Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
      Country Flag: United States
      Well, results are inconclusive... We had one pull that showed 505hp / 670lb ft (no that's NOT a typo) at 5000 rpm. Then we couldn't back it up. Blew a charge pipe off, then this, then that...then we gave up. 3 pulls around 450hp / 510lb ft and we called it quits.

Under load, the turbo went into boost as soon as we cracked the throttle...

Boost (and hp) were falling off past 5000 rpm. We wre simply running out of air, so I'm wondering if these 2 turbos are really the same after all. Time to do some measuring...as there are no markings on either turbo. Won't help much on a twin setup if the turbos are different.

Going to concentrate on getting the twin setup together and getting the 327 built. Guess we're done for awhile.

Ray Kaufman - Wyotech Chassis Fab and High Performance Instructor. Words of Wisdom from an old master... at Asylum Custom Interiors website

OK, so it wasn't much of a mystery...

The turbo we used in the first tests (right) was a 60mm, this one was about a 54. No, I never sat them side by side, never had time or a reason to...

There are no more of the larger size around, so I'm going to swap the big one to the diesel guys for a matching small one. Probably take some time to get it all together. I'll keep you posted if there are any interesting developments...

Ray Kaufman - Wyotech Chassis Fab and High Performance Instructor. Words of Wisdom from an old master... at Asylum Custom Interiors website

Is this chassis dyno or engine dyno power?
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

Hey Jimmy, he is using the schools dyno I believe. No car involved.
      Lee Abel
      AFTERMARKET PERFORMANCE

1977 Chevy Monza 2+2:Project "Cheap Trick"
      1978 C10 Long bed , On air and trailer puller
      2006 Buell Blast ,Just a bike to ride and for mileage
      1966 Caprice 4dr Sports Roof fact.327/now 350/SOON 454???? Project "II Old,,,ZERO BUDGET OR LESS CAPRICE!"

That's what I figured, good power!!
      Jimmy

69 Camaro Twin Turbo'd
      58 Nomad 348 Baby Rat

http://www.fquick.com/shmoov69

I think you need to look at it as an whole system, not just the components. You're putting a dramatic amount more air mass at higher velocity and density through the motor. All those things add up to a non linear increase in friction, resulting in decreased gains at higher RPMs. If you boost limit the turbos with a waste gate then your effective boost goes down as RPM goes up. PSI at the waste gate - pressure drop through the motor = cylinder boost. Say at 3000 rpm you have 1 psi pressure drop through the motor (from turbo to spark plug) and then at 6000 rpm you have 2.5 psi pressure drop though the motor. You're effectively droping the in cyclinder boost by 1.5 psi.

This is why the new motors do so well under boost. The heads flow so well but they're under cammed in an NA setup. Add pressure and because they provide such an efficient flowpath, they make huge power numbers and can live with higher boost and CR.

Article on the original turbo setup is out in the Jan 2011 issue of Auto Enthusiast. Titled "Learning Curve". I don't know who Kevin Harper is, but he did a good job of rearranging a few words in the story I wrote...

Any news Ray?
      Jon Rasmussen
      Ex Team OLJ.
      '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Nessumsar View Post
      Any news Ray?
      Naah...politlcal infighting stalled it. Another dept. didn't like the fact that we got some ink with "their" borrowed turbos, I guess. I've kept rolling on the little stuff that I can control.

I'm back to teaching Chassis Fabrication come January, so I may get the Magnum down there to finish up the drivetrain and get the turbo headers built. We never could find any stock manifolds that would mount the turbos where they needed to be... The 327 is waiting on the piston/rod assemblies to get back from the machine shop. Maybe next class the High Perf guys will get it put together. The Stealth Ram and Edelbrock E-Tec heads have been match ported, and the adaptor plates for the dual 4bbl TBs are done.

I'll try to get a couple pics up if I get it all bolted together, but this one's gonna go quiet for awhile...

Just found this: http://editions.amospublishing.com/K...spx?d=20110101
      It's the online version of the magazine. If you click on the cover it opens. Article starts on page 30.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com