Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      Rustomatic, I hear you brother, weight is the enemy. I have considered going with fiberglass hood, fenders and I have already dropped the heavy front and rear stock Falcon bumpers. While the Ford 4.6 3v or 4v add alittle weight I will only be using the aluminum block versions so the difference between that and a 351 is not that great. (I refuse to use a stock 302 block for fear of splitting it if I decide to turn up the wick at a later date and the Dart blocks are too pricey) I also prefer the revy nature of the ohc engines, the gas milage is a bonus. Your cop car is an iron block, 2v 4.6, basically the worst the Modular family has to offer. A well tuned mildly modified 3 or 4 valve should net me about 360rwhp which should scoot my sub 3000lb falcon along pretty well, if the need arises another 100hp is only a supercharger away.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

wow this falcon is looking beautiful...
      1965 Ford Falcon

Quote Originally Posted by onestopcustoms View Post
      wow this falcon is looking beautiful...
      Looking beautiful, not quite yet. But I am progressing, have the boxing plates for the mounting of the front suspnsion. Now time to do allitle modding for the crossmember to get it to the intended ride height. I will post up some more pics once I get the crossmsmber in.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

I've just finally done a bit of research on the aluminum modulars, and they're not bad at all as weight goes; I was quite surprised. I even saw a cool pic on here of someone who'd carbureted one, which did away with all the lame plastic on top. This one of my problems with late model stuff: I detest plastic! That said, I'm looking forward to pics of your suspension stuff getting together...

Quote Originally Posted by LowFast View Post
      Rustomatic, I hear you brother, weight is the enemy. I have considered going with fiberglass hood, fenders and I have already dropped the heavy front and rear stock Falcon bumpers. While the Ford 4.6 3v or 4v add alittle weight I will only be using the aluminum block versions so the difference between that and a 351 is not that great. (I refuse to use a stock 302 block for fear of splitting it if I decide to turn up the wick at a later date and the Dart blocks are too pricey) I also prefer the revy nature of the ohc engines, the gas milage is a bonus. Your cop car is an iron block, 2v 4.6, basically the worst the Modular family has to offer. A well tuned mildly modified 3 or 4 valve should net me about 360rwhp which should scoot my sub 3000lb falcon along pretty well, if the need arises another 100hp is only a supercharger away.

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      I've just finally done a bit of research on the aluminum modulars, and they're not bad at all as weight goes; I was quite surprised. I even saw a cool pic on here of someone who'd carbureted one, which did away with all the lame plastic on top. This one of my problems with late model stuff: I detest plastic!
      Get ready for it. AFR is coming out with a whole line on plastic intakes...
      chunger

'68 Ranchero 500
      '70 Cougar XR-7 Convertible
      '98 Mustang GT Convertible

Quote Originally Posted by rustomatic View Post
      I've just finally done a bit of research on the aluminum modulars, and they're not bad at all as weight goes; I was quite surprised. I even saw a cool pic on here of someone who'd carbureted one, which did away with all the lame plastic on top. This one of my problems with late model stuff: I detest plastic! That said, I'm looking forward to pics of your suspension stuff getting together...
      I hear ya, nothing like the look of a good aluminum intake. The always available solution, although not cheap, is a fabricated manifold, pure sexy. Check out JPC's intake for the 3v modular.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

Picked up an engine!!! Pictures to follow.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

I dont think the 18 looks to big up front. Im loving the project tho, Cant wait to see some progress!
      1969 Pontiac GTO
      -The Nameless project.

0331, USMC, Semper Fi.

More progress to report: Have the TCI front set-up welded in and will be bolting up all the bits today for use in wheel mock-up. Few pictures of the progress.

In a nutshell in order to fit the Mustang IFS to a Falcon required cutting 3/4" off each side of the crossmember mounting points to compensate for the Falcon frame. The falcon frame has 3/4 less kick-up and 1 1/2" less width than the Mustang. For the top mounts this meant adding on 3/4 of an inch to maintain the proper geometry.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

Here are a few pictures of the Crossmember welded in and the suspension bits hung for intial mock-up. I decided to located the crossmember 1/4" back in the chassis to better center the front wheels and allow from more turning clearance. I may still need to do some sheetmetal work to the fender for clearance depending on the exact wheel/tire combo I decide on. Also a picture of my expert staff.

