Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

A little re-cap of the experience....

You know this was all new and when Scott and Michael posted their idea I thought what the Hell that looks like fun... Responding immediately I offer to assemble a team.

The guys got back to me and I had already been on the phone establishing possible members for the run.... Of course the RatPack was first on the hit list and schedules allowed for members Brian Finch, Danny Thomas, Mark Own and Yancy Johns to participate. Greg Tholen (also from the RatPack) was unfortunately unable to attend at the last minute due to a family loss and our condolences go out to him and his loved ones for their loss. Also good friend and fellow Pro-touring member Matt Altamore was unable to attend due to other family matters and unfortunately couldn't make the trip...

Arriving in Knoxville, fellow RatPack member Bill Howell picked me up at the airport and brought me over to Shafi Keisler's facility to pickup my 73TA of which Shafi was just completing a transmission swap out to his new 450RS transmission... In typical RatPack style the gang was together and we went for something to eat and drink having what can only be called a great time as usual.... Alas the day was over and Bill graciously extended an offer to stay at his house that night....

Day one saw Yancy driving with me in the navigators seat. The Challenge was put up and the fix was in already LOL... You see Chad was sitting at Fort Bening (or something like that) when a miitary challenge was posted and our Still Camera was sabotaged by some un savory characters I'm sure LOL...

All kidding aside we looked at each-other and laughed.... I mean where the Hell do you find military hardware in the middle of the epee-center of civil war history?????? Of course Yancy had the answer,,,, you see it would appear there is a well healed friend of Yancy's that is involved in a privately funded aircraft museum in the area... We not only found the worlds largest air cooled piston aircraft engine in existence, but also a cut out version of the the same motor as well... It gets better too, not only do meet the challenge but I also get the opportunity to see "Jimi DooLittle's" Medal of Honor (awesome) and the Red Bull helicopter (the only licensed helicopter to fly upside down for stunt flying).....

You know that's when it hit me this isn't gonna be your average driving experience,,,, this is going to be a really awesome experience overall!!!!!

The following days saw us searching and dashing across Tennessee, Alabama, and Kentucky meeting the challenges and more importantly really seeing the region and it's beauty both culturally and physically.... We did a little smack talking with team 1 (who are going to loose ;-)) and had a great time joking back and forth,, and generally just enjoying the sights and history (and Shine/Hooch ROFLMAO)...

Clearly the event demonstrated two things to me as a team leader..... One- this can be done, and is better done with local knowledge (Yancy that was a real rabbit you pulled out of the hat pal and I'd have never even though of looking for it there)..... and Secondly- the ease of passing the package makes it good common sense to do so.... Finding the remote hidden challenges/jewels made this way to much fun,,, having local knowledge makes seeing what is out there even more probable/better and only takes one day.... That means you don't have to book to much time away from work to participate and be a part of the fun.....You all need to enjoy just how crazy good this event is...

Driving with friends is absolutely a blast and I can see why they use to talk about the driving holidays of the 40's and 50's with such reverence...... We've all been told time is our biggest asset and to use it wisely..... Well screw what the marketing guru's have to say doing everything in double time,,,, I just invested in some of the best easy going time of my life with the good fortune of true friends!!!!!
      Thanks to you all for that life opportunity.....

P.S. Shafi, that tranny is awesome and made the driving much more enjoyable pal,,,, I told the officers to forward the tickets to your office good buddy...
      Last edited by tazzz25906112; 10-17-2010 at 02:31 PM.
      Carbon Kustoms Limited
      A.K.A. Albert from Toronto

Country Flag: United States
      What can I say, I almost felt a tear run down my face after reading this....ROFLMAO! It is true, this has been the best experience getting out in an old car and just cruising through towns & having people running around asking about the car & breaking necks every road we went down. But I hate to burst your bubble Team 2, in case you didn't know you LOSE by default....I mean after all your team leader is Canadian.....LOL...just kidding Albert. :0

Best of LUCK to both Teams!

Hey Albert, just went over to http://roadtourexpress.com/ and voted. Looks like you guys had a ball, really sorry I couldn't make it. Really cool idea for a rally, hope I can work it out next year. Ron
      Ron Schwarz

Thanks Ron, it was a blast and it would have been great to have you allong..... You'll really need to try this when time permitts because it truely is a blast bud...
      Carbon Kustoms Limited

I expect they'll be doing more of these Road Tours- and if one happens here in the Midwest I'd love to be involved! I know the car will make it...and I can take a photo or two. This is a cool idea and I hope it really catches on.
      Scott Parkhurst

2011 Car Craft Real Street Eliminator Winner

Thanks for the kind words Albert. I wish I could have made it. Next time buddy,Next time! See you soon!
      Greg Tholen
      GT Motorsports
      Dealer for Wilwood,Baer,Viking,Moser,BMR,Earl's
      (937)763-7272

Scott you should count on it because this ""Way to much fun"" for it not to catch on in a big way,,, just drop the boys a note on the "Road Tour Express" website and keep an eye out for communication from them....

Greg, again our condolences from the whole gang pal,,,, we 'll tear things up and catch the next tour buddy.
      Last edited by tazzz25906112; 10-25-2010 at 08:17 AM.
      Carbon Kustoms Limited

I was just wondering if any of the other winners have received there prize yet? I haven't or even heard anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Eddie View Post
      I was just wondering if any of the other winners have received there prize yet? I haven't or even heard anything yet.
      Thats a little concerning eddie. I would hope they made good on the commitments.

I look forward to thr Road Tour Express comming to Cali the end of this month.

Oh and gret job tazzzz! I love the narrative on the videos. Good stuff!

Good News.....I received my prize last week. With Holley getting ready for Sema back in Nov. & then the Holidays over Thanksgiving & Christmas/New Year it got lost in the shuffle....but things are all GOOD NOW....No problem & best of luck to the new teams in the new road tour express out west!

Good to hear eddie. Good job on the tour, I have been watching the videos to see what to expect.

You'll have a blast Mark. My brother & I had fun running all the back roads & getting tons of thumbs up & what not everywhere we went. The challenges is whats really fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Eddie View Post
      You'll have a blast Mark. My brother & I had fun running all the back roads & getting tons of thumbs up & what not everywhere we went. The challenges is whats really fun.
      No doubt! I expect it will be a blast. I am just ham enough to pull it off.
      I haven't decided on me co-pilot yet, I need to ponder that just a lil more.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com