you. Although that is not my style of car I think a person has the right to do with there car as they see fit. Thats what makes the sport fun is seeing different types of cars even if u don't like that style. You keep going and if u don't like it move on.

DAK, remember the fables we heard as children. “You can’t make everyone happy all the time “. I’ve also made a widebody 68 Firebird. Not everyone gets it!

Thanks for your input Thumper and Widetrax. This has been a long project and I am set on building and finishing it just the way I want it. It will not be for everyone and I'm sure there will be more negative comments to come, but everyone is welcome to say what they are thinking. That being said, I have not been able to get over the mismatched flares........

Time to start all over, but I think this time I will finally get it all right
      Steve

I feel your pain there. Haven't had a chance to work on mine in months, 2 new puppies at home, etc. Got my one side epoxied & mostly bodyworked & in black primer before running out of time. Perfecting the last part of the bodylines & that damn fender flare is a real time consuming part. I got some vette panel adhesive to use as an upgrade filler at body lines & especially near edges.
      Being my project is on a running vehicle & a section at a time, getting it out in the open where I can stand back at different angles & even at different locations helps to sight things better. Can't get a proper perspective being right up on top of things.
      I do find it comical when someone's first post on a site is to give a negative opinion. Got plenty of that over the years. But, sometimes it's just better on a widening project to widen the whole panel. but leave the flare more stock looking.
      Here's a shot of mine from rear if it gives any inspiration. All smooth curves to the charger upper quarter section.Name:  20191030_233941.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  121.8 KB
      Attached Images Attached Images  

I went with the somewhat stock appearance look too. Name:  IMG_1420.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  134.9 KB

Any updates on this build?

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Quote Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a View Post
      Any updates on this build?
      He hasn’t been here since August. Hope he is ok.

Don
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Hey guys, thanks for checking in and the concern. I’m doing fine and progress on the car slowly continuing. I did get COVID in early December which slowed me down a little but I’ve been hit harder by the flu, thankfully. I have not been updating this thread lately since my phone became an old POS and couldn’t even take any more pictures, lol. I have a new one now so I’ll get some current pictures soon.

Since we last met, the rear flares did get finished. I set up a paint booth and sprayed the car with epoxy primer. The trunk, wheel wells and back sides of the fenders also got sprayed with raptor liner. Then the body work began and has not yet ceased. Unfortunately the rear quarters saw maybe four different attempts at the flares so all that heat distorted the sides a good bit. They require a good bit of filler which I’m still working on. The front fenders are not too bad and are nearly ready for another coat of epoxy. At this time, I’m hoping to be ready for paint in the late spring. Fingers crossed I’ll get there. It’s just cold now so I don’t venture out to get after it too much right now. Stay tuned, more good stuff to come for sure

Steve

Sorry to hear about being sick, but glad to hear you are still at it. Post some pictures if you can, I'd love to see where you are at with this build.

1955 Nomad project LC9, 4L80e, C5 brakes, Vision wheels
      1968 Camaro 6.2 w/ LSA, TR6060-Magnum hybrid and etc SOLD
      1976 T/A LS1 6 Speed, and etc. SOLD
      Follow me on Instagram: ryeguy2006a

Bumping this up for an update!

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

You are right to ask dhutton, it has been FAR TOO LONG since anyone has seen an update here. That doesn’t mean work has not been progressing, just that I’ve been neglecting to take pictures of lots of things and getting them posted here. Also the process of body work is incredibly long, boring and tedious. All that being said, I’ve attached some pictures of how the car sits right now, other than the front bumper is better fitted now. All the jams and back sides of the doors, trunk and hood are painted and cleared. I have a little work to do on the outside of the body now to get it all ready to be one color. The color is the Lotus color I posted before, called fire red. With the cold temperatures here now in debating if I should push to get color on it now or shift gears and get a new, wider rear axle ordered. In that note, anyone know of a company that will build be a Ford 9 inch full floater to a width of 72 inches or more? I talked to Moser and they said they can’t do it. Speedway engineering said they could but just wanted to know if there are any other options out there.

Merry Christmas!! From Santa’s new sleigh
      Attached Images Attached Images              
      Steve

That’s a lot of progress! You’ve come a long way. Great color. Thanks for the update.

Don
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 Apache Fleetside

Wow! Looks wild! congrats!

I'm glad dhutton asked about this. Looks interesting.
      2021 Durango R/T
      2005 Dakota beater
      2003 Dakota project-o-mobile

Nice work & beautiful color!
      Roger

69 Mustang coupe, under construction
      2011 Mustang - DD
      https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...ang-SuperCoupe

Freedom Of Speed!

Thanks folks for the compliments! I was hoping to have the whole thing painted before putting up an update but didn’t realize it work likely be two full years since the last one before I did that. Anyway, I’m still hard at work at it. Maybe it’ll hit the streets next summer
      Steve

Page 32 of 36 FirstFirst ... 22 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com