Enter your username:
Do you want to login or register?
  • Forgot your password?

Login / Register

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
      Country Flag: United States
      I think you have the most detailed and thoroughly descriptive build thread that I have ever read . Makes me feel like a slacker with my one line sentences. I followed your build awhile back. Our family car growing up was a 70 Duster. Lots of memories there.

Thanks! I try to be educational and entertaining in my writing, as well as writing something that I would enjoy reading.

Thanks for following.
      Michael Crawford

1970 plymouth Duster back under construction:
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...uring-makeover

1987 GMC S15 https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...ct-drivabeater

Alright, first things first. I need to get better with the budget....
      I cant seem to keep track of what I spend lately. I know roughly, but need to get better about it.

Last budget: 9102.57

Money spent and made:

Sold the autometer gauges and adjustable shift light: -450
      Bought a full on speedhut revolution package (they had a sale, and I'm a sucker...) 625ish
      4 relay waterproof relay rack (80s GM) pull a part: 12
      Electric antenna: 5.50
      Experimental bilstien shocks:30
      Sold 340 leaf springs: -100 and a set of sacked 4 leaf springs
      LC1 wide-band 20
      25 feet 6 gauge cable and terminals for alternator: 27
      Rostra cruise control unit 75

That's the best I can remember....

New total: 9347.07ish

So, when we left off, I was having issues. It sorta ran, my laptop wouldn't connect properly to the ECM, the tune was wrong, and....

Well, I decided to start parting the car out while it was moved into the storage bay. I had a guy call me and ask me to build him a wiring harness. I had closed shop last year, and was no longer taking new customers. He convinced me. He also wanted a custom gauge cluster built just like mine. Now, one of the issues I had with my gauge cluster was that I found the white gauges tiring after a long drive. He didn't find the white gauges in his daily that way, and he loved the arctic white setup. So I sold him mine and ordered speedhuts. I love having warning lights, and with the small block mopar, and the EFI, there are just no extra ways without added complexity and failure points to do warning lights. Speedhuts have them built in. And they were black. And....

Anyway, I bought them, and started down the really steep part of the slippery slope.

Here they are in a quick duct tape mock-up:

And then I stuffed the thing back in the corner. And did thus:

i

In the process, I helped to design a new mopar product. Its a CNC aluminum bulkhead eliminator. Used the factory gasket, fits in the hole perfectly, and has a reinforcement plate on the outside. We actually made a run of them just like this, and if you want one, just ask. We haven't tested on anything but a-bodies yet, because That's all we own....

He also wants my leaf springs, so I sold them to him. I've been planning on building a custom pack with all the tricks I can throw at them, so this just spurred me on. Same with getting rid of the KYB shocks. To that end, I bought some used GM fitment bilstein shocks. The KYBs are up on the local craigslist, along with my big block torsion bars. That's all time for another post though.....

Anyway, the cuda left Saturday morning. Which meant than it was time for duster. But first I had to clean the shop. Which meant I had to move the duster. Spent the rest of the day trying to get it running again, culminating in letting the magic smoke out of the ECU and fouling another set of plugs. After picking tools and such up from the driveway (sort of lost my temper a bit...) I did some soul searching and talking with the wife. We decided that, as there is limited resources for the OBD1 GM ECM, and all the troubles I've had out of them in various uses over the years, and the incredible difficulty in tuning, and lack of tuners, to go megasquirt. So tomorrow, ill be ordering all the stuff for a full MS2 install.

Still didn't help the junkyard that my shop looked like. So I spent yesterday and today cleaning and reorganizing and moving the car. And helping dad replace a hot water heater in a crawlspace. That was fun....

As a point of reference, my wife and daughter got me the harbor freight wheel dollies for fathers day a few year ago. Last time I used them, I learned that the casters and ease of use left much to be desired. So before putting the duster on them, I re-greased all the bearings. They still suck. Once you adjust the direction of all 16 casters to point the direction you want to go with a 2x4 and hammer, its still a mother to push. On a clean, shiny floor. But we got it moved. And then cleaned. And cleaned. And...

