Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

69 Firebird Project

Hey Guys,

Well here it goes…..The start to a new project. This is a pretty good foundation for my plans with this 1969 Firebird. This is around a ten year old restoration. The body is solid no rust..all metal. I updated the engine this past spring and also put SSBC disc brakes on the front. The engine is a 463 cu in w/eagle rotating assembly/mahle pistons with turbo 400 trans. The engine and trans are coming out going with Ls1/T56. Even bigger brakes, suspension upgrades, paint, wheels/tires and interior in the works. I am going to be able to get a good start in the next two months of stripping and disassembly. Any pointers, ideas, suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I am steering away from original restorations and haven't had much experience with pro-touring style.. Although, I am excited and think this will be awesome project. I will be looking for suspension parts. control arms, coil overs, wheels, etc., and interior components. I think I have found a donor engine and trans 2001 Camaro thats salvaged from reared collision for nearly nothing with 56k miles. My engine is up for sale I have all the spec sheets and receipts I will entertain offers. It will be a month or so before the engine comes out. Thanks Everyone!

Name:  IMG_0342.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  99.1 KBName:  IMG_0341.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  457.0 KBName:  IMG_0343.JPG
Views: 656
Size:  141.5 KBName:  IMG_0349.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  228.8 KBName:  IMG_0348.jpg
Views: 656
Size:  276.7 KB

Correction the Salvage Camaro I found is a 2002!

Man oh man.... You are starting out with AAA condition car. Do your homework as far as the build is concerned. Ultimately you end up with a far better result. Good luck.

Its nice to see another '69 Firebird get the modernizing treatment. Stock vehicles are ok for some, but nothing better than doin some upgrades. I have found the biggest help to be to just dive in. Each obstacle I tackle I am a little leary on making permanent modifications, but once I get started I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Feel free to check out my build
      Daniel
      1969 Firebird LS3/T56

Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/threads/...quot?highlight=

looks like a cool build. Are you going to attend any of the ASCS events next year with the car?

Thanks guys! I think I will try to attend one or two ASCS events..Pigeon Forge Run to the hills and maybe another. I have made little progress last night. I pulled the grill,headlight assemblies and lower valance. This weekend I will add another photo or two of the disassembly progress. Im taking my time categorizing and labeling everything I take off at this point.

take a look at the DSE Southern Slam in April at Carolina Motorsports Park, its a great event as well.

11/16/2013 update

Here is a little update from my progress this weekend. I pulled the valance,grill piece also the electric fan and the hood latch. I haven't found issues with anything so far. There is a little surface rust on some things but nothing major. I found that all of the bolts were easy to remove. Still plugging along!
      Attached Images Attached Images            

Looks like you have a clean car to start. My suggestion is do the motor/tranny swap/suspension first, and leave the body alone. That way you can enjoy the car sooner.
      Tu Ho
      Firebird V2-LS swap

Update 11/22/2013

Here is another picture to go along with the progress!
      Attached Images Attached Images  

Take your time to make sure you keep all the hardware together for the front end sheet metal/fiberglass/rubber pieces. This is one of the hardest front ends to put back together- too many pieces! Took me a few hours to get it together and lined up.

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com