Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      2nd Chance Camaro - Removing the Front Clip & Exhaust

Removing the Front Clip & Exhaust
      Posted: April 26, 2011 www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Okay it's time to start posting some pictures.

Since safety is a big concern for me. The first thing I did was make a quick call to Race Ramps. I ordered up a set of 12" fixed height wheel cribs and an adjustable set of 12" wheel cribs. It's amazing how nice these cribs are.

With the car on the wheel cribs I was able to get under the car and inspect the floors and work out a game plan. The first thing I need to do was remove the exhaust as I had already sold it and then start looking for rust problems.

Scott (proTour73) was kind enough to come over and lend me a helping hand. He said it brought back memories of his restoration. Scott had the front end off in no time. I think he was hungry and I told him I was buying lunch at the local Mexican Restaurant so he worked really fast.

Found some rust. Time to see if I can find some NOS sheet metal.

You can see that Scott had the front clip completely removed before I figured out how to get the exhaust off in one piece. It almost made it up and over the rear differential. Sadly I had to remove it so I could get the exhaust out. Not a big deal as all of the bolts came off with ease.

After a good days hard work this is what we ended up with. Not bad for 2 guys in 4 hours and that included lunch.

fuel injected Media - Revolution Industries, www.rev-in.com
      www.kdhotrods.com www.recoveryroominteriors.com www.carterhickmandesigns.com www.ridetech.com www.edelbrock.com
      www.autometer.com www.bowlertransmissions.com www.billetspecialties.com www.kore3.com www.americanautowire.com
      www.afcoracing.com www.techflex.com www.designengineering.com www.quickclips.org www.mikenorrismotorsports.com
      www.hoodpins.net www.goodmarkindustries.com www.twistmachine.com www.kicker.com www.modoinnovations.com
      www.cascadeaudio.com www.wmcdesigns.com www.seatbeltplanet.com www.precisionbilletconcepts.com
      www.crossmembers.com www.protekpowdercoating.com US Collision & Autobody
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

2nd Chance Camaro - Let the Project Begin[RIGHT]

Let the Project Begin
      Engine & Transmission Removal -/- G-Force Crossmember
      Posted: May 13, 2011 www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Happy Friday the 13th to all of my friends

Since the rear differential had to be removed so we could remove the exhaust. I figured I would install a set of 3" lowering block so I could get an idea as to how low the car was going to be once I installed the new Ride-Tech suspension.

This is exactly the height I am looking for with the car. Low enough to look cool and still plenty of clearance to be able to be driven on the streets near me.

Reference picture - Lets see how old my girls are when I finish this project. Anyone want to make bets as to how old they will be once I finish this project !!!

Not only did she win Young Author for the entire 4th grade she is not afraid to get under the car and drain the fluids.

Engine removed and even sold to Ron. Ron ( www.hoodpins.net ) is going to put it in his 70 Z28 project ( www.camarorsx.com ).

Ron this picture is for you. Yes, my floor actually gets dirty.

All done for the day and cleaned up time to ride the Bike.

A couple years ago I had the pleasure to meet Stacy David (( http://gearztv.com/ )). Talk about a down to earth nice guy. I had just watched his show and they introduced a new product from G-Froce Crossmember www.crossmembers.com . He said it was a super nice product and I should look them up on my next project. So I took his advise and I called the Guys at G-Force crossmembers. I told them about my project and they said they had a crossmember that would work perfectly.

One week later this crossmember showed up at my shop.

This special modified crossmember is perfect and talk about hugging floor and offering perfect ground clearence.

I can't wait to show you guys pictures of the crossmember under the car.

Pictures hosted by www.garagescene.net
      marty-mj
      GarageScene.net High Speed Welding KDHotrods RecoveryRoomInteriors WegnerAutomotive Autometer Ride-Tech

Can't wait to see more!
      Joe Hinds

2nd Chance Camaro - Cleaning & more Cleaning & New LS1
      Cleaning & more Cleaning & New LS1
      Posted: May 25, 2011 www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Good Morning all,

Since I am not a big fan of a dirty work shop it was important to me to get the chassis as clean as I could. Before I began mocking up parts on the car. I spent a few hours with my daughters cleaning all of the oil & grime off the subframe. Seems they are more then willing to spray a cleaner on the car, but not so willing to scrub the grime off the car.

