Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
    Country Flag: United States
    Hey guys, i have a little update for my car. I spent about 7 hours in the garage this sunday with really not too much to show for it. I was doing the tedious little pieces that I needed to finish up my LCA mounts which took a bit of time for each one. I also made taco gussets for the crossmember and welded everything up. My limiting factor was my welder having a 30% duty cycle. Ended up sitting around quite a bit at the end with my thumb up my ass hoping my welder would give me some more time. I didn't quite finish up all the welds but its dam close to being done. Heres what I have

Taco's from a 4 inch wide strip of 1/8 plate bent around the tubes

Steve Calabro
    2015 Chrysler 300S
    2006 Lotus Exige
    1996 Dodge Dakota 4x4 5.7 Hemi on 35's
    1968 Dodge Charger All Wheel Drive project Ratón

I have a little update to show finally, I have been messing around with the placement of the crossmember. Ill tack weld it in, take a measurement and maybe move it a little to get it just where I want. I think its in a really good spot now so I went ahead and tossed the control arms, knuckles, hubs and CV shafts in there together with the front diff so I can start getting an idea of where the diff will sit and how to mount it. I do know that I will build a few brackets that will be removable from the car for the diff. It will be mounted with soft rubber bushings to allow the diff to move just a little so it can cope with the power input and hopefully not blow up. Here are a few shots of the front setup

Steve Calabro
    2015 Chrysler 300S
    2006 Lotus Exige

Country Flag: Canada
    awesome project

this is soooo cool, its going to be one radical street machine!

this is cool love the work and where you got the name. MILF's hahahahahah
    68 Camaro RS twin turbo
    https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...d-Intent-V-2-0

1993 Toyota Supra 6768 Built Single Turbo

Slow Lifted Jeep No TURBO :(

Randal F

Lookin good!
    2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
    2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

Hey guys I actually did something on the car again!! I had been doing something here and there once in a great while but nothing worth noting. I built a couple brackets to hold the front diff in place and finally laid it in place. I used some 1x1 and 1/8 inch plate to make this. Its sitting in the car completely supported by the brackets I built which are obviously not done yet. I centered the diff/extension shaft in the car only to remember later that the CV shafts are not the same length, drivers side is longer. That means that I need to move the diff about another 3/4 of an inch outward to the passenger side then I should be all set. The bushings I used for this are good ole rubber ones. They are great for a universal application, inside diameter is 1/2 inch, outside is 1 inch. They come in a 3 inch wide mounting width but I cut em down to fit in the 1 1/2 inch long tube to be more compact. I really wanted rubber instead of poly because the front diff will see possibly more than its fair share of shock load from the transfer case and Id like it if it didn't kersplode when I hammer it. Anyway, thats about enough of me ramblin' on, here are some pics

Front diff brackets not quite done yet

and a few of it all sitting in the car. You can see the crazy amount of negative camber I have going on here because the front diff is too close to the center, once I move it this will be back to normal

Kinda bummed because I spent the time bending the tube for the front bracket then I ended up not being able to use it. That part will be cut off because it sits way too low and Ill just brace the bracket I built

Steve Calabro
    2015 Chrysler 300S
    2006 Lotus Exige

Man, This project is great! I cant wait to see it finished!
    1969 Pontiac GTO
    -The Nameless project.

0331, USMC, Semper Fi.

Looks good

I love this project! You have some guts dude.

Are you going to add a couple more ears for those front diff bushings in the last picture? If not, the bolts will deflect in the rubber bushings and put a moment on the two ears that are there.

Keep the pics coming!! I'll be keeping my eye on this one.

one heck of a setup!

Quote Originally Posted by SickSpeedMonte View Post
    Are you going to add a couple more ears for those front diff bushings in the last picture? If not, the bolts will deflect in the rubber bushings and put a moment on the two ears that are there.
    Yep, they will be finished up. I just did those mostly for mock up. I have to remove the ears that are there now because the diff actually needs to be moved about 3/4 of an inch outward. Ill finish em up nicely once its in the rite place
    Steve Calabro
    2015 Chrysler 300S
    2006 Lotus Exige

this is the most awesome build I have seen thus far, I love 68 chargers. its good to see fabrication of your caliber on a car like that, wow. makes me wanna get rid of my camaros and get a charger again,

this car is gonna be sick! keep it up!

-Andy

Thanks guys!

I moved the front diff over about 3/4 of an inch. I had to cut a little bit of a cooling fin off the bottom and a bit out of the taco gusset to allow the diff to be where it needs to be but its sitting in there great now. I think Im going to put the other brackets on there to hold it in place for now but Ill wait till after I put the motor in there somewhere to burn em in for good. Im thinking that if needed I can move the diff forward slightly to free up some more space. I plan on having the crank pulley somewhere around the center axle shaft, probably just behind it
    Steve Calabro
    2015 Chrysler 300S
    2006 Lotus Exige

Awesome build man. i was just tellin my buddy the other day that i wanted to do an awd setup in a protouring car. where you located?

Dave Van Nuys
    83 455 Regal in progress

Im in Michigan, about 30 miles north of Detroit which in the south east corner of the state hence the 'Motorcity' thing. I lived in detroit until the day I turned 19
    Steve Calabro
    2015 Chrysler 300S
    2006 Lotus Exige

Alright guys, I got what I thought was quite a bit of work done to the car last night. It really does not look like much tho. I was in the garage for about 8 hours and don't have much to show for it but what I got done was pretty important. Also, the Fox is getting another present. Anyone want to guess what will be coming in a few days?

I finally got my front suspension worked out so it was time to build the upper control arm mounts. I built the brackets out of 1/8 cold roll, 3 inch wide.

Started out by measuring out where the mounts should be then welded in a piece a 1/2inch all thread. I marked on them where the mounts go then secured my rod ends there and started putting brackets around them.

These are the rod ends Im using, 1/2x1/2 forged chromo ends from ruff stuff specialties.

The ends mounted in place. I want to run spacers between the brackets so Ill just make some to the width I need.

I started adding in the brackets. Its a little tedious which is why I took so long just doing 8 brackets

Passenger side is done

Cleaned up the drivers side frame rail so I can add the brackets here

Used the same process to mock this side up, heres the finished product on the drivers side

Then I tossed everything else back on and went to bed

Well thats all for now. Next time Ill be building my own upper control arms
    Steve Calabro
    2015 Chrysler 300S
    2006 Lotus Exige

That is one killer build.

Hmmmmm. If I guess correctly do I win something???

Looks good Steve! Looking forward to seeing the control arms as you get building. I may have to build some uppers myself depending on whether or not my Shockwaves fit through the uppers I have/plan to get from Joe's racing.
    Will Ellis
    1969 Dodge Dart Swinger, 1/2 Dart / 1/2 Viper...
    Build Thread

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast