Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Country Flag: United States

2.8 KB supercharger

Wondering if I could powder coat a KB S/C housing. I have the entire thing tore apart for a complete rebuild. I will have the ends taped w special tape to withstand 400* heat. Do I have to remove the black anodizing?

I'd call KB and find out if they powdercoat before or after machining the rotor housing. The heat from the cure may be enough to distort it.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

I'd talk to both KB and Magnacharger. I know Magnuson coats their rotors, and they're designed to wear the coating off when the rotors touch..but just barely, and only where they touch. Magnachargers really work well (relative to size) so they have a handle on the technology.

I'm pretty sure KB and Magnuson both use Eaton stuff, so there may be a lot in common between them. Both great companies with killer product and many years of experience. You could do well listening to their advice!
      Scott Parkhurst

2011 Car Craft Real Street Eliminator Winner

Finally got through to Kenne Bell today and he told me all I would have to do is protect the inside of the blower case because they have a .003 thick coating that cannot be added to. So the out side is fine to powder coat. So I talked to my powder coater today and he gave me some tape that will withstand the heat to cover any surface I do not need powder coated. Also 400* heat will not affect case!
      Cool now for a color I was thinking the color of my car. Mystic Teal Metallic., They have a color that matches great! What do you think should I keep it silver, or black? Fuel rails and valve covers also will be "MTM" . Bracket will be silver along with the intake, and block!

Do the teal metallic.

I have wanted a drag car with a purple 8-71 since I knew what a supercharger was.
      My candy dish is filled with razor blades submerged in Anti Freeze.

Supercharger is all taped off and off to the powder coater.

Different technologies Tim. Magnuson uses the Eaton roots-style rotor pack while the KB is a screw.

If the bottom of the housing is a sealing surface you may want to consider not having it powder coated. It will not be fun to try and get the powder coated surface to seal to the lower manifold. Don't forget to cover the discharge port as well. The powder will get into anything not covered and protected.
      Last edited by CarlC; 09-05-2010 at 12:13 PM.
      VaporWorx. We Give You Gas http://www.vaporworx.com

Advertise on Pro-Touring.com