Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by dipren443 View Post
      I will have to send you a link to my build thread. It is coming along slow right now though.
      ya definitly send me the link .....id love to keep up with it.....i took alot from our conversations over xmas....as you can tell with my questions on here haha....i def wanna keep up my learning curve

Quote Originally Posted by aronhk_md View Post
      Advantages to the more expensive wheels include as you noticed....a custom offset/backspace allowing you to fit more wheel and tire under the car before protruding from the wheel wells, lighter weight, forged as opposed to cast for more strength and in the case of the 3 piece wheels the ability to just change a hoop if you want to go wider or damage a lip. Keep in mind this doesnt ALWAYS mean the more expensive wheel is really lighter or stronger, it just usually is that way. Oh, and I forgot bragging rights.
      ya i get ya.....i figured as much.....i def think ill save my money and put it towards the 3 piece ones ...i really like that offset look.....but it is a big dollar difference

Well if the ultimate flexibility is the goal,,,, try a pair of coil overs up front and use the blocks out back. That will provide you with the ability to change in any direction with minimal effort all things considered. I know many think the coil overs are expensive, but the flexibility offer can be a God sent...

As far as cast, forged and three peice,,, it's all about budgets. If you have the budget the flexibility and general weight savings of a three piece rim make them pretty much a no brainier... I run 17" rims on many of my cars, but also fully respect the advantage the 18" rims provide me others that have bigger Brakes... In the end we'd all love to fly on unlimited budgets but hey we do what we can within our means and enjoy the hell out of our cars,,, thank God for that...
      Carbon Kustoms Limited
      A.K.A. Albert from Toronto

Of course 3 piece wheels can leak where the 2 halves of your hoops join....they need to be sealed. So for guys changing tires all the time its no big deal, but for the rest of us its another possible maintenance item over time. Still.....they can be quite light. I have enough maintenance items on my car and dont want to add more. In fact, the one down side about the wheels I just bought is that they are a little busy with the 20 bolts that hold the 2 piece wheel together. Its just more to keep clean, but oh well.....they were cheap...lol
      1973 Trans Am 455 SR block, ported 6x-8 heads, solid cam, Victor intake, 830 CSU carb, aluminum rods, 77mm Garrett turbo and methanol injection. 1064hp at the flywheel@5500 rpm

so can i get those rims with the deep offset lip and have them not be 3 piece?

My Camaro has all the aforementioned issues stated in this thread. The ultimate solution I think I have that covered with my 996 Porsche. Eibach 60mm lowering springs which are progressive. Meaning just before bottoming out they are very stiff but at the top of the travel quite soft. Coupled with +1 wheels at 19" I have the tops of the tyres under the arches and never bottom out........

Wish I could do the same for my '77 Camaro but alas. One is a new car and one is old....The Camaro has more ground clearance yet bottoms out at times..........

You can get deep lip rims in one piece cast, 2 piece, or 3 piece rims. In fact, if you find a 1 piece cast rim you like and the company doesnt offer them wide enough there are companies that will widen them for you. Just have to look around. Some of the cheapie wheels offer very limited backspacing options, but others offer a good variety. Many of these wheels have such a thick pad on the back that you could have some of the pad machined off if the BS they offer isnt enough.

Again.....one of the major advantages of the custom wheels, either 2 or 3 piece, is the ability to just tell them what BS you want when ordering, instead of having to search for options to get the right BS. But if you are willing to do your own homework you can find much cheaper stuff that looks good and can work well. I did.
      1973 Trans Am 455 SR block, ported 6x-8 heads, solid cam, Victor intake, 830 CSU carb, aluminum rods, 77mm Garrett turbo and methanol injection. 1064hp at the flywheel@5500 rpm

Try out this site for tire heights..
      http://www.jekylhyderacing.com/HeightofTires.htm

Need help I have a 1978 firebird with original springs front and back I’m running p235 / 60r15 the rear end sits to high it is sitting from the top of the tire to wheel weld 5” I removed the shocks with no change in ride height then I removed the rear sway bar with no change in height any suggestions the rear shackles do pivot slightly
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com