I finished today by organizing all the parts that had been packed in the duster, removing the OBD1 harness and computer, and attempting to build a bi-xenon projector retrofit. Well, I built them, but I would have to cut clearance into the inner fenders for them to fit. Which makes it a no go, as it puts it directly into the path of water when in the rain. So, guess ill keep looking for reasonable priced alternatives. For now, the silver star sealed beams will stay, only with relays for added brightness.
      Michael Crawford

Last budget: 9347.07ish
      Money spent and made:

2 4 relay panels from Britain (why?) 52.40
      25 foot 6 gauge alternator charge wire, and terminals: 28.90
      2 add on relay blocks, and extra terminals 30.77
      8 dodge neon 5 pin relays, pull-a-part: 24
      Durango rear leafs, pull-a-part: 44
      MS2, 10 foot harness, cables, etc from diyautotune: 740
      Sheet metal from tractor supply 7:70
      1/8 npt fuel rated schrader valve, diesel o-rings 5.50
      Kenwood HD adapter and cable, GRM Forum member: 10

New total: 10,290.34ish

Ok, so I spent a bit of money.

More like a lot of freaking money. Holy crap, that escalated quickly.

Anyway, first, a very expensive picture. Ignore the LC1 in the picture, until I can test it good im not adding it.

And a picture of the schrader valve after a little explanation: I don't trust the mechanical pressure gauge. I've already had two fail, and if the Bordon tube fails, we get one heck of a BBQ going on. Id really rather not have that. So, this company I found, diesel o-rings.com, makes a 1/8 npt schrader valve adapter for some ford diesel to be able to use a normal fuel pressure tester on it. Which is perfect for my needs. I debated putting an electronic gauge in the car for constant monitoring, as well as a wide-band gauge and vacuum gauge.. I eventually think I probably decided not to add them. Because, lets be honest, do I really need them? If its running right, its running right. If its not, the gauges wont help me much. Just adds complexity, cost, and driver distraction. Which im trying to reduce here. A simple fuel pressure tester is fine for diagnostics and setting, as well as accurate enough. So, here's a blurry picture of a brass fitting sitting on my workbench.

So, now were on to wiring I guess. I have had people ask me to do a solid write-up of how to wire a car from scratch. Well, im not going to do that. There's books, websites, magazine articles, etc for that. What I will give here is some good tips and tricks that I have picked up after building over 30 wiring harnesses, as well as what products I tend to use and why.

First, lets talk about general planning.

This car will be fuel injected, air conditioned, cruise controlled, mid 90s level of technology, street car that will go on some tracks. So, to that end, some basic requirements are in order:
      1.Ease of service.
      2.Robustness.
      3.Water-proof.
      4.Future-proof

So, some of the things I will be talking about for my build are absolute, tee-total overkill. Like killing a fruit fly with an ICBM. Just fair warning: some of this would be ridiculous on another persons car. Hell, some of it is ridiculous on mine.

First, lets talk about battery. Mine is in the trunk, centered over the rear differential. It has a 0 gauge cable running from the positive side to the starter, and a remote kill in that cable. This is for ease of shut down, safety at the track, and ease of service on electrical should it become necessary on the side of the road at some point. For a remote kill to operate properly, it needs to shut ALL electrical down when flipped. This means that the alternator charge wiring and harness feed wiring need to be on opposite sides. Which means, by extension, that the alternator (at the front of the car) needs to go directly to battery positive terminal (at the back of the car). For this, I am using 6 gauge cable. Now, this is overkill for a 115 amp alternator. Its slightly large for a 140 amp (sometime soon), but is inexpensive in bulk. I use very finely stranded car audio amp power cable for this, as its very flexible, good bend radius, and cheap. The fine strands are the reason I up size slightly. I also use copper lugs when possible, crimping and dimpling them. I then use marine/adhesive heat shrink over the mechanical connection. The adhesive adds to waterproofing, and some mechanical pullout strength.

You'll also notice that I added convoluted tubing for the entirety. Id really rather not have a short in the alternator charge line due to abrasion, so I take every reasonable precaution when routing and then wrap it for another OCD layer of protection.

So, now we need to get the juice from the battery to the harness. On this car, im using 4 gauge amp wire from the battery kill, up the passengers side rocker, to the glove compartment. 4 gauge is way too much, really. But I had it. You will notice, again, wrapped in convoluted tubing for added protection.