Please excuse the welds, they are not as perfect as some of the skill demonstrated on the forum. I also still have some cleanup to do on the welds at the ends of the boxing plates. They got good penetration but just had the feed set too fast so they ended up with excess material. When I get ready for paint I plan to give the front frame a once over to "clean" things up.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

I pick-up up a takeout engine and tranny from a 2006 Mustang GT. For those who are not familiar, it is an all aluminum 4.6 with the 3-valve head. Puts out around 320hp in stock form but I also picked up a set of stage two ported heads and stage II comp cams with upgraded valve springs. Once together and tuned should be able to lay down around 380rwhp and spin it out to 7000rpm. Not sure if I will keep the TR3650 or find a TKO500/T56, really it will be a budget decision for later down the road.

1965 Falcon Hardtop

Finally checked this thread out, cool stuff......and I have to say, the Subaru wheels looked extremely cool.....I'll be subscribing.....
      1994 Caprice Station Wagon

I pick-up up a takeout engine and tranny from a 2006 Mustang GT. For those who are not familiar, it is an all aluminum 4.6 with the 3-valve head. Puts out around 320hp in stock form but I also picked up a set of stage two ported heads and stage II comp cams with upgraded valve springs. Once together and tuned should be able to lay down around 380rwhp and spin it out to 7000rpm. Not sure if I will keep the TR3650 or find a TKO500/T56, really it will be a budget decision for later down the road.

Great choice in engine! The comp stage 2's will sound great! Very cool project btw and love the name!

Great job so far. I'm going to follow this build, I am currently working on a 63.5 comet s22 hardtop.(almost the same car). I'd like to go with a 17 x 8 front and 18 x 10 rear, I'm interested to see how you handle the rear/minitub or whatever you plan. Keep up the great work

Quote Originally Posted by 63comet View Post
      Great job so far. I'm going to follow this build, I am currently working on a 63.5 comet s22 hardtop.(almost the same car). I'd like to go with a 17 x 8 front and 18 x 10 rear, I'm interested to see how you handle the rear/minitub or whatever you plan. Keep up the great work
      You can fit that wheel in the front with a 245 tire (less than 10" section width) if you modify your UCA around the ball joint. In the back you can fit a 9.5" wheel with a 275 tire (less than 11" section width) if you have a perfectly centered axle housing and a rear suspension that centers the rearend with no lateral movement, watts link instead of a panhard.

Plan on either a mini or "major" tub depending on the rear wheel. Right now I am swaying to going all out and with new rear frame rails and stuff a 335 tire out back. I should know the in-and-out of it here pretty quick. With wrapping up the front suspesnion it will be time to move out back.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
      You can fit that wheel in the front with a 245 tire (less than 10" section width) if you modify your UCA around the ball joint. In the back you can fit a 9.5" wheel with a 275 tire (less than 11" section width) if you have a perfectly centered axle housing and a rear suspension that centers the rearend with no lateral movement, watts link instead of a panhard.
      Plan on either a mini or "major" tub depending on the rear wheel. Right now I am swaying to going all out and with new rear frame rails and stuff a 335 tire out back. I should know the in-and-out of it here pretty quick. With wrapping up the front suspesnion it will be time to move out back.
      Thanks for the useful info. Ive already started the minitub. a 335 tire would look badass. Its great to see some people building these smaller fords and mercurys

Quick update. Finalizing the wheels and hope to have them ordered in the next week or so. Going with the Team III LTIII wheels (look like old pan sports) in 18x8 up front and 18x11 out back. I also started laying out the rear 4-link and should start that install this weekend. Hopefully this thing will be a roller before the new year and I can get to work on installing the engine/tranny combo. Also if you know anyone who needs a set of original 64/65 Falcon bucket seats send them my way, I will make them a killer deal to get them out of my garage.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

great progress!

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com