Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

AutoCad Inventor help - Need to export/convert to DXF

Hi, Im a noob when it comes to AutoCad and I am in need of some help. I have this project that Ive been working on and I need to send my project in DXF file format.. I dont see any export options in Inventor that allows me to export into this file type. I have found dwg to dxf converters for 75 bucks and so on.. is there a free way to convert it.
      Thanks,
      Clint

dang, 2 hours into searching and still got nothing usefull. I have found that a in a dwg drawing file, i can save as a dxf... what is a dxf anyway? an easy way to import into a cnc machine? Sofar I tried to export the main back/face of the part into a drawing file (dwg). imported it into autocad 2009. tried to do it in 3d there but am clueless on how to use 3d there..thats why I got inventor 2010... easier to figure out.
      dang this project is making my head hurt..
      clint

Country Flag: United States
      You can save your drawing in inventor as a .dxf. If you have a 3d model drawn you need to create 2d drawing from you model first. Once you a have your 2d print which in inventor it a .idw drawing. Once you have your drawing go to the save copy as. Once the window pop up you can change the file type to .dxf it will be near the bottom of the pop-up. Click on .dxf , then you should be able to save as .dxf. I hope I answer your question.

Scott

Scott
      Romszewicz Motorsports

Thanks Scott!! ... converted to dxf just like that. Is there a way to turn the 3d model into a 3d dxf? or is a dxf only a 2d representation of the 3d part? Is it possible that a dxf file can be a 3d.
      Clint

DXF's are only flat patterns. Usually used for laser or water jet cutting.

If you want to export a 3D model to a CNC mill/lathe or a 3D laser cutter you would need to create a STP or a IGS file. I am sure there are more but those are the most common.

If you need to send a model for stereolithography then its a stl or igs file extension.

the dxf file was requested by another member on a truck forum. He mentioned his main source of income was cnc work and he became a vendor there so I sent him a PM.. We talked back and fourth and he asked for a dxf... I will pm him back and ask what the dxf needs to have.
      Thanks for the help too Bryce,
      Clint

Correct on all info. dxf is a 2d file and I prefer step files instead of iges for my 3D work, step 204 has more info than the order iges format.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com