Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
      Quote Originally Posted by tommycomfort View Post
      Hey Neil,
      Just caught up on your build thread before seeing that you posted here. Awesome! Did I see somewhere that you're making the trip to RTTS?
      Tom
      Yup will be at RTTS. Lots to do though. But it should all be pretty easy unless I decide to tackle Big brakes as well before the event.

1996 Federal Cadillac hearse
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

Country Flag: United States
      The wagon hasn't been getting much love lately with all the time and money going to the LS conversion in the 66. But, since we have a SCCA auto-x school this weekend we needed to come up with a better way to secure the battery and also install the rear shocks. My plan was to just bungy the battery in for now, but one thing led to another and I built a hold down. Not too nice, but pretty good for a port-a-band band saw and a drill press.

Debbie is busy Saturday so I asked Kaytlin if she wanted to take the wagon to do the auto-x school and she jumped all over it. She's starting to want to be more involved with us in the car hobby so I told her that the shocks needed to be changed before this weekend. With very little guidance she had the job done in just over an hour. Good kid!

The wagon hasn't been getting much love lately with all the time and money going to the LS conversion in the 66. But, since we have a SCCA auto-x school this weekend we needed to come up with a better way to secure the battery and also install the rear shocks. My plan was to just bungy the battery in for now, but one thing led to another and I built a hold down. Not too nice, but pretty good for a port-a-band band saw and a drill press.

That is a great looking hold down.
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

Debbie is busy Saturday so I asked Kaytlin if she wanted to take the wagon to do the auto-x school and she jumped all over it. She's starting to want to be more involved with us in the car hobby so I told her that the shocks needed to be changed before this weekend. With very little guidance she had the job done in just over an hour. Good kid!

She even got the Edelbrock logo in the picture, what a girl!

Glad to see the wagon getting some love, that is a great looking hold-down.
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

Just a quick update. The wagon performed great at the SCCA auto-x. Kaytlin had a ball and both cars were very well received. One of the instructors who drove the wagon (sports car guy) couldn't believe that a car so big actually handled so well, especially a wagon.

Very cool wagon!
      Joe Hinds

Quote Originally Posted by BulldawgMusclecars View Post
      Very cool wagon!
      Thanks Joe! We're watching the wagon you guys are working on very closely also.
      Tom

I love wagons and your's is really cool!!!

Tom Tomlinson
      Holley

Quote Originally Posted by TomT View Post
      I love wagons and your's is really cool!!!
      Thanks Tom,
      We're following your build closely too!

Deb put the wagon to the test last weekend at the Run To Music City event. So, the real changes since last year were spindles, shocks and slightly more aggressive alignment specs.

The plan was to drive the 66 from Indy to Nashville (Debbie and Sam) and I would trailer the wagon. About an hour into the trip the 66 just died. No luck with quick trouble shooting so we unloaded the wagon and loaded the 66. I ended up driving the wagon down at a relatively quick rate of speed to try to make up time. (Sorted out the 66 as soon as we arrived so took that on the 80 mile cruise.)

Saturday was auto-x all day in the parking lot of Nashville Superspeedway. Deb did great and consistently improved her times on every lap. The car is just grossly under powered and even though the KDW's look great, 205's up front and 235's in the rear just don't stick that well. No matter what, people always get a huge kick out of how stable it is for what looks like just a beater.

Sunday was the road course and even though Deb had said all along that she didn't plan on running the wagon on it, when we arrived she changed her mind... According to Deb the car handled great and again, her times were very consistent. After two twenty minute sessions the trans started to overheat so she called it "done" and put it on the trailer. It really needs a lot more engine to cook along the road course, but for now it provides tons of entertainment for everyone.

We were really bad about taking pictures at this event, but here is one while she was waiting to go out for the first session.

Glad to hear how things went. Glad she enjoyed the wagon as much as she did.
      1988 Eureka Chevy hearse

Very cool Tom, I like it. Love the fact that (I think your daughter) Kaytlin is interested in this awsome hobby. My daughter, Jamie, has been showing signs of being a young gear head. She loves going to the swap meet and being a co-pilot at the autox events.

Thanks for sharing

Brett

It's great to see you are showing people what a wagon can do. Sounds like your daughter will need a project of her own soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The Stickman View Post
      Glad to hear how things went. Glad she enjoyed the wagon as much as she did.
      Thanks Neil, she is definitely enjoying the heck out of it. I think if we could sell our rental house she might give me the go ahead for a more substantial engine and really start enjoying it...

Quote Originally Posted by 67zo6Camaro View Post
      Very cool Tom, I like it. Love the fact that (I think your daughter) Kaytlin is interested in this awsome hobby. My daughter, Jamie, has been showing signs of being a young gear head. She loves going to the swap meet and being a co-pilot at the autox events.

Thanks for sharing

Brett
      Thanks Brett,
      Sounds like your daughter is heading in the right direction too.
      Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Scott LaPointe View Post
      It's great to see you are showing people what a wagon can do. Sounds like your daughter will need a project of her own soon.
      One step ahead of you Scott! We have a really solid 65 El Camino that we're starting to make plans with. It's just a shell right now, but we have all the parts to start assembling it. It will be fourth on the hand-me-down list, so at this point it will be B-body spindles and 12" brakes up front and some generic 11" discs in the rear. Might even get the 283 that Sam and I rebuilt quite a few years ago. Once we're sure it's a go, we'll start a build thread. I might need another job to finance the family hobby...
      Tom

I'm impressed Tom. You seem to have it all covered going on three projects and attending events. I'm just trying to get one project underway and attend a few events with a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott LaPointe View Post
      I'm impressed Tom. You seem to have it all covered going on three projects and attending events. I'm just trying to get one project underway and attend a few events with a friend.
      Thanks Scott. From my foxhole it seems like we have too many irons in the fire and life is unraveling around us. But three projects and a bunch of events is really, really fun!
      Tom
      Last edited by tommycomfort; 06-15-2011 at 05:05 AM. Reason: I'm a spelling idiot

Nice updates on the wagon Tom! Looking forward to seeing you and the family at Motor State this weekend!
      Herb

1966 El Camino LS408/T56Magnum
      1966 Chevelle 509/T56Magnum
      1963 C10 454/4L80

PHR CHP CHP youtube

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com