Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States

Project 'Chicken Nugget" - 65 Ford Falcon Hardtop

1965 Falcon Futura Hardtop (originally a 6 cylinder car but had a v8 conversion at some point) ProTouring Machine

Project goal is to build a fun driver with good power and decent handling, not a show car or a race car but something that can hold its own at an autocross or sitting pretty at a show. I will attempt to hold Function over form but I am sure some compromises will be made. Overall goal is to get this thing complete in 2 years and for less than $30k.

I am still in the overall planning stages of the build but here are my current thoughts. In order to not waste money on projects I like to plan, plan, plan and then once I have 99% of the details worked out I start the build.

Chassis
      Will keep the stock unibody but will beef up the stock rockers, add subframe connectors and torque boxes and link the two together to add some rigidity. Also will add a 6 point cage designed around streetability and maintaining use of the back seat (if this is possible)

Suspension:

TCI Mustang/Cougar IFS modified to work with Falcon framerails and to set the static ride height low (shooting for 6")
      Thinking Wilwood or Bear Track-4 front brakes but budget will come into play.
      TCI rear Falcon specific triangulated 4-link bolted up to a narrowed explorer 8.8 with 3.73 gears, trac-lok and upgraded stock 11" disks. (I would like to also upgrade the rear brakes but this is not critical since the rear came with decent disks) Rear framerails will be replaced and moved inward to allow for more rubber out back.

Wheels/Tires
      I am looking for something classic that will not date the build in 5 years, not a fan of the TTIIs, right now wheel design is up in the air, I would love to Run the NewGen Lites but they are probably out of the budget. Right now for sizing I am thinking 17x8 or 18x8 up front and 18x10-12 out back.

Powertrain
      Not set in stone, I would love to run a modular DOHC or the new 5.0 but again budget will come into play, right now I am leaning toward a mild 400+hp 351 and TKO or built T-5. UPDATE - Using a 3v 4.6 ford v8 and TR3560 Trans combo.

Interior
      Simple, comfortable with some race inspiration.

Exterior/Paint/Body
      Body is in great shape, really the reason I bought the car, it has already been taken down to bare metal and as currently sits is primered and only a skim coat and good sanding away from paint. The floor pans however are crap and will be replaced as part of the beefing up of the rockers and framerails.
      Thinking of all sorts of color combinations but have it narrowed to three, White and flat black with black or gold wheels, Grey and Black with black wheels or Brown and black with gold wheels. I will work out some photoshopping and possibly even commission a rendering before making my final decision. I want something different but that, like the wheels, will not look horribly dated in a few years.

I plan to do all of the work myself (with the help of a few friends) including engine and paint.

And for those who will ask, the name "Chicken Nugget" was christened by my son, at 3 it is his current favorite food. My wife and I were discussing giving it a name and in the discussion chicken (Falcon = Bird) came up, my son over heard and, as always on his mind, blurted out chicken nugget, and so it is. Although young he is really into tools, power equipment and cars so I am sure he will be "lending a hand" quite often as the project progresses.

Pictures to follow.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...847#post798847

I considered modifying the body based on this rendering but as ususally renderings can make even a bad idea look good. I mocked up some fibergalss flares from my friends 67 mustang, stood back and quickly said "no".
      Attached Images Attached Images    
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

However long you think your project will take, double it and you might be halfway right.

cool build Bryce is going to have a bunch of company on this sight right on
      john
      1972 NOVA SPEED TECH TORQUE ARM AND FRONT ARMS , RUSHFORTH NIGHT TRAINS, DRIVERZ INC
      BUILD LINK
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...t-(GREY-MATTER)

In order to re-coupe some of my original purchase price I sold off all the parts not needed. This included the rebuilt 289, 3spd tranny, 8" rear end, sweet 14" wheels and full front and rear suspension. Craigs list is my friend. I still have the bumpers and original buckets which need to go, so if anyone is interested.

Also have a comparison pic between the original 8" and the new explorer 8.8 which I plan to narrow a few inches to allow for a deep dish rim out back.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

After having all of the suspension pulled I was able to grab the wheels off of my Suby and throw them up under the Falcon to help visualize the ride height. Although not the exact size I plan to use they gave me a good go by. These are 18x8.5 with 235/40s. I am thinking the 18" might look alittle too big up front which is why I am considering moving down to a 17" rim up front. Let me know what you think. This is not the rim style I plan to use although you have the love the weight, 18lbs for a 18x8.5 rim is not shabby.

This is set at about a 7" ride height. I would like to go down about one more inch front and back but that would be difficult to do with this diameter tire.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

Here is a picture of the quick front end mock-up. I pan to use a 65 Mustang front bumper and valance. I will cut the "wings" off of the bumper for a straight, non-wrap around, look. The front valance will need to be sectioned and material added to make it the correct width for the falcon, I also plan to open up the middle for airflow and possibly add a lower/chin spoiler.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

Not sure if you planned on it or not, but think about putting 9" housing ends on your 8.8 to eliminate the c-clips since your shortening it anyhow. Sent you a pm BTW

Quote Originally Posted by slocobra View Post
      Not sure if you planned on it or not, but think about putting 9" housing ends on your 8.8 to eliminate the c-clips since your shortening it anyhow. Sent you a pm BTW
      PM replied. I have thought about but was not sure what all is involved, plus I think it would then require new rear brakes. Any links to an article or "how to" on this?

1965 Falcon Hardtop

I heard the strange ends will work with the 8.8 brakes, I will see what I can dig up. I had a 8.8 shortened for mine, but scrapped it and switched to a 9" when I decided to go 3 link instead of tri-4 link.

oh and the advantage of no leaky C-clip eliminators

Good idea scrapping the flares, i never liked seeing the rear wheel wells opened up on these cars.

Quote Originally Posted by LowFast View Post
      PM replied. I have thought about but was not sure what all is involved, plus I think it would then require new rear brakes. Any links to an article or "how to" on this?
      Wait try it the other way around. Put the exploder brakes on the 9" housing...

Nope, using the 8.8, it is plenty strong to support a 500hp engine and is lighter than the 9" not to mention I picked up the whole assembly off a low milage explorer for $200.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

Funniest damn name I've seen on here - will be an awesome car!

Just a quick update, ordered all of the front and rear suspension and brakes from TCI a couple of weeks ago. Expect the parts to ship anytime now. Also have been putting some effort into determining the wheels and colorscheme.

Thinking of going with this type of scheme, a Porsche bright white with "White Gold" wheels (White gold centers and brushed lip) and single offset racing stripe. Still debating on flat blacking the hood or not.

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A2KJke4C24...3rs-0g_640.jpg

I saw one of these a few weeks ago at Cars and Coffee and it looked terrific in person, the gold is subtle but really pops on the clean Porsche white. Your thoughs?
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

i have some new 17x8 and 18x10 boyd magnetos with nitto 555's245's front 295's rear. that i bought for my mustang but going bigger now if your interested lmk.

Recieved notice from TCI and the shipping company the suspension has finally shipped (took some time waiting ont he Wilwood calipers.) Shipping is expected to arrive on Friday, May 13th. Hope to get some free time from working on my truck this weekend to break open the packages, inventory, and shoot a few pics.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

The TCI Santa (Jason) sent me a few gifts!

Name:  May 2011 Download 011.JPG
Views: 16873
Size:  184.5 KB

Name:  May 2011 Download 015.JPG
Views: 15422
Size:  160.6 KB

First order of business will be adapting the mustang IFS crossmemeber to the Falcon Framerails and setting the ride height, alittle trim here and there should do it.
      1965 Falcon Hardtop

Hey, just a few thoughts on the engine choices, if you haven't yet made one: There's nothing wrong with the OLD 5.0. I'm currently messing with a 1963.5 Futura (the 2-door with the best roof line ever) that I started on last October, which came with the awesome 260/Fordomatic 2-speeed. I only drove it, slowly, a couple times with that crap. Well, move ahead to this year, with an early-90s 5.0 and T-5 (with Mustang Steve clutch cable/pedal setup--awesome!), and the car feels like an athlete! Granted, the suspension is also highly updated, but the motor and trans, with so little weight in the car, feel awesome, in every gear. Remember at all times that light weight is on your side, and that if Colin Chapman (think Lotus) said it's the best route to speed, you should believe! Avoid pickup truck frames and modular motors.

That said, I have a 2002 cop car with the mod motor. It is impressive, in that I've actually gotten a couple 30 mpg trips out of it in CA and OR/NV; it is smooth and sneakily powerful, but it's a heavy pig, as is the car. In a Falcon, it would only screw up your weight balance; it would not add power any better than a lighter motor. I'd sooner put in a Chevy 350 than a modular 4.6/5.0/etc.

It's just a guy's two cents. Enjoy harnessing the suspension bits, and bleeding from sharp, old sheetmetal! I'll look forward to more, as I live in Mustang hell (but buy parts from local Mustang dealers, and the Falcon place)...

There are 2 factors in Autocross, Tires and the loose nut behind the wheel.

Paul Grala
      69 Mach 1 project (For Sale)
      78 Cobra
      87 GT
      98 Expedition

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com