Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Why aren't there more Pro-Touring Mustangs??

Yeah so like many my first love is the first generation Camaro.

But I love first generation Mustangs too!! I see some of them represented in super high end builds but there they are few and far between on this forum. At the recent RTTC on Sunday I only saw two first gen Mustangs.

They made a hell of a lot more Mustangs than Camaros. What gives? I guess Steilow's builds and Big Red only inspired Camaro fans lol?

Is it because Mustang front ends are harder to make perform (no idea on if that's true, just know the strut tower set up isn't real well liked). Harder to fit big motors?

I haven't figured out if its a temporary bug or not but lately I've found myself wanting to dabble with a 65-66 Mustang. Its soooo much harder to find good information on those cars than Camaros.

Are all the PT mustangs hiding on a Ford site?

PS. what are the best Mustang sites for first gen Mustang info?

PPS. Feel free to show off your first gen PT Mustangs in this thread with pics ha ha.
      Please Subscribe to the AutoXandTrack YouTube Channel

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

Damn love that fastback. Soooo clean!

Autocross and track blog about running autocross and track events with pro touring cars

current popularity of the camaro.

Ease of camaro suspension mods. And more aftermarket choices.

LS motors

Tire size without doing any mods

All the mustangs are being used in vintage racing. Check out corner-carvers for mustang builds.

Most have seen my falcon, even rarer than a mustang.

I was wondering the same thing Chad, we could of had a few more Stangs show up at RTTC

Expect one more (a '65) to be PT'd in the next few years. ;)
      1973 Datsun 240 Z
      2.8L Turbocharged and Injected, WIP.

DIY Fuel injection forums and information

From what I have experienced the mustangs are a great platform. One huge advantage they have is their weight. My dad's weighs 2940 with a full tank, and has a 50%/50% f/r split with the driver. They do have a limited tire size, and it's a little difficult to work in the engine bay. But considering the other advantages I still don't know why there aren't more of them out there. They have great aftermarket support, and with relatively little work they can perform pretty well.

Here is my dads car at last years RTTH. Since this picture we have put a new maier racing front 1 1/8" sway bar on the front, and added a maier 5/8" splined adjustable bar for the rear.

Ken

There are plenty of "Restomod" Mustangs out there. I would like to see more Mustangs on here too, but I think most hang out at the Mustang boards, StangFix, VMF, StangNet, etc..

Here's mine.

'65 2+2
      347 - RetroTek EFI - 471 fwhp
      JBA shorty's, 2.5" tubes, Dr Gas X-pipe
      T-5 world class 5 speed, w/ .80 OD
      9" with 3.70's & T-loc
      4 wheel disc brakes
      17" Torq-Thrust D's, 225/45 & 245/45
      TCP/Global West suspension
      OpenTracker roller spring perches
      subframe connectors, Traction Masters, Panhard bar
      TCP manual rack & pinion
      power windows & power door locks w/ keyless entry

Mainly lack of parts choices... but that's going to change. I know DSE is working on stuff and I was a Global West and they have some way cool stuff being developed..

Mustang owners rejoice!!!!
      "A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

1968 Track Rat Camaro:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGHJ5c1yLIo&t=2s

1971 Chevelle Wagon with a few mods:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBVPR3sRgyU

the marriage of these two cars into one 67 fastback will be posted in a build thread soon.First I need to finish off a 90 mustang coupe build

These are my two projects. It took me 8 years to build the Mustang and I am guessing that I will get the Camaro done in two. In my opinion the Chevy is just easier to find and get parts for. The fastback is my first love but I am excited about all of the possibilities that this Camaro has.

I agree, easier to build the F bodies. I was mid project on my 66 coupe in 1992 when I bought my 70 Firebird and built it instead, then the 81 Malibu, then the 67 RS SS Conv. Camaro, then the 67 Nova SS, then the 86 911,......I keep saying I'll get back to the Mustang eventually..... Took pics of it this week! but sadly thats it.

Quote Originally Posted by 6spdcamaro View Post
      From what I have experienced the mustangs are a great platform. One huge advantage they have is their weight. My dad's weighs 2940 with a full tank, and has a 50%/50% f/r split with the driver. They do have a limited tire size, and it's a little difficult to work in the engine bay. But considering the other advantages I still don't know why there aren't more of them out there. They have great aftermarket support, and with relatively little work they can perform pretty well.

