Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Want ABS - Does anyone besides ATS make spindles to except F Body hubs?

I want to use the ABS from my LS1 donor car but want to keep cost down. I have the F body hubs with sensors that I would like to swap into a set of spindles for my 64 Skylark A body. I know I can buy the complete AFX spindle/hub set up but was hoping for a cheaper route.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Country Flag: United States
      No
      The design is by ATS and unless you adapt Corvette parts which dont work for that body style and require a major redesign to work, its cheaper to run the ATS
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

I thought about it too but what are going to do about the rear end? I have a 69 with a F body setup that I decided against due to the rear setup....

There are two ways that I can overcome the rear end issue:

One would be to have the '02 Camaro rear end narrowed. From what I've learned that is no easy task and requires that you stay with the same tire size unless the gears are changed.

What I am opting to do is to have a Ford 9" built to my specs. The axle and housing ends will be the same as the '02 rear and except the e-brake sensor set up off the '02. It will have Moser axles with the sensor rings installed. Cost - around $1000 without the gear section.

I'm using the '02 gage cluster and column so to go with a little taller tire than the '02 had and still maintain speedo accuracy, I will change to a slghtly different gear ratio in the 9". That will keep the factor RPM at any speed.

By keeping it all together, I can maintain ABS, traction control and even cruise control. That's my theory anyway. We'll see if it all works out.

I did pretty much the same thing with my axle, but I wanted to stick with the Ford housing end and aftermarket brakes. One thing to keep in mind, you can modify the ABS signal by a speedo signal modifier. The ABS and VSS use a similar signals, so you can use the VSS modifier box to trick the EBCM to thinking it has the correct size tire. It would probably be a trial-and-error process, but it can be done.

Also, the traction control may not be something you want because in order for it to be fully effective, it needs to tell the PCM to retard timing or reduce throttle angle. It does work on my car, but it's nothing to brag about. Same goes for stability control; it works, but cuts pretty early (much like a production car). It's very strange to feel a '69 Camaro straighten itself out in a long sweeper!
      Matt Jones
      Mechanical Engineer
      Art Morrison Enterprises

As far as the rear axle goes, I need to change the ratio no matter what to go with the tremec 6 speed, so I might as well get something where I can easily change the ratio myself - like the 9". I plan on going with a big brake package as well. Correct me if I'm wrong but I figure it wouldn't make much difference what set up the axle ends are - Ford or Chevy, I should be able to get a brake package for either one.

Yes, I've read on a few forums about the signal for the ABS - tricking it - program this, that and the other thing and it should work. As you can tell I'm not much of a programming kinda guy, I too am a mechanical engineer by trade but stay away from the controls aspect. I figure if I can use most all of the '02 SS Camaro set up, I should be able to get all the luxuries that the Camaro had, including the ability to turn the traction control off. I also thought it should also be easier to trouble shoot if it's a factory set up.

I would like the ability to turn the ABS on and off though. Any thoughts on how this can be accomplished?