The last battery connections are the basics of the ground system. In my experience, you can never have too many grounds. Also, the grounds can never bee too big. Even a ground wire carries current, so it needs to be the proper size or bigger to do its job properly. This car, I have a o gauge ground from battery to uni-body sub-frame in the rear. I have a 0 gauge from engine to front sub-frame, and a 4 gauge from battery to drivers side cylinder head. The 4 gauge is actually a little small for this, but I expect that it will NOT be taking much of the ground path amp load. Testing will prove/disprove this.

So, we've got a whole bunch of really big wires at this point, going to nothing. That's going to change in the next update, probably tomorrow night or the next night.
      Michael Crawford

"I use very finely stranded car audio amp power cable for this, as its very flexible, good bend radius, and cheap. The fine strands are the reason I up size slightly."

Actually Michael, your fine stranded cables are able to carry current BETTER than the coarse strands. Your understanding is a very common misconception. If you study electrical engineering, you discover that current is carried on the OUTSIDE of a conductor. It sounds strange, but that's the way it works. In other words, most the current isn't carried down the center of a heavy strand, but around the circumference of that strand. Therefore, the more strands, the more 'circumference' available to carry current.

Electricity does some weird stuff, eh?

I'll be interested in seeing how the Megasquirt works out. I've heard nothing but good about them. On my 68 Torino I'm building, I went with Holley's self learning throttle body system. Now, I'm not a fan of Holley, but they seem to have hit a home run with this one. I used it for two reasons... One, I will be basically starting a brand new car (some day!). New engine, trans, diff, etc etc. The last thing you want starting a new car is an engine that is way off on the tune and you have to fight. This is self learning and will allow the thing to run right quickly. Two, I am going to go SEFI after I get the car sorted out. This Holley system will allow that with nothing more than a software download. At that time, you have a completely programmable sequential port injection system with no additional computer control costs other than the injector harness.

Thanks for the reminder. I sometimes get ac and DC current mixed up.

I'm also looking forward to seeing how the megasquirt actually works.

I'm a lot closer to getting started on the megasquirt install. Hopefully tonight I'll get a chance to update.
      Michael Crawford

Quote Originally Posted by dusterbd13 View Post
      First, lets talk about battery. Mine is in the trunk, centered over the rear differential. It has a 0 gauge cable running from the positive side to the starter, and a remote kill in that cable....
      Michael, hope all is well. Any updates?

What are using for a remote kill in your battery cable?
      74 Duster 360 -> original 4 speed car, .99 TB's, 1.25" SB, RCD's, 245/45R17's, rear disk brakes and front 13" Cobra rotors with PBR PDC calipers, functioning CC retrofit

I have been meaning to update, but just not had the mental faculty after work.

Kill is a standard two pole drag switch.
      Michael Crawford

Keep posting updates - let us know how the megaquirt install works out!
      2005 LeMans Blue Corvette w/ T56 & Z51 & C6Z06 Brakes, Build Thread: https://www.pro-touring.com/showthread.php?64496
      2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY / Allison
      2014 Chevy SS LS3 / 4 Door

It's up and kind of running on megasquirt. So far, so good!
      Michael Crawford

Last budget: 10290.34ish
      Money spent and made:

Sold the 340 leaves -100
      Sold the big block torsion bars -200
      pst 1.08 tbars 230
      Qa1 adjustable strut rods: 180
      Spax adjustable shocks: 239
      2 inch blocks: 20
      Speedway leaf spring sliders: 69
      4x4x6x1/4 leaf spring slider steel 18
      Techflex f6 loom 50
      Plugs/wires/cap/rotor 25
      Spartan2 wideband and controller 100
      Sweet mfg u joint 53

New total: 10,974.34 ish

Long time, no updates. But I have an EXCUSE this time!!!

But it a pretty lame excuse, so I wont use it.

I also don't have a bunch of pictures, because I honestly didn't take them. I got engrossed in building the harness, and just kept going. I find wiring to be very therapeutic and zen-like.