I stripped as many parts as I could off the subframe before the cleaning actually started.

Safety Safety Safety. I can't tell you how much I like the Race Ramp safety block they built for me. Gives you a little more confidence when your working on the car in the garage by yourself. I surely don't want any of my family members to every find me stuck or godd forbid dead under my car.

I removed the drives side coil spring without any problems. However, next time I am going to just cut the coil springs instead of using a spring compressor. My wonderful Snap On spring compressor actually broke when I was removing the passenger side coil spring and of course I was straddling the spindle when it let go. Talk about scaring the crap out of me.

No Reason for this picture other then the floating wrench.

The previous owner was unable to figure out why the car wouldn't start. I have a good guess as to why it wouldn't start. When the motor mount broke it also took out the fuel line.

Finally ready for cleaning.

Engine degreaser and a some good old elbow grease.

All done and ready to play with some new Parts.

When I took out the old shims I put them back in the same location. It's a good place to start with the alignment.

More parts to pack up and take to my warehouse. I am running out of space in my garage.

Time to open up some of my Christmas Presents.

Passenger arms went on smooth as butter. I would have worked on the other side but the guys were going for a ride so off to the trails I go.

I spoke with Travis ( Kenny Davis Hot Rods ) and he told me he had an LS1 sitting in the shop and I could buy it. So I bought it and two weeks later it was in my warehouse with all of my other parts.

The motor has about 9,000 miles on it and should be perfect for this build.
      Anyone need a set of Z06 Exhaust Manifolds

and I found another thing my daughters like to do.

Yep they painted the transmission housing.

As I said is past posts. I've been collecting parts for this car for years. I pick up this intake from Barry Grant he had

listed it on lateral-g.net and I new I was going to need one for my next build.

So on the shelf it went.

pictures hosted by www.garagescene.net
      marty-mj

Looking good Marty! Can't wait to see this one come together, last project was awesome!
      *Jeff*
      Project Salty - 1964 4 door Malibu, beaten, neglected, red headed foster child
      Cammed LQ4 / T56 Swap Project Thread <-click to read! 😁

looks great so far! keep up good work!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

When ya get done with Scottie...send him on down to Va.....LOL

Ya'll are gettin some stuff done in a hurry.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

2nd Chance Camaro - Billet 2nd Gen Front Mount battery Tray[RIGHT]

Billet 2nd Gen Front Mount Battery Tray
      Posted: Jun 20, 2011 www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Good Morning all,

It's amazing what collects inside of these cars. Hard to believe the passenger side was full of vegetation and it had little more then surface rust. So far I am very happy with this car.

Top side of the Quarters have some surface rust. Shouldn't be a problem for the media Blaster.

All that is left for me to remove is the rear bumper and Deck lid. Then I can actually start mocking things up on the car. I can't wait !!

At some point in this cars life it took a little hit to the drivers side rear. The body work they did back then was not that good as you can see in the pictures below.

It's hard to tell in this picture but the floor still has a wrinkle in it.

New Project - Billet Battery Tray ( www.hoodpins.net)

Since this car is truly going to be a driver and I really couldn't care less about putting the battery in the trunk. I wanted a nice billet battery tray up front to put an optima battery in. So I called up Ron at www.hoodpins.net and told him that we need to make a billet battery tray. He agree and off he went to his computer.

Here are a couple pictures of the prototype.

If there is enough interest I will make a few extra for people.

marty-mj

Nice battery tray. Looks like you are making some good progress Marty! Car looks to be pretty solid for the year.
      1970 RS/SS350 139K on the clock:
      89 TPI motor w/ 1pc rear seal coupled to a Viper T56 via Mcleod's modular bellhousing w/ hydraulic T/O bearing from the Viper, 12 bolt rear w/ 3.73 gearing, SC&C upper control arms, factory lowers with Delalums, C5 brakes at all four corners, Front Wheels 17x8's with Sumi 255/40/17 and Rear Wheels 17x9's with Sumi 275/40/17.
      Brief description of the work done so far can be found here: http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112454

Battery Tray

Quote Originally Posted by Syborg TT

If there is enough interest I will make a few extra for people.

