Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
      Quote Originally Posted by wmhjr View Post
      So let's just say that you're much younger than I. My spintechs neither drone, nor pop. Never a single, solitary pop. Running 3" throughout, with an X-Pipe. What motor were you running? I find that the build in addition to the muffler makes a lot of difference.
      It sounds like some crazy popping when Flash68 decelerates.

GM 350/330hp crate with vortec heads. 2.5 straight to v-force (chambered) mufflers, behind the tire exits. I think chambers are just exotic noisemakers. I've heard nice things about Magnaflows so I'm hoping for the best from them paired with an x-pipe.

I really liked my factory exhaust on my old 06 GTO, but were talking apples to oranges there.

Must be my old ears, as I don't hear any popping. Lee, do you? One thing - I do have a ton of damplifier pro and luxury liner pro in my car all the way through the trunk, as well as full length pipes out the back. So even though it's a convertible, I'm not getting drone or popping in my ears. With 600hp, you'd think it would be louder.
      '66 GTO Vert Project "Red Ink", 462ci of stroked pontiac power, TKO600, SC&C Stg II+, Tubular lowers, Currectrac Rear suspension, Moser 12bolt w/Truetrack, Wilwood Master and discs all around, too much fun for words...

i have a ls2 single turbo in my 65 chevelle with 4 inch downpipe into 4 inch oval piping since im on bags i needed the extra room and had spintech make my 4in oval in and out of my spintech muffler sounds great. i should have a video up soon of it.. no drone

Thats' music to my ears!!! the 69 sounds wicked
      I stay ready so I dont have to get ready
      2004 Nissan Maxima SE
      2001 GMC Youkon
      1972 Cutlass S (442)

Must be my old ears, as I don't hear any popping. Lee, do you? One thing - I do have a ton of damplifier pro and luxury liner pro in my car all the way through the trunk, as well as full length pipes out the back. So even though it's a convertible, I'm not getting drone or popping in my ears. With 600hp, you'd think it would be louder.
      Flash68 has dumps.. I didn't catch if he had an xpipe or not. I'm sure your x and full length pipes make the difference of toning it down more.

I had dumps on my wagon with flowmasters and an h-pipe - it really sounded like crap and vibrated the whole car! Others might like it.. it comes down to personal preference I guess. I added tail pipes and it completely changed the noise and vibration levels, but it still has that echo/drone chamber sound that I dislike.

Country Flag: United States
      Damn I missed the updates on this thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.VENGEANCE View Post
      damn flash.. your car sounds savage.
      Quote Originally Posted by Vinz68 View Post
      Yeah it does!!!!
      Thanks bros... Vin, yours is so sick. I plan on seeing your new red 69 at optima this year man. Best of luck.

Flash, my Pontiac (600hp 462ci) w/the Ram Air versions (similar to the Sportsman in 12" case) sounds a lot like yours, except maybe a touch deeper. No way I'd change them. I should also mention that when I'm out just cruising around, idling, pulling into/out of parking, I get all kinds of comments about how good it sounds. Nobody has mentioned that they didn't like the sound, but maybe they're just being kind.
      Same here man... people say it's almost louder at idle sometimes. A massive solid roller has something to do with that I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by jocko124 View Post
      If you don't want loud & you don't want drone...you don't want Spintechs!!
      I don't have any drone but I cruise at 3000+ rpms all day long. No overdrive here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
      It sounds like some crazy popping when Flash68 decelerates.
      Funny... it doesn't sound like popping in person. Nothing like popping in fact. It's more like the sound of acceleration but in descending pitch (best way I can describe it).

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_SS View Post
      Flash68 has dumps.. I didn't catch if he had an xpipe or not. I'm sure your x and full length pipes make the difference of toning it down more.
      I have an x-pipe and dumps right at the diff. I'm not sure technically what causes the crazy sound on decel, but I thoroughly enjoy it!
      1968 Camaro widebody project
      2004 Mustang LS2
      1964 Continental
      2014 Keezer

I agree with other when they say they are loud. I built the exhaust on my 87 which basically consists of Kooks 2" primary/3.5 collector headers, 3 pipes into a 3 X-pipe and a pair of 3 in/out Spintech prostreet mufflers with turn downs.

Granted I haven't had the car on the road or put glass in the car so they may quiet down once all my sound deadening can do its job but they are definitley louder than I was expecting. Not much quieter than open headers. lol

http://www.youtube.com/embed/LU9cTyO7sz4
      http://www.youtube.com/embed/wwl21THDnis
      http://www.youtube.com/embed/CARIYTtsm5w
      http://www.youtube.com/embed/NXkDpQS6t58

Mine pop a little as well but I think that has to do with the EFI not being fully tuned as well as a couple of small exhaust leaks.
      Andrew
      1987 Olds Cutlass Supreme FE3X Clone
      EFI455/T56/9" w/ 4.30 gears
      __________________________________________________ __

Country Flag: United States
      I have Flowmasters on my Camaro right now (see sig), and I dont mind the sound. I LOVE the muscle car classic rumble. I have a feeling when I go with a BBC next year, I will be looking into Spintechs. Have always heard great things about them, well, as long as you like the louder, deeper muscle car tone.
      - Matt -
      '69 Camaro

Country Flag: Canada
      My experience so far is that they are very loud,and have worse drone than a flowmaster. I am running a fairly big inch pontiac with an oval X and have the largest ones I could fit under a 2nd gen. If I could do it over I would go with a Borla. They do have a very nice tone,and sound great going through the gears,just too loud and droney for a streetcar IMO.

If anyone has any experience with Muffler wrap or stick on heat shielding I am looking to try that first to mellow it a bit before i tear them off and throw them in the garbage.
      72 firebird , SD performance 464" 455,KRE D ports, EZ EFI,Dougs 1 3/4,3.5" custom oval exhaust,TKO600,Kore 3 C5/C6,DSE subframes,Full cage by Radical Rides(Thanks Dave,Johnny,Campbell,Bill,Lee and Gabby!!)

It's Spintechs for me.
      Attached Images Attached Images    

I had Spintechs and actually never noticed an annoying drone at freeway RPM as I have with other mufflers. Yes, they are loud. I had plenty of sound deadener which might have helped. I had 3" with an x-pipe. Here are some videos that captured some of the sound.

http://www.camarorestoration.com/gal...ssembly?page=3
      http://www.camarorestoration.com/gal...ssembly?page=4

There isn't much to see in this one but you can get a good listen to the rumble at idle

Had them on the 55. 3" with h pipe, dumped in front of rear tires. Sounded good, loud due to dumps, but they were a noticable cork on the 427. Swapping to fenderwell headers and bullets.
      1971 Camaro 427 in waiting
      1988 C1500 Daily Driver
      1955 Bel Air, blown BBC street car

I had them on my 68 bird conv for about two or three weeks. I hated them. Way too much drone and very loud.
      Some times I'm fast sometimes I'm half-fast

Here's mine.
      1971 Camaro 427 in waiting
      1988 C1500 Daily Driver
      1955 Bel Air, blown BBC street car

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com