So, first up is the suspension tweaks. I honestly always felt the car was under-sprung and over-damped with the kyb’s, 340 leaves, big block torsion bars, etc. My steering coupler also needed rebuilt again, and my adjustable strut rods were seized sold and had to be cut out to remove. So yeah, pretty rough. I sold what I could, scrapped the rest. The t-bars went to California, the 340 leaves went to Roy in exchange for his worn out stockers, and the strut rods are in the scrap metal bin. The kybs are in cold storage helping to hold the floor down. Anybody want fairly fresh KYB shocks?

So up front, I replaced the chopped up strut rods with qa1 adjustable because they were inexpensive, looked to be well engineered, and readily repairable should the worst happen. Coated them up with never-seize because the ends are steel and the tube is aluminum, and I know there is some issues with that when you add water. I also went with PST torsion bars, and spax adjustable shocks.

In the rear, I wanted to try something completely lunatic fringe. Taking a page from the circle track/road race guys, I'm experimenting. I wanted to try my hand a a custom built leaf pack, as well as try out sliders. So I did.
      I built, using Roy's worn out cuda springs and a set of junkyard durango springs, a 7 leaf pack with a spring on top of the main leaf to act as a traction/brake hop bar. They're right at 200 lb/in at the moment, so they may be too stuff. But with as simple as building the pack is, its easy to experiment with different leaves and lengths. The leaf pack I built wound up raising the car about 3 inches over where I had it on flipped hangars and 10 year old 340 leaves. I wanted about 1/2-1 inch higher, so we got too much. Grabbed a set of 2 inch lowering blocks at the parts store, and away I went!!

The sliders aren't finished yet, as I'm still arguing with the voices in my head about how to build the mounts. But I think I have a plan now. Maybe.
      Here's the mock up.

Ok, next up I guess is going to be the very verbose, very dry, completely un-entertaining and baffling wall of text about wiring. Feel free to skip to the end, as there will be very few pictures worth looking at until then.

After building the main power distribution system in the last post consisting of ground wires, distribution panels, alternator wires, etc, we now have to put it to use. This is done with plenty of little wires of various colors going to various things. And so....

On most harnesses I have built for the old cars, I have come to the conclusion (right or wrong) that I don't want all the current going through the ignition switch. Mostly because they aren't rated for what the updates are pulling now (there's really no empirical data on amp ratings that I have found, but charging systems of the day were 75 at the HIGH end. Smallest alternator I have installed lately is 105 amp. So yeah, don't want that being sent through a Chinese copy of a 40 year old design...) so I relay the whole system. I use a panel that I found on eBay from Britain of all places, and only sent a 3 amp load through the switch itself. Use the switch to fire 4 relays accessory1 &2 (30a ea) starter (30a) and ignition (30a). I like doing it this way. I use Chrysler relays from wrecked 90s era FWD mopars, as they are robust, cheap, and over engineered. I use the Bosch 5 pin relay wiring diagram found almost anywhere. As my daughter would say, “easy peasey lemon squeezy!”. I also tend, on my own stuff, to use EZ wiring 21 circuit harness kits. They suck horribly. Poorly laid out, indecipherable writing without glasses, and slightly undersized in some circuits. Also, no ground wires, anywhere. At all. And if you're counting on the contents of the box to have all the terminals you'll need, you're wrong. American autowire is a much better product in every conceivable way, except price. I use these as the cheapest source of bulk colored wire and a fuse panel I can find. Immediately upon removing the harness from the box, I cut every zip tie and unloom it from the way the manufacturer laid it out. Out of 10 times I have installed one of these, only once was it anywhere close to how I wanted it laid out in the car. Its just easier to get the hassle of rerouting it all out of the way at the beginning.

So, in this car, I needed effectively two separate wiring harnesses. The main chassis harness, which powers everything but the EFI, and the EFI. I designed it in such as way that there are only 3 wires that cross between the two: batter feed to both sets of relays, one wire from the ignition relay to the megasquirt relays, and a ground screw for the relays. Everything else is separate. Relays also act as a filter for electrical noise, so using them is very beneficial. I also needed separate fuses for the injectors, megasquirt, fuel pump, and wideband. This whole fuse block is powered from the main relay, which is powered from the ignition relay.

Anyway, here's a picture of the panel I made for the glove compartment to hold all this crap.