I'm in for 2 of them..... Here are a few shots of the tray in my Z28

It fits very nice!

Ron

"If at first you don't succeed Skydiving is not for you"

1970 Z28
      Scott Mock C6 Subframe, Ridetech RJoint 4 link
      LSX454
      Anvil Auto - through the build

Great progress so far.
      Looking forward to more pictures and details.

2nd Chance Camaro - Installing the Ride Tech Front Suspension

Installing the Ride Tech Front Suspension & DEI Boom Mat
      Posted: July 25, 11 www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Good Morning all,

Steady working on the car just haven't had the time to post up pictures it's hard to believe how far behind I am on updates.

Some of the little things you need to do when installing the Ride Tech lower controls arms. You are going to have to trim the rubber grease boot so they can tuck nicely in the lower arm ball joint pocket. Ride-Tech did a nice job planning for this.

Once Installed they look perfect.

The upper arm went on just as easy as the lower arm on the passenger side.

I wanted to know what the ride height would be once I put the car back on the ground. So I asked Dennis over High Speed Welding made me up a couple mock up shock rods so I could set the ride height.

When I went to install the lower control arm on the drivers side the bushing didn't fit in the frame. Most likely because the car still had it's original bushings and they just kept tightening the bolt to take up slack in the worn out bushings.

This is a cool little tool I made up years ago when working on Syborg. Just slip it in and open up the bolts evenly and it will do a good job of keeping everything square. Just make sure the washers are large enough to distribute the pressure.

Make sure you opened the gap up at least a 1/4" further then you need as the metal will spring back.

Lower control arm fit right in after I spread the lower control arm pocket

Funny in the old days ( late 80's - early 90's ) I would have got out the dead blow hammer and just beat it in. Most likely damaging the paint, the bolts and my skin. However hitting things with a hammer sometimes just make you feel better.

Checking the fully compressed height - wow is the car going to be low.

When I was at the Good Guys Columbus show I headed over to DEI to check out there new sound & heat insulation product. Talk about a full line of stuff at 1/2 the cost of other guys. I can't wait to start installing this stuff.

www.boommat.com

marty-mj

looks good so far, nice to see your girls are interested in helping, my 11 year old sister helped me put the bumper on my old pickup
      Tyler

Man this thing is gonna be nice. Have any plans to sell those stock seats?
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

2nd Chance Camaro - Playing with Ride Height & a Few NOS Parts

Posted: July 26, 11 www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Good Morning all,

I felt the need to play with the ride height on the car so the static rods needed to come out so I could make them adjustable.

Desired ride height

Talk about a bad hair day or should I say lack of hair day.

A few new NOS Parts (( Inner Fenders are 4-Sale 12-15-18 Update ))

NOS Passenger Side fender

marty-mj

2nd Chance Camaro - BF Goodrich Tires are in the Garage

BF Goodrich Tires are in the Garage
      Posted: Sept 02, 11 www.2ndchancecamaro.com

Good Morning all,

Getting ready to take the car to the Media Blaster.

Everything just seams to easy with this car.

More Vegetation

Found some Surface rust on the underside of the roof. Hopefully the media blasting will take care of it.

I will be dropping off the front clip first at the blaster. I am not a big fan of working with parts that are dirty and rusty.

Found some Bondo - okay a lot of Bondo ......................

Eak !! -- Maybe I will build a Rat Rod instead.

and finally the Tire Rack.....

www.boommat.com
      marty-mj

Man, takes me back about 8 years from when I did my dad's '73. I like it!!
      66 Mustang "Project: Ballin on a budget"
      89 Mustang "Box Wine"

u want to let me borrow some times hehehe
      keep the wheels a spinning and the Beavers a grinning(burt reynolds-smokey and the bandit)

Quote Originally Posted by craigs73 View Post
      u want to let me borrow some times hehehe
      you can borrow the 295's as long as you leave some green
      marty-mj

any build tips or pics of that wheel rack?
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com