Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Newbie with a 53 Studebaker Coupe

Just wanted to say hey and I am new to the pro touring world. Old drag racer with a history of narrowed 9" in a tubbed Mustang back in the 70's. Need direction for my new project..pro tourning a 1953 Studebaker Coupe. Clean body shell and floors gutted. All I know is low, fat tires ,big brakes and pump gas motor. Any ideas? Chassis? Suspension?

Country Flag: United States
      Post up some pics. Probably cusotm make all your own suspension. Is this a full frame car or a unibody?
      Welcome!!

It has a full frame but I prefer not to use it. I have seen one fitted with a Art Morrison unit from their Tri-5 setup. Thanks..pics soon!

I have a picture in my garage of a 53 salt flat. They look great slammed with a chopped roof. There are a few full frames could you have built for you.

Here a pic of what I will be starting with and a 3D model that got me thinking.. minus the pro-stock hood scoop. oddly enough if you look closely, this one was going to be a salt flat car with one laid back headlight opening for cleaner air flow. I wish that it wasn't done but I basically got the car for free. They still make a fiberglass front end and separate hood so...
      Attached Images Attached Images    

Nice man I like it
      Phillip
      64 Studebaker Daytona Twin Turbo- http://bit.ly/1SgxQ0g
      65 Cutlass F-85 - http://bit.ly/1W4lJm4

I like the laid back headlights. Throw in some mercedes lights.

Welcome! A young friend of mine has been building one for several years. Believe it or not, when he was about 10-11 years old he decided thats what he wanted to build to drive when he got his license! He's about to turn 16 and he's almost got the car drivable. He called this afternoon and said he may be able to drive it around the block this weekend.

Being on a teenager budget doesn't allow him to get an AME frame or things like that but he's done well buying what he can with money he earns and asking for things he needs for X-mas, birthdays etc. He's got a Nova subframe welded on holding a Chrysler 383 with fenderwell headers tucked in behind an aluminum radiator connected to a auto trans and a Chrysler rear. 4 wheel discs, fuel cell etc. He just bought himself a set of wheels and tires with money he earned working this summer. Funny to hear a 15 year old excited to be picking up Lokar parts for a Stude!

The big pic is from a few years ago and the thumbs below are where he's at now.. Oh, and the 59 is his YOUNGER brothers!!! LOL

welcome aboard!
      Kevin S. (overseas in Germany)
      1963 Chevrolet Impala 2d ht Coupe

www.CruznArt.com
      CRUZN - Automotive Artworks

Quote Originally Posted by NOT A TA View Post
      Welcome! A young friend of mine has been building one for several years. Believe it or not, when he was about 10-11 years old he decided thats what he wanted to build to drive when he got his license! He's about to turn 16 and he's almost got the car drivable. He called this afternoon and said he may be able to drive it around the block this weekend.

Being on a teenager budget doesn't allow him to get an AME frame or things like that but he's done well buying what he can with money he earns and asking for things he needs for X-mas, birthdays etc. He's got a Nova subframe welded on holding a Chrysler 383 with fenderwell headers tucked in behind an aluminum radiator connected to a auto trans and a Chrysler rear. 4 wheel discs, fuel cell etc. He just bought himself a set of wheels and tires with money he earned working this summer. Funny to hear a 15 year old excited to be picking up Lokar parts for a Stude!

The big pic is from a few years ago and the thumbs below are where he's at now.. Oh, and the 59 is his YOUNGER brothers!!! LOL

It is nice to hear our younger generation getting involved in working with their hands....bias to working on cars myself but I feel our kids are losing the experience and personal pride that comes with seeing a project through and doing it for the love of it instead of having it bought for them. It reminds me of myself some 40 yrs ago. I had a father who shared that philosophy with me as a youngster and I still have not forgotten it. Nice job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will get off my soap box now

I'm doing a 55( I have pics posted), and used C4 Corvette front and rear adapted to the stock frame, pretty staightforward and got a low stance without using air bags.

Good luck. Takes alot of patience.

Quote Originally Posted by flash_71ss View Post
      Good luck. Takes alot of patience.
      Ditto

No track width change on front or rear, I did have to flare rear fenders slightly, though. I'll get some closeup pics of front and rear so you can see what I did. I own a CNC machine shop, but all the work on the suspension with the exception of one piece was done with a bandsaw and MIG welder.

That would be awesome. I checked E-bay and the front/rears are pretty reasonable.

Here are some pics of my rear setup

Country Flag: Sweden
      I really like the 53-55 Studebaker!

Do You remember the article in "HotRod Magazine"?

"Rust Runners" see pics.

----------------------

55 stude,

It looks like it belongs there. Very nice job! No one would even notice the flare on the rear if you didn't tell anyone. I will have to put that on the list of things to consider. I am totally sold on using the front as I will not be going with a very wide tire and it looks like the front isn't an issue? Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by osdmike View Post
      I really like the 53-55 Studebakers!

Do You remember the article in "HotRod Magazine"?

"Rust Runners" see pics.

----------------------
      What's not to love!!!!!!!!!

Jack Chisenhalls car...I could not find a bigger pic

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com