Here is my dads car at last years RTTH. Since this picture we have put a new maier racing front 1 1/8" sway bar on the front, and added a maier 5/8" splined adjustable bar for the rear.

That is an awesome shot! That mustang looks beautiful but also super mean and nasty in that shot. Love it.

So many awesome Mustangs in this thread. Hope we see more builds on this site of em. I keep perusing craigslist for a new project lol. Not that I really need one...

My brother has autocrossed a 66 Mustang for years. And I would be building my 69 Mach if I had the money. But I need to work on the car that is running so I'm working on my 78 Cobra, talk about hard to find parts! And I'm still not convinced that I can get it to handle as well as my 87 GT, but it will be fun trying.
      There are 2 factors in Autocross, Tires and the loose nut behind the wheel.

Paul Grala
      69 Mach 1 project (For Sale)
      78 Cobra
      87 GT
      98 Expedition

My theory, and it's only a theory, has been this. Mustangs are much more common than Camaros at your typical road course event and have more of a presence in professional racing. The corner carving demographic of Mustang owners were more likely to turn to pre-existing events to run their cars. The track element of pro-touring is then not as impressive to Mustang owners who are into that sort of thing.

Obviously, there are a ton of exceptions that are not described by that and both the Camaro and Mustang have been road raced since they first came out.

Here's a picture from the first real NASA trackday I attended back in '09. Even with the Camaros in AI, CMC, and CMC2, the Camaros at the event could be counted on one hand. Mustangs on the other hand were very well represented, though there were no early examples signed up to run. How does running newer Mustangs relate to fewer PT-ed older Mustangs? Well another theory, a Mustang owner might have a dedicated track car and an old Mustang just to cruise around in. I'm not sure how many people that really applies to though.

I must ask the question, why are there not more Camaros at ordinary track events? Thankfully, the good members of this site do their part to correct that, but it is odd to me that more Camaros (of any vintage) aren't raced.
      Brett H.

1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
      1991 Mazda Miata
      2005 Ford Mustang GT

1987 Ford Mustang GT - Sold 06-29-2014
      1988 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera - RIP 9-17-2011
      1992 Chevrolet Corvette - Sold 10-12-2017

I know of a number of Mustangs under construction with our chassis under them.
      We've got a 69 Mustang in process at the shop now.
      Schwartz full chassis, 2011 5.0L Coyote engine, with supercharger not yet installed.
      Here's a link:
      http://www.schwartzperformance.com/p...x?projectid=36
      Jeff Schwartz 815-770-0751
      SchwartzPerformance
      Where classic style meets modern performance.
      455 Commanche Circle
      Harvard IL 60033
      SchwartzPerformance.com | Facebook | Twitter

Awesome!

I do have one question...

Can I have a ride? :D haha
      1973 Datsun 240 Z
      2.8L Turbocharged and Injected, WIP.

DIY Fuel injection forums and information

Here's the 70 Fastback I built for a local customer.

Here's the build thread
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ack&highlight=
      It's coming in this next week to install AFD 4V heads and AFD intake. I am trying to talk my customer into taking it down to the new RRTC event that gonna be in August.

I'm convincing my brother to make his 72 maverick pro-touring, just got the 302 in and getting 17s...just need to save up for the rrs r&p along with their stut-mount style coil-over kit!
      If I ever do a ford it'll be a 70-71 torino...but i'd probably do a 74 apollo or basterdized a 70ish duster/dart with a buick engine ha
      i'll post pics of the mav with 17s once we deicded if we can go 17x8s with no ill effects and ofcouse if you guys dont mind
      72 buick skylark
      twin-turbo fuel injected buick 350..perhaps stroked to 370 in the works!

I think I would have to disagree. The Camaro's got almost over covered, causing some magazines to boycot them. In my opinion the Mustangs could meet that same fate, lets face it early Mustangs, and Camaros had the largest production numbers of any Muscle cars ever built.

I do think the Camaro is a little easier to modify though, with the bolt in subframe. So the suspension manufactures have produced some really cool stuff for them, and people have just bought it up.

Ron Schwarz

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com