Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Anybody actually using the spectra tank

Is there anyone using the spectra tank with an LS? How do you like it other than slosh and fuel level reading? What did you do to make it work with the LS?
      thanks
      Scott

Scott contact Jason Rushforth. He has a spectra tank in his skylark but has the same problems with fuel starvation below 1/2 tank as does every other person who has this tank. I wouldnt recommend it.

Country Flag: United States
      I have the old design in my 67. Other than the above described/well-known problems, its been problem free. I have a stock LS1. I have autocrossed & drag raced. Just keep over 1/2 tank and its fine. There is a new design out now, so if you havent bought one yet, find the new one & you should be fine. The gauge is only slightly off, and will show empty when there is still a few gallons left- not really a bad thing if you think about it.
      Scott

I spoke with three guys on another forum who have the new design and haven't had problems with it and wondered what you guys thought. I know the old ones sucked - just wondering about the new ones. Luke, do you know which version of the tank they have?

Quote Originally Posted by Z06vet View Post
      I have the old design in my 67. Other than the above described/well-known problems, its been problem free. I have a stock LS1. I have autocrossed & drag raced. Just keep over 1/2 tank and its fine. There is a new design out now, so if you havent bought one yet, find the new one & you should be fine. The gauge is only slightly off, and will show empty when there is still a few gallons left- not really a bad thing if you think about it.
      Scott
      Do you know the part number differences between old and new or is it the same?

Yes, please keep this thread going. Very intersted to know about the new tanks.
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

When you compare the simplicity of the fix to something like the vaporworks solution you either have to conclude that it cannot work or the guy who developed the fix is a genius. I must admit I am a
      little skeptical that a simple little strip of steel added to that baffle will solve the problem but maybe it is good enough for street use. Looking forward to seeing test results under more demanding test conditions.
      1969 Camaro - LSA 6L90E AME sub/IRS
      1957 Buick Estate Wagon
      1959 El Camino - Ironworks frame
      1956 Cameo - full C5 suspension/drivetrain
      1959 Apache Fleetside

I don't think they changed the part number. I got confused at one point because the 69 has a different number.

If they didn't change the part number than they lowered the price quite a bit. Rock Auto is now selling them for $365. I think they were around $440 just a year ago.

No way on God's green earth I can afford a Ricks tank. If Spectra doesn't come through for me than I may have to go with a stock tank and external pump. Not the most popular option but it's been done before.
      1968 Pro-Touring Camaro LS1

Project: Next Year
      - Start date; June '01
      - Completion; Sometime next year or the year after.....

Just wait Tony, just wait......
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Hmmmmm.. You know something we don't know Carl???

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      Just wait Tony, just wait......

They said they lowered the price about a hundy. Carl, if you know something that could save us some green and help out this business venture on teh vaporworx tank could you tell us two things? Will it be priced somewhere near the spectre tank and when will it be out? Knowing these two things could influence a lot of purchases that will be made as spring is just around the corner.
      thanks
      Scott

+1. I also need to buy a tank soon.
      Shannon

67 Camaro - Finally getting to BUILD it.

Camaro Build -> HERE

Our Drag boat blog and videos HERE

Country Flag: Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by Cris G View Post
      Hmmmmm.. You know something we don't know Carl???
      ;-)

By the beginning of next week there will be more info. I can't let the news out before RTTC since that will be where the new design will be first shown to the public. Very soon afterward there will be a product announcement. I can't comment on the price since someone else will be selling it, so it is against the law for me to discuss it. However, it is, IMO, an apples and oranges comparison to the Spectra tank.

There will also be three new vaporworx products coming out. One is a natural progression, the other two are something not currently offered in the automotive aftermarket. All three will also make their public debut at RTTC.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Quote Originally Posted by CarlC View Post
      ;-)

the new design .......<snip>
      There will also be three new vaporworx products coming out. One is a natural progression, the other two are something not currently offered in the automotive aftermarket. All three will also make their public debut at RTTC.
      This subject keeps developing as time goes on...this is great, by the time I get around to working on my car again, you guys will have it all figured out for me....LOL
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Quote Originally Posted by John Wright View Post
      This subject keeps developing as time goes on...this is great, by the time I get around to working on my car again, you guys will have it all figured out for me....LOL
      That's what I'm sayin! lol I would LOVE to get a Rick's Tank, but I just can't justify spending that much at this point. On my TA I had a a sumped stock tank and it honestly worked REALLY well, even when the fuel level got pretty low. Granted I wasn't autocrossing the thing but I did engage in some VERY spirited driving. I may go this route again on the 442. It makes the pump very accessible and the noise from the Bosch 044 was not very loud at all!

Curious to find out what the heck else is coming out soon. I need to make a decision on a tank soon dammit!!! LOL

any update on a release

Country Flag: Canada
      I am looking for a replacement tank for my 2nd gen with a FAST EZ EFI. I am near the horsepower limit for the system and my main problem is that I am sucking air below about 1/3 tank. I also have an issue with fuel odor in the garage as it is now only vented through the gas cap. I have been considering the spectre tank due to its excellent price point at Rock Auto.....is a $1000 tank really necessary?
      72 firebird , SD performance 464" 455,KRE D ports, EZ EFI,Dougs 1 3/4,3.5" custom oval exhaust,TKO600,Kore 3 C5/C6,DSE subframes,Full cage by Radical Rides(Thanks Dave,Johnny,Campbell,Bill,Lee and Gabby!!)

Is there a way to tell the difference between the earlier and newer Spectra tanks? Did they change the part number or something?
      Red Forman: "The Mustang's front end is problematic; get yourself a Firebird."

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com