Now comes the part that either makes or breaks the whole job. Routing the harness. It needs to be accessible, but tidy and hidden in plain sight. Its one of those jobs that when done well is not noticed, even though everyone can see it. Its very daunting. My method goes through a TON of zip ties. I tend to string one circuit at a time. Typically I start with the ignition switch and relay power. Now, I've done enough harnesses that I have a general idea of how big the bundles will be, and how they will need to be routed. I also, before starting to string wires, locate ALL electrical components where they will live permanently. Then, its just a matter of playing connect the dots. I also make certain to leave enough slack in my wiring drops to be able to easily service things later. It sucks digging around under a dash for the gauge cluster connectors because you didn't leave enough slack to fit your hand between the instrument panel and dash frame.

Which brings me to my next topic: harness connectors. In most cases, there is no good reason to permanently wire a component. Most things WILL fail on a long enough time line, and having to cut them out of the harness just to re-splice things is tedious and unnecessary. I tend to use a variety of connectors. My preferred are GM wetherpack, and radio shack 12 pin computer power terminals. They are readily available almost anywhere, easy to assemble and disassemble, and carry up to 15 amps reliably (you can do 30 amp loads, but the terminals are harder to find, and I prefer a Packard style for higher amp loads.)

Anyway, here's some random pictures I took.

On this car, I decided to install a rostra cruise control unit. But I didn't want anyone to know it. So I mounted it under the dash, feeding the cable out through the firewall with the wiring harness. Tucked up real nice, with nice cable routing. I also deleted all the extra wires that made it universal, just to clean things up. A lot of folks don't do that, and I understand why, but I'm not one of those folks.

Engine bays are where I take special pride. A well done harness isn't quite what the import kids used to call a wire tuck, but it kind of is. Its all hidden in plain sight. The type of wiring loom must coincide with the build style, the wires must be accessible but hidden, and they must be protected from damage. Factory usually wasn't the cleanest looking, but if you follow their suggestions, they'll get you pretty close. They did it for maximum ease of service and assembly. But also least succeptiable to damage.

On this car, I've had three different harness coverings on three different harnesses, factory was covered with convoluted tubing in high school. The last Restoration, it got wrapped with summit extreme tape, a non adhesive glossy black silicone tape. This time, I wanted something similar to the painless powerbraid. Techflex f6pro is on amazon for cheap, and I like it. Wrap the ends with the summit tape, and hide it in plain sight. See what I'm talking about? The entire engine bay is wired except plug wires in this picture. Play find the harness...

I also am a huge fan of light upgrades. I have a very hard time seeing at night, and old cars typically lack in the light department compared to new stuff anyway. So I build a set of bi-xenon projector retrofit headlights out of a jeep JK set of factory housings, and mirimoto 6.0 projectors. Unfortunately they looked like alien boobs, so I scrapped them and am throwing the projectors into the daily. Ill find a set of cibie e-codes and some good bulbs for this one.

On the topic of light upgrades, I do enjoy good interior lighting as well. Lately, I have been using these .96 cent 1x2 flat LED self adhesive panels for interior lights. They work well, though they don't always have consistent light color. This shipment was bluish. But, they are nearly invisible when placed properly. In this car, I've got two for trunk lights, and 4 for foot well lights in the interior. Speaking of interior, I finally adapted the neon hand brake lever, and dyed the console black. Only been meaning to do that for a couple of years. Additionally, I added a USB charge port to the console up near the cup holders. I still have to figure out how to hook up the parking brake handle to the rear drums, but, one step at a time.

Before we get to the gauge cluster, lets talk about the stereo. I wanted good front sound stage, decent bass, and high quality audio. So, to do this, I'm using a kenwood ez500 deck, with the HD radio add on module, some aftermarket power antenna, Memphis belle 6x9 3 way in the rear deck, blaupunkt 5.25 components in the kicks, some generic 4 inch speakers in the factory 4x10 opening in a plate made out of a mudflap, and a kenwood 3 channel amp powering the kicks and a first generation JL 12w6 wired to a 2 ohm load in a truck box. I need a bigger box for the sub, and possibly more power to push it. It ALMOST has the right amount of bass response.

Ok, if you haven't died of boredom or headed off to YouTube to watch cat videos, there's only two sections left.

First, gauge cluster. Remember I had sold the autometers and bought speedhuts? Yeah, they didn't fit. Not even close. So I wound up using the original metal pieces from Roy's cuda that held the lens to the bezel, modified for the speedhut gauges to sit in like gauge cups, glued to the back of the bezel with the gauges mounted. They are not serviceable without breakage. So hopefully they don't go bad. I then had to bore the center hole considerably to get the tach to mount anywhere close to where I wanted it, and make a lexan plat to hold it. Came out pretty good. Shot the whole bezel in black, re-installed my LED indicators, used a silver sharpie to color the letters for the switches, and jammed it home.

Last section I will be discussing my megasquirt experience up until this point. Now, mind you, I'm nowhere near a rocket surgeon. My computer skills are limited to word documents, Al gores internet, and listening to music. I can occasionally defrag a hard drive, and install a program, but I usually have to look up how to do it. I'm a borderline Luddite. I didn't grow up with computers, hate my smart phone, and believe skynet will be the death of us all when it gains sentience. But I have a small block mopar running on megasquirt. It still runs poorly, but dammit, it started up on the first spin of the key after adding gas to the tank and adjusting fuel pressure. So, if I can do it, anybody can.

Now, it isn't so intuitive as to be able to do it by myself. I'm just not that bright, nor is my reading comprehension involving computer things that great. The manuals are fantastic in guiding you through, once you figure out which manual you need, and read it about a dozen times. Then begin to follow the directions specific to your install. Realize you have no idea what the hell you are doing about the time you get to this picture:

Go back and read some more. Twice. Repeat as necessary until you have all the basic settings flashed to the megasquirt on the workbench, and tunerstudio responds appropriately to the jimstim.

Hook the ecu up in the car, make vroom noises while you play around making sure that sensor readings look reasonable. When they don't, research why. You probably missed switching a setting somewhere, and each setting has a domino effect on the rest. Again, repeat as necessary. After a while, turn the key and see what happens. Hopefully you get real vroom noises coming from the tailpipes, not your vocal cords. If not, keep digging around in the manuals and over at msextra.com forums.

I will also take this opportunity to say, without ANY reservation, to buy your stuff from diyautotune. Matt Kramer over there is the only reason I've gotten this far. He has held my hand and spoon fed me every step of the way. The forums at msextra and GRM have also been a huge help so far.

I haven't driven the car yet. Hell, I still haven't been able to set base timing or get it idling well yet. But I'm still learning this stuff. And if I can, through YouTube, email, and guys on forums, etc., anybody with 3 brain cells and a cup of coffee can. You just have to be patient and willing to learn.
      Michael Crawford

Wiring looks great! Are those covered relay holders from AAW too?

Nope. EBay shipped from Britain. There is actually not American Auto wire stuff in this car cause I'm too cheap. It is a much better harness than what I am running though, and if this was a customer's car, would be cheaper to install due to needing less rework.
      Michael Crawford

So any updates? I want to know how the spax shocks are. Wiring looks great!
      Benjamin

Twin Dusters
      '72 Plymouth Duster "Aero Duster" project
      '72 Plymouth Duster "Daily Duster" project
      https://www.pro-touring.com/showthre...RO-DUSTER-quot

I wish. Challenge car, job change, fleet management, and such all conspire against me. Maybe soon ill be able to make time to get back to it.
      Michael Crawford

...I know how that lack of time feels, I feel bad letting my demon 'rot' while I'm trying to fix up my tbird. But just this week I had a breakthrough on the demon, finally am getting the megasquirt tuned to where it's running better all around than the carb did- back to chirping tires through the gears (shouldn't have taken this long, but once again the whole life and time thing). I'm by no means an expert and I still don't think I know what I'm doing, but when you get to that point and you have questions let me know, maybe I can help some.
      Tim
      71' Demon-408, efi, 'viper spec' T56, Dana 60 w/ triangulated 4 link

Wow! It has came a long way from high school days. Glad we kept the 4000 lb club cars lol

Last budget: 10,974.34 ish
      Money spent and made:

around a grand on tuners and shops
      500ish on msd distributor, box, wires
      sold megasquirt for 1500
      500 for carb, fuel log, fittings, etc
      220 for used TR5 manifold
      36 fuel pressure regulator
      100 gaskets/coolant/hose/heat sheild
      50 seats
      140 new stereo (not arrived yet)
      closeout box: $1

New total: 12,021.34ish

so, the last few years have not been kind to this car. I have done everything in my power to tame, as well as thrown money at the megasquirt. I've paid tuners and shops. Changed to fuel only. Rewired things. Changed components. Ran oscilloscopes. Everything. And three weeks ago, on another test drive to tune and see what funky new thing it was doing, it quit. I could not get it restarted, and had to br brought home on a rollback. It fired right up when I got it back in the driveway.

Done. I quit. I admitted defeat, and decided fighting the megasquirt was fighting a losing battle. I have fought it so long, there is no way I could ever get the faith to actually drive the car for any distance. I just could not ever see myself trusting it. So I sold it.

A gentleman on moparts, who is a long time megasquirt user and fan, and has successfully been running a TBI megasquirt smallblock. He wants my setup to go multiport. God bless him.

So, I ripped this off
      20200315_172318 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr
      20200315_172235 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr
      20200327_150206 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr
      20200328_145740 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

honestly, it felt RIGHT pulling this setup off. Like hitting a mental reset button.

To replace it, I scored a well used edelbrock TR5 off ebay. Was 220 shipped. Seller blasted and painted it prior to shipment, as well as helicoiled every hole.
      20200327_102843 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

to go with it, I picked up a 650 holley brawler with electric choke and mechanical secondaries. A nice fuel log, a holley heat shield, new gaskets for the valve covers and intake, and an afco fan switch. Shot a coat of clear on the intake and heat shield to keep them looking nice.
      20200328_130526 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

I also had to drill and tap the fan switch hole. I hate drilling stuff, but I had to this time.

Got it all mounted up, and worked on plumbing.
      20200328_081025 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

since the car was set for EFI, I had to step the fuel pressure way down. To do so, I decided to use a bypass regulator. Bought one from ebay. Out of the box, it didn't drop pressure far enough. Only down to 20psi. To get the necessary reduction, I took the regulator apart and increased the orifice size on the return port to 3/16. the regulator was mounted to the heat shield at the back of the carb, EFI pressure rated hose was used throughout.
      20200401_172146 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

went ahead and used a coil bracket from an early small block chevy, wired in the choke and fans, and generally tidied everything up. I also re-polished the valve covers.

20200330_101653 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

turned out nice!
      20200401_081745 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr
      20200401_081750 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr
      20200401_081806 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr
      in the trunk, I finally addressed the fuel pump hole I cut oh so long ago. Before doing so, I finally installed a fuel filter. Sure, theres a sock filter on the pump, but it seemed like a good idea.
      20200330_093306 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

to cover the hole, I found a brownie tray at the dollar tree in the right size. Cut a notch for the hoses, added some double sided tape, and done!
      20200330_110008 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr
      20200330_110302 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

onto the interior!

The Lincoln seats died. Fore/aft motors ceased functioning. And they never fit all that well. And they went 75lbs each. So, I tossed them, in their place, I picked up a set of neon seats from an 04 sxt. Black, cloth, light, comfortable. The tracks required a bit of surgery to fit properly though. About six inches of movement inward on the outside track, as well as making the front bolts parallel to the floor instead of perpendicular.
      20200306_100820 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr
      20200306_102214 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr
      20200306_102954 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr
      20200306_102947 by Michael Crawford, on Flickr

so, the car is being driven again. This brings us up to today, where I used it to run errands. There's still a bit of carb tweaking to do, and a LOT of cleaning. Idle isnt right yet, and some bogging/hesitation. But, the car is starting better than ever, and the fear is gone. Today, I actually had joy driving it to my doctor appointment. (im not going hardly anywhere, and haven't in weeks. I'm in the category of folks that this will kill due to lung issues) i didn't fear coming home on a wrecker, or worry about it except returning to idle. So very, very nice.

So, short list:
      reinstall hood.
      Tune carb and ignition.
      Fix speedometer and tach calibration
      hook up parking brakes.
      New lowering blocks and spring clamps in back
      set front ride height and align
      install passengers seat and console
      fix HVAC issues and charge freon
      replace dead head unit, upgrade sub amp
      detail headlight to taillight.
      Michael Crawford