Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
      I Just bought 15 yards of 8.5oz twill weave fiberglass from U.S. Composites for $7.65/yd and a gallon of their epoxy/hardener kit was $71. Seemed like a decent deal to me.

Country Flag: United States
      Are you trying to make the flares removable or molded in?
      85 monte, drift project- small block t5 and 8.8
      88 Blazer sbc
      05 300c

Molded in, my fenders are fiberglass so I'm hoping that if I sand off the gel coat I can add mine on
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

I'd just cut the opening out, space it away from the fender then glass it from there.
      88 Blazer sbc
      05 300c

I see that you are saying, I was hoping to instead glue the foam blocks to the fender that I have now, shape it then glass over that with maybe two layers. After that remove the excess fiberglass under the flare and then some more glass on the inside to tie it all together. Using that method tho concerns me about getting too much material in the seam between the old and new

Im plugging away on body work at the moment. First up was getting the drivers door seam right and the door stripped. It had a small amount of damage I would guess sometime pre-stud welder era. However what happened to the door in no way called for the amount of filler on it. They had probably gallons on this one door and when it was all 'done' and horribly painted there were extra body lines in place and added a lot of weight. After all the work I did a little hammer and dolly work to get it close to where it needs to be and a small amount of filler will go back on

Some work was still needed at the tail panel. The drivers quarter cap needed the bottom and part of the side replaced while the passenger side was 95% missing. Also the filler panel from the caps to where the diffuser will go needed to be made. All the stuff you see on the metal is sprayed on white lithium grease to keep any water off the bare stuff. The back of the car is really close to the garage door so when it rains I did not want any problems

Last edited by Motorcitydak; 01-16-2016 at 10:53 AM.
      Steve
      1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Red Bull<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/5cce6da5/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script><script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/85dc54c0/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post

I see what you did there with the exhaust trumpets. Looks good!

'69 Charger TT Viper project - SOLD
      '65 Mustang Shelby clone project "almost done"

Really love watching your build cop magnet! Can't wait to see more. You can see my exhaust is not exactly straight, I have them clamped between some wood, should have welded them to a piece of angle. ill have to fix that later on

Despite the gap in updates I have been working on the car as much as possible, recently focused on the front fender flares. I really wanted as much of the tire covered as possible. I started out with glueing floral foam blocks onto the sides until I got close to what I was looking for. I first tried gorilla glue which did not work. Ended up using hot glue instead, worked out a lot better. The foam is great to work with as you can sand it with your fingers if needed. Once that was good I gave it a coat of bondo for some more work and so I could get the masking tape to stick

Then 4 layers of glass, think it was 7.5oz? Used epoxy resin, all stuff from US Composites

Same deal on the passenger side. First I traced out the top line of the flare then added foam. Once in I cut out cardboard profiles of the drivers side and sawed them into place. Thats another nice thing with the foam, just easily sawed the cardboard up and down until I got them into place

After shaping, bondo and taped up

and another 4 layers of glass

Next up is the grill and front bumper. Cannot wait to move the car out so I can clean the garage up, really hate the huge mess I have going on right now. Also after nearly 6 months of no progress on the front CV's with the driveshaft shop, I got my stuff back and sent it off to RCV performance. Hoping for a better experience with them
      Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Motorcitydak View Post
      You can see my exhaust is not exactly straight, I have them clamped between some wood, should have welded them to a piece of angle. ill have to fix that later on
      On the pipe leading to the high tip, lay a bead or two of weld on the bottom of the pipe, about 6-7" upstream of the tip. Same idea as NASCAR putting camber in a solid axle (done this way in the past, dunno if they still do it this way) or using weld to remove bearing races or valve seats.
      Principle is the metal lays on hot, and shrinks as it cools, taking the parent metal with it.

I'll watch what luck you have with CV places. I'm doing sorta the little brother of your drivetrain- Mercruiser 3.7L aluminum 4 stroked to 253cid, Kaase repro Boss429 head, G-Force T5, AMC Eagle RWD/AWD Transfer case. Front diff is Suzuki Sidekick IFS, and spindles are Lexus IS250. I have Suzuki and Lexus axles, so how hard can this be...? Hahaha.

Thats a great idea on moving that pipe down, thanks a lot. Have you posted your build anywhere? I have to check that out!
      Steve

Grill is in place, as mentioned its from a Coronet and also used on the '69 Charger 500

Working on the front bumper now. When done it will be more of a smooth shape covered with fiberglass epoxy'ed fleece material. Starting off by building an inner bumper for actual protection. It is 1x2 and 2x2. Ill be adding a provision for a front tow point to the center of the 2x2

Wish I could get the whole front end in one shot but the car is near the front of the garage so I can't get any further back

Added more 1x2 for what will be the lower lip, this is 7 inches off the ground. Wish it was lower but it is all I am willing to do, think the front end will look even more weird if it were any taller

I want a lower opening so started working that out. Think I may lower this piece however, right now only have about 2 1/2 inches of height across the top, may look better with more

Just ordered a pair of Rigid Industries Dually LED spot lights that I will build into this as well as some air scoops for the brakes. I like the idea of using glued fleece for this since i can just frame the bumper then stretch the material over it and glue it into place
      Last edited by Motorcitydak; 02-21-2016 at 02:06 PM.
      Steve

Big delays recently in working on this thing but I have been slowly getting after it. The front bumper is currently drying after I stretched some spandex material over it, held in place with small binder clips then coated with epoxy resin. Will have to see how strong it comes out to be, can add more layers of spandex or back with with fiberglass mat. I have stainless mesh that will fill that lower opening after the material is dry. Really like the way it is coming out tho

Steve

Hey guys it has been a really long time since I had an update. Very slow work has been going on lately but I have a great excuse, my wife and I welcomed our first child back in June. As most of you know they take up a lot of your time and all of your sleep. I sneak out to the garage during naps when I can. I wanted to throw up a few pics that I took yesterday, it was the first time that the car pulled itself out of the garage and I think it looks awesome. Cannot wait to get more going on it. I have said I want to drive it on my birthday for the last four years or so, that just passed again but one of these days it has to happen right?

Anyway, here it is. Right now I am working on adding material to the front fender flares and giving them mounting locations

Steve

that thing is wild!

Glad to see progress continue on this.

Kids slow things down but it's well worth it in the end.

Well.....been a long time here between any work as I have been doing a lot on my house lately. It's nearly done now and I snuck out to the garage door a few hours. After many months with the guys at RCV performance I have the first custom parts in for my front drive setup, the last round of parts should be on the way shortly. All the pieces now carry their part numbers so when you build the same overly complicated car that never leaves the garage, call them up and get the same ones I have!

The pieces on the right are the drive flange and shaft for the passenger side. 930 joints go on the inboard side and I'll be using the factory outer ends. The piece on the left is actually a two piece intermediate shaft. I have a 40mm bearing that will support the end with a 930 joint on its way to the drivers side wheel

During the install, I had to open up the frame notch on the passenger side since I underestimated the size. I don't have a pic of the new piece in here but I did close up the hole and now is ready for action. I know nearly all the strength of the frame was lost here but I have a large H member under the car here for lca mounts and a 10 point cage is just above it so it's good to go

Steve

I've been watching this build since about half way through and fell in love the first time I saw it. I know it's been a while since an update, but i really hope this project is still getting love because this is amazing on multiple levels. Thanks for sharing this much, at the very least.

Thanks meat! You will be happy to know that the car is still slowly moving along and I do have more progress coming shortly. There will be more parts thrown at it and expect to see something new in around a week. Soon enough I will be onto the long and boring process of body work....
      Steve

Been a long time.....I'm still doing work on this car as I can but of course is always too slow. I did have an update ready a month or so ago but couldn't get a video to upload. Anyway I am happy to say that the drivetrain is now complete! I put in the cv shafts that I got made and finally had the system spinning to start to break in the front diff.

More recently I've been putting in the headlights. They came from a 1995 525i, unfortunately the one lens was broken and was holding water which damaged the silver coating on the aluminum piece that now looks white. I need to find another lens and will try some chrome wrap material on the aluminum. Also have a little rust on the one support that needs to be fixed. I do like the way they came out tho

Steve

I remember following this quite some time ago and just stumbled on this post. Do you have pics available somewhere besides Photobucket? Not showing up here and tried looking on PB, but they're all F'd up now with their new business killing policies.

Corey

Quote Originally Posted by JpRngr View Post
      I remember following this quite some time ago and just stumbled on this post. Do you have pics available somewhere besides Photobucket? Not showing up here and tried looking on PB, but they're all F'd up now with their new business killing policies.

Corey
      Yeah I can't see them now either ��
      88 Blazer sbc
      05 300c

Page 26 of 36 FirstFirst ... 16 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com