Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

Master Cylinder Install - Wilwood

I have a few questions about a Wilwood master cylinder install.

I ordered a kit for a Willwood master cylinder and hydroboost for a 69 firebird.

Wilwood 260-8556-B master
      3023 Wilwood Hydroboost

I'm installing it right now and don't want to do things twice, so I have a few questions.

1) Is this little rubber boot on the master cylinder shaft necessary? Is it some sort of seal? When I install it, it gets all scrunched up inside the hydroboost housing and doesn't look right. Should I install it on the MC first?

2) Do I need to make my own gasket for the interface between the master cylinder and the HB unit? Seems strange that this setup wouldn't come with a gasket.

3)
      I did some measuring and don't think I need this little extension piece. Without it, it looks like there will be a ~1/8-1/4" gap between the HB pusher and the bottom of the hole of the Master cylinder unit. I'm guessing there is supposed to be a little gap so the HB arm will retract all the way without touching the master cylinder piston.

Happened to be surfing through (feeding my auto addiction) (!)

I happened to be surfing through and saw this - yes, my name is Paul, and I have an auto addiction.

Wilwood hydroboost? TYPO..! Hydratech Braking Systems Model # 3023 http://www.hydratechbraking.com/GM_1stgenF_Body.html

The pics don't show it all too clearly, but I recognize that you have one of our latest systems using the improved 2011 Bosch production units! I'm curious to know what your feedback may be of the level of finish, quality, and overall preparation? You might not see it right off (especially in these pics), but there are over 6 hours of highly skilled meticulous show preparation that goes into each system during production. Something most people don't know is that I personally do all of the final assembly and preparation / detailing / order review, so your feedback falls right on the target.

Here are the answers to your specific questions:

1) The rubber boot is provided with the Wilwood MC in case you where planning on running this MC in a manual brake application in an underfloor mounting (where it might be exposed to road grime). It is not used in a power brake application (neither vacuum nor hydraulic assist).

2) There is no gasket, or need for such, between the master cylinder and the brake assist unit. The master cylinder is to bolt directly to the face of the brake unit - metal to metal.

3) This Wilwood MC design is dimensionally a '68-'76 C3 Corvette MC, running the early / deep GM MC pushrod spec. Wilwood provides that aluminum spacer bullet / slug with their MC in case you were possibly running a late / shallow GM pushrod spec. Our system # 3023 is set up for use with the early / deep GM MC pushrod interface, so the spacer is not needed in your installation. The above being stated, take the rubber boot and the spacer bullet / slug and toss it into your spare parts bin as extra unneeded parts with this combo. The Hydratech Model # 3023 is an out of the box bolt on "plug n play" for the Wilwood 260-8556 MC.

Here is some further related reading:

http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=17060

You have one of our latest HIGHLY IMPROVED models, so let me know what you think.
      There IS a difference - Thank you for choosing Hydratech!

Paul M. Clark
      Founder / Master Engineer

Hydratech Braking Systems ®
      www.hydratechbraking.com

Wow, talk about some customer service. Way to go paul. Now I need to save some pennies for mine in the future!
      Robert
      My sloooow build thread...https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...hlight=Orngasm

"If happiness is in your destiny, you need not be in a hurry."

If I can only convince myself of this!

When you dig up a tech response thats 8 years old and is exactly the situation you were searching LOL

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com