Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Anyone use TunerPro for hacking GM ECM code?

If so how do you like it? User friendly? Any issues to be aware of that could potentially cause someone whos not a computer whiz to go insane?

TIA

For the curious that are thinking of doing some ECM hacking>
      http://tunerpro.markmansur.com/
      GMC Syclone (currently wrecked thanks to the typical rubber headed VA driver not paying attention to his red stop light...oh and he didnt have insurance either)
      #614 11.9 @ 113
      New stuff finished 08/06:
      4L80E trans w/TCI PCM
      Front: J&S UCA/LCA, QA1 coil overs
      Rear: Caltracks/Belltech drop leaves
      Empire drive line alum drive shaft
      Polished 17x9 F/17x11 R ZR1s with 275s/315s
      Syclone
      Tow rig

I've used tunerproRT, and I'm very comfortable with it and very happy with the results I was able to get, but I'm probably more experienced than average.

To be honest, a lot of it has to do with how GM set up the tables. Tuning a 1227747 ecu with it was kind of difficult, but tuning a 16197427 was very easy, and it was mostly because of the way things were done. the 7427 has places for you to enter displacement, injector size, etc, and scales accordingly. the 7747 does not, so you have to start with blind guesses of what will work if you're doing a custom setup.

Mark is a very friendly guy, which also helps. Of course, most of the diy-ers are eager to help people get started in this area.

We used the TunerproRT with craig moates' AutoProm, and my co-worker had a problem where his usb port couldn't power the autoprom, but it worked with my laptop just fine, so he used mine to tune. Craig moates is also very helpful, and spent a number of hours talking with my co-worker to get everything figured out.

Fuelie Fan,

Thanks for the input. Im just getting my feet wet with trying to use a GM ecm so Im looking forward to using RT but wanted some input from someone thats already BTDT so to speak.

Any issues that you know of with RT and the 749 (syty/turbo sunbird) ECM?

Thanks again....
      GMC Syclone (currently wrecked thanks to the typical rubber headed VA driver not paying attention to his red stop light...oh and he didnt have insurance either)
      #614 11.9 @ 113
      4L80E trans w/TCI PCM
      Syclone
      Tow rig

I'll take a look and see if anything jumps out at me, I've never tuned a sy/ty before...

Quote Originally Posted by Fuelie Fan
      I'll take a look and see if anything jumps out at me, I've never tuned a sy/ty before...
      Consider yourself lucky. Yeesh, this stuff makes my head hurt and I'll never figure out why I just dont ditch the ECM and go with a FAST system to save my sanity. Stubborn/hard headed I guess :shrug: .
      #614 11.9 @ 113
      4L80E trans w/TCI PCM
      Syclone
      Tow rig

Sorry it took so long to get back to you. THe hack I could find for that ecu was very similar to the 7747, so it wouldn't be quite as easy to tune as the later ecus (no injector or displacement scalars to get you started). But, it sounds like you've been doing this for a little while, what do you use currently?

As of right now Im trying to use Promgrammer which is not the most user friendly to someone who isnt a computer whiz (aka me). It requires fairly intense code knowledge which makes my head hurt so Im looking for something that simplifies things a little. A couple of syty ppl have went with Tunerpro RT but they seem to be tight lipped about it and not sharing much info about their experiences so far so Im looking for something that someone with decent technical abilities can learn. Im no computer whiz by any stretch but if I can get hold of some software that is remotely user friendly I can learn it and the Tunerpro stuff is just that from what Ive heard.
      #614 11.9 @ 113
      4L80E trans w/TCI PCM
      Syclone
      Tow rig

i am using tunercatRT. it is great on my 1993 sonoma. but i am having some of the same problems with a 1227165 in my brothers 86 t/a w/maf. my truck is sd.
      POLITICIANS & DIAPERS BOTH NEED TO BE CHANGED, AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

I actually just started messing around with GM ecm stuff this a couple of weeks ago. I am trying to modify the 7730 prom. I used WinBin and TunerPro. I liked them both. TunerPro had a lot more functions than Winbin, but both were pretty straight forward.

I just downloaded promgrammer, it's pretty basic huh? Tunerpro definitely makes things a little easier on you. I've never used TunerCat, but it's probably about the same as TunerPro. I'd suggest an upgrade to one of those two. And if you do upgrade, go with the RT, it's worth it.

I'm using a MAP 730 ECM with Tunerpro and the Ostrich. Works like a charm. I made a neat little vid today with my digital camera. Its not the best quality because its just a photo camera... but it does ok in movie mode. The sound is kinda iffy htough. It's 15 megs, does anyone know who to ask to host it?

Country Flag: United States
      I use tunercat for my 90 sd system with an accel superram and a 400 solid roller cam motor. It works well for me and there is a lot of capability in the GM ECU's. At your hp level it is probably a good inexpensive solution, but there are some limitations for higher rpm. Lots of used TPI speed parts are available these days. Regardless of which system you use a wide band sensor and some good data logging capability is very helpful for tuning.

Good luck

I am using a hacked bin called super aujp. One of its benefits is that it has an extended VE table to 6400 rpm. The only problem I have right now is what happens when I go past 6400 rpm and trying to get my 30 LB. injectors to support 400 rwhp. I may have to use fuel pressure as a crutch to get it to spray more fuel, but I think even at 50 PSI I might fall short. I'll have to see what it does on the dyno. What injectors are you running, and what kind of power numbers are you putting out? if you know? Thanks!

Country Flag: United States
      I'm using 37 lb Lucas injectors. The disc type are supposed to allow a little bit larger injector and still have a clean idle and they seem to work with my combination. They react faster than the Bosch type. They are a little bit overkill, but I wanted capability in case I go to a single plane and bump up the hp. There are endless discussions about optimum injector size as you probably know.

I have not dynoed my motor so I cannot tell you exactly how much power it makes. Similiar combo's are typically in the 480 to 520 hp range, but I can't say for sure where I am